hattoncracker Registered User
#1

I'm posting this in the Ladies Lounge because I want a female perspective on this.

Now I'm respectful of all choices in life, but I really don't understand how other people can't be.

Why is it the mere mention of abortion ends with some people just totally loosing it? I know it's a sensitive subject, and if you don't agree with it then fine.

I have a friend who considered, but didn't have an abortion. She lost the baby at 13 weeks, and one of her friends who knew that she had considered it and is very pro life told her it was karma, and that she deserved to loose it, and that she and her bf were murderers.

I have had people in real life and on this forum jump down my throat because I believe that abortion should be legalised in this country and that every woman should have the right to it if she wants to. I believe that is traumatic as an experience, made all the more so because you can never tell anyone what you went through, and you have to travel out of the country for it.

I'm just wondering, what would you say if you met someone who openly told you she had an abortion because she wasn't capable of raising a child and didn't want to give up her job, education, etc? Would you think she was a horrible person? Or would you be able to look past her actions and not judge her on it?

36 people have thanked this post
Bannasidhe Registered User
#2

hattoncracker said:
I'm posting this in the Ladies Lounge because I want a female perspective on this.

Now I'm respectful of all choices in life, but I really don't understand how other people can't be.

Why is it the mere mention of abortion ends with some people just totally loosing it? I know it's a sensitive subject, and if you don't agree with it then fine.

I have a friend who considered, but didn't have an abortion. She lost the baby at 13 weeks, and one of her friends who knew that she had considered it and is very pro life told her it was karma, and that she deserved to loose it, and that she and her bf were murderers.

I have had people in real life and on this forum jump down my throat because I believe that abortion should be legalised in this country and that every woman should have the right to it if she wants to. I believe that is traumatic as an experience, made all the more so because you can never tell anyone what you went through, and you have to travel out of the country for it.

I'm just wondering, what would you say if you met someone who openly told you she had an abortion because she wasn't capable of raising a child and didn't want to give up her job, education, etc? Would you think she was a horrible person? Or would you be able to look past her actions and not judge her on it?


I have met many women who for various reasons had abortions. I can't say the knowledge ever changed my view of them. I personally wouldn't have an abortion but I support the right to choose and it is not my place to judge.

44 people have thanked this post
Nervous Wreck Moderator
#3

Personally, I think pro-lifers are scum and have eradicated them from my circle of friends. Someone asked me to sign a pro-life petition on the street the other day and the only thing that stopped me from spitting in his face was that I wasn't alone.

1 person has thanked this post
hattoncracker Registered User
#4

Nervous Wreck said:
Personally, I think pro-lifers are scum and have eradicated them from my circle of friends. Someone asked me to sign a pro-life petition on the street the other day and the only thing that stopped me from spitting in his face was that I wasn't alone.


Yeah.. Life isn't as black and white as they make it out to be. They make it seem like such an easy thing to just carry a baby to term and give it up for adoption. Women with unwanted pregnancies shouldn't be seen as an incubator.

18 people have thanked this post
jay phelan Registered User
#5

Everyone has the right to decide what they want to do with their body. Although I don't like the idea of abortion myself as long as it's not my own child then each to their own.

I think that in some cases abortion should be legalized, such as a victim of rape becomes pregnant with the rapists baby. That's a tough situation there and very understandable why a women would like to abort. Of course there's other situations out there and people should have the right to decide what would be best for them.

2 people have thanked this post
Novella Registered User
#6

hattoncracker said:
Yeah.. Life isn't as black and white as they make it out to be. They make it seem like such an easy thing to just carry a baby to term and give it up for adoption. Women with unwanted pregnancies shouldn't be seen as an incubator.


While personally I am pro-choice, I don't think there's any point arguing about abortion tbh. It has been done to death and realistically, no matter how much thought behind your belief, no matter how well-written your post, you're not gonna change somebody else's mind. And that's okay. Well, I think it's okay.

38 people have thanked this post
Einhard Registered User
#7

Nervous Wreck said:
Personally, I think pro-lifers are scum and have eradicated them from my circle of friends. Someone asked me to sign a pro-life petition on the street the other day and the only thing that stopped me from spitting in his face was that I wasn't alone.


