censuspro Registered User
#1

If memory serves me correct, there were alot more Honda Civics on the road in the 90's. Even boy racers were driving them along wth the VW Golf.

Am I right in thnking that the Civic has lost it's market share in Ireland?

djimi Registered User
#2

Theres still a lot of Civics knocking around. The 90s models were the ones popular with "boy racers" (I really hate that term...); the newer models didnt really hit that scene at all. Theres still a fair amount of mid to late 90s model Civics knocking around, but as with any car from that era age and scrappage schemes has taken its toll. Doesnt help that so many of the hatchback model got modified beyond recognition!

Im not really sure why there are less on the road than there once were but price and running costs might have something to do with it. Hondas were never cheap to buy and Civics especially have a stigma attacked to them with insurance companies that makes them more expensive/difficult to insure. Its not really what people want nowadays where the trend seems to be more for 1.4 diesels that are cheap to buy and run.

Testament1 Registered User
#3

censuspro said:
If memory serves me correct, there were alot more Honda Civics on the road in the 90's. Even boy racers were driving them along wth the VW Golf.

Am I right in thnking that the Civic has lost it's market share in Ireland?


The reason "boy racers" were driving them was because the top model EG and EK Civics were actually decent performance cars which were fairly cheap to run. Of course there were plenty lads who went for the tarted up 1.4s because they couldnt afford the real deal.

Main reason you dont see many of the performance variants on the road these days is due high insurance and rising fuel prices aswell as loss of jobs and emigration. The tacky 1.4s are a rare sight as their former owners are most likely driving around in a serious booooo machine these days . Of course there were lots of people who would have opted in to the scrappage scheme and bought a new car aswell.

There is still a good dart of Civics of that era about but nowhere near as much as there used to be. Newer Civics werent too popular with younger drivers because they were for the most part pretty bland, boring cars.

voojeq Registered User
#4

IMO all civics are either modified beyond recognition or trashed to pieces by its users.

Ones from the 90's are the most popular because of EG and EK series as mentioned earlier on here. New (2010) civic is **** in many ways, and actually handles worse than the previous (EP) version.

Srsly only EK and EG's are worth a punt. EG's are becoming very rare now and EK's are next in line.

Times change.

JoeA3 Registered User
#5

Strangely, Civics have never remotely had a reputation as a boy-racer mobile in the UK.

In fact they have the completely opposite image!

ShadowHearth Registered User
#6

Well do we talk about why civic drop in popularity as model, or where did all the old ones gone?

Well part 1:

I don't think that spaceship look did a faivor to civic latest generation. It is defenetly not for the everyone, so they limited their sales alot by this. 2.2 diesel ( pre 08 tax system ) did not do a faivor too. Anything above 2.0 and tax goes to lialia land!

Part 2:

Why there are no old ones around? Well... Alot of th died on roads, there is a reason why they are I'm black list of insurance companies. Good few rusted away I guess, it's not a young car ( eg ). Like mentioned above: alot of those are destroyed by awesome body kits or heavy foots.

jayok Registered User
#7

ShadowHearth said:
Well do we talk about why civic drop in popularity as model, or where did all the old ones gone?


In response to Part 1:

I think the drop in popularity was simply due to cost. Granted the older EG/EK Civic were not the cheapest car, but in terms of reliability and general performance they were pretty good.

It seems the other manufacturers have simply caught up and even pass Honda in this regard. Most petrol cars have vastly improved relability from those of the 90s (e.g. Ford Escorts, Orions) and the Civic has lost ground here. To try and hold market share, Honda have attempted to shove the Civic into the Premium section of the band by offering things like cruise, panoramic roofs, etc, but now they are simply too expensive.

So, while the older Civic's were simple, but reliable, the newer Civic have tended towards the same as other brands, albeit more expensive. I mean Kia and Hyundai have really upped the their game.

ShadowHearth Registered User
#8

jayok said:
In response to Part 1:

I think the drop in popularity was simply due to cost. Granted the older EG/EK Civic were not the cheapest car, but in terms of reliability and general performance they were pretty good.

It seems the other manufacturers have simply caught up and even pass Honda in this regard. Most petrol cars have vastly improved relability from those of the 90s (e.g. Ford Escorts, Orions) and the Civic has lost ground here. To try and hold market share, Honda have attempted to shove the Civic into the Premium section of the band by offering things like cruise, panoramic roofs, etc, but now they are simply too expensive.

So, while the older Civic's were simple, but reliable, the newer Civic have tended towards the same as other brands, albeit more expensive. I mean Kia and Hyundai have really upped the their game.


That might be spot on m8. From something unique: simple, sturdy, reliable, they went in to " same as others" + weird design.

Gary ITR Registered User
#9

I own two of them


For the road


For the track


While in certain guises they are very quick and handle really well I certainly wouldn't like to be in a crash in one that doesn't have a cage. They are like tin cans

4 people have thanked this post
Atlantic Dawn Registered User
#10

The reason numbers are so down is price, they were retailing in or around €25k for a basic spec model, this compared to change of €20k for the likes of a Golf or Corolla. I see Honda have the new model now for around €20k so sales may improve.

Green Hornet Registered User
#11

I would have thought that there were more of the outgoing Civic models on the road than the previous 01-05 models though? They were desperate looking yokes.

Good few of the spaceship models around where I'm from.

colm_mcm Registered User
#12

Don't forget, they didn't sell in big numbers here, but they came in from Japan by the boatload, I remember in the 90s importers just imported corolla and corona diesels for the taxi drivers, pajeros for the farmers and businessmen, and civics for the racers.

savagecabbages Registered User
#13

JoeA3 said:
Strangely, Civics have never remotely had a reputation as a boy-racer mobile in the UK.

In fact they have the completely opposite image!


Hondas have a reputation for being driven by OAPs in many other countries...
Funny how something takes off here & nowhere else. Or vice-versa

bazz26 Registered User
#14

Most of the guys that owned them also have moved on to a "felt" spec A4 TDi or Altezza.

lau1247 Registered User
#15

I've seen a few honda variant oversea that are different in styling and why they never bother bringing the Honda City to the european market (Other than poland I see on wikipedia) is beyond me..

Nice compact saloon with a decent output petrol engine.. Drove one before, gotta love that v-tec engine..

Also drove the 2 litre Saloon Honda Civic.. superb car.. very light chassis and great poke when needed.. it really is a free revving engine

If they sell the 2 litre saloon civic here in ireland, I'd seriously consider it..

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!