With such an intolerant, entirely close minded, and borderline violent attitude like that, I imagine your circle of friends was fairly small to begin with.

39 people have thanked this post
Einhard Registered User
#8

hattoncracker...you claim that you're respectful of all positions in life, and yet another poster claims to want to spit in the faces of pro-lifers, and you thank the post. Doesn't sound like you're all that respectful and open to me. It seems that hysterical antagonism isn't just confined to the loony fringes of the pro-life movement.

7 people have thanked this post
hattoncracker Registered User
#9

Einhard said:
hattoncracker...you claim that you're respectful of all positions in life, and yet another poster claims to want to spit in the faces of pro-lifers, and you thank the post. Doesn't sound like you're all that respectful and open to me. It seems that hysterical antagonism isn't just confined to the loony fringes of the pro-life movement.



Thats her opinion.. I agree with it to an extent. But I would never spit in someones face. Im a huge believer in the right to free speech, but thats not what im asking here. Im not asking people for that, I'm asking what you would say if someone told you they'd had one. Would that change your opinion of them, or of abortion?

1 person has thanked this post
Einhard Registered User
#10

hattoncracker said:
Thats her opinion.. I agree with it to an extent. But I would never spit in someones face. Im a huge believer in the right to free speech, but thats not what im asking here. Im not asking people for that, I'm asking what you would say if someone told you they'd had one. Would that change your opinion of them, or of abortion?


I don't believe that abortion should be freely available. Yes, it should be an option when the life or health of the mother is threatened, but not otherwise.

That said, I'm not a zealot on the matter. I know people who have had abortions. They were kind, loving people before they had the procedure, and they were kind, loving people after they had the procedure. I was disappointed they had it, but it didn't change my opinion of them. I certainly didn't want to "eradicate" them from my circle of friends or wish to spit in their face.

7 people have thanked this post
Nervous Wreck Moderator
#11

Einhard said:
With such an intolerant, entirely close minded, and borderline violent attitude like that, I imagine your circle of friends was fairly small to begin with.


I am completely intolerant of people wanting to have a control over what women do with their own bodies, yes.


hattoncracker said:
Thats her opinion.. I agree with it to an extent.


His.

3 people have thanked this post
Mollikins Registered User
#12

I don’t have much of a problem with abortion itself. I don’t agree with it but at the same time I don’t think I’d judge someone else for having one. It’s not a decision a woman takes lightly and it’s likely she has a very good reason for doing so. But what I do have a problem with is women using it as a method of contraception. It’s on the increase and it’s very disturbing to hear of such stories.

Also the 24 week cut off point needs to be revised. So many babies are being born earlier and earlier and surviving thanks to advances in medicine. I know of 2 babies born severely premature (23 and 26 weeks) that are getting stronger everyday and are most definitely going to survive. The little baby born at 23 weeks legally could have been aborted if that was his mothers wish. And that is so incredibly wrong.

14 people have thanked this post
Einhard Registered User
#13

Nervous Wreck said:
I am completely intolerant of people wanting to have a control over what women do with their own bodies, yes.


It's all too easy to paint any contrary view as being fundamentalist and essentially misogynistic. Ironically, when you do so, you come across as just as intolerant and small minded as the people you rail against.

It's funny that in a thread started to discuss the hatefulness of pro-life loonies, you are the one who comes across as most full of bile.

I suppose I should be glad that the internet allows people to state a position without being spat on by people like you.

3 people have thanked this post
hattoncracker Registered User
#14

Einhard said:
With such an intolerant, entirely close minded, and borderline violent attitude like that, I imagine your circle of friends was fairly small to begin with.


I am completely intolerant of people wanting to have a control over what women do with their own bodies, yes.


hattoncracker said:
Thats her opinion.. I agree with it to an extent.


His.


My apologies..


And once and for all, this Is thread on how you would feel if someone you know had one and told you about it.. Its not about pro-lifers, abortion views, but it Is about how you view someone after the decision had been made and the deed had been done..

1 person has thanked this post
#15

Einhard said:
It's all too easy to paint any contrary view as being fundamentalist and essentially misogynistic. Ironically, when you do so, you come across as just as intolerant and small minded as the people you rail against.


That's exactly why any attempt at discussion about abortion (and some other topics) always descend into the exact same kind of shouting match.

4 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!