randy hickey Registered User
#46

Simple solution to this problem;

1) Leave all "sharp" motorway exits as they are.

2) Introduce drifting to the driving test.

5 people have thanked this post
Chimaera Registered User
#47

As others have said, the problem with these junctions isn't the bend at the end, it's the ridiculously short decelerating lane you get on the main carriageway.

To arrive at the bend at a safe speed, you either leave the traffic lane at 80 km/h or less, or use the hard shoulder to decelerate. Slowing down that much in traffic is not terribly safe or courteous to other drivers, and you're not really meant to use the hard shoulder to drive in.

#48

deandean said:
That Roscrea one an the M7 is I reckon, the worst / most dangerous one in the country.



The Moneygal one is way worse.. Every time I go down there, I'm tempted to stay going to Nenagh it's that bad!

Guy:Incognito Registered User
#49

mcwhirter said:


Plenty of trucks tipped over on the exits of m50 for instance due to too tight bends.


Was the truck that tipped over doing more than the (iirc) 30km limit posted on those bends?


Well hung said:

Another slip road were it can be quite difficult to merge on in heavy traffic is the n3 to m50 heading northbound. If you were to only cross were the broken lines are all you have is about 2 and half car lengths, it also narrows very quickly.


Your not meant to fly up to that bit then look to your right and hope for a gap. When your merging you have all the space before that part to line yourself up in a gap.

It never ceaeses to amaze me how 90% of the cars fight their way in to the right slip lane on all the M50 ramps then try merge in the few meteres as a big block instead of usesing the huge long lane to the right that goes all the way to the next junction when they can take their time to merge.

challengemaster Registered User
#50

Ronnie Beck said:
no last minute decisions here. It's lucky there's a second turn off the far side of ennis. Must have been a issues with the budget on this one.

(Invalid img)


(Invalid img)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us


Have to say any time I've driven that road, I've found that was the most fun part of it

L1011 Moderator
#51

Guy:Incognito said:
Was the truck that tipped over doing more than the (iirc) 30km limit posted on those bends?


The 30 limit is from after the truck-tipping. But I'd imagine they were doing more than the 50 that was posted before.

antodeco Warning: Contains traces of nuts
#52

The fassaroe junction at Bray isn't the best turn off either.

Marlow Registered User
#53

Well, one that's serious bad, is the junction of the M18 at Crusheen. http://osm.org/go/eseYzLLRp-

The short offrun and the bend are one problem, but honestly, the planner that designed this needs to be shot.

Who lets one sliproad end at another sliproad in a T-junction ? Instead of bringing it into the roundabout where the other sliproad is ending ?

/M

Well hung Registered User
#54

mcwhirter said:


Plenty of trucks tipped over on the exits of m50 for instance due to too tight bends.


Was the truck that tipped over doing more than the (iirc) 30km limit posted on those bends?


Well hung said:

Another slip road were it can be quite difficult to merge on in heavy traffic is the n3 to m50 heading northbound. If you were to only cross were the broken lines are all you have is about 2 and half car lengths, it also narrows very quickly.


Your not meant to fly up to that bit then look to your right and hope for a gap. When your merging you have all the space before that part to line yourself up in a gap.

It never ceaeses to amaze me how 90% of the cars fight their way in to the right slip lane on all the M50 ramps then try merge in the few meteres as a big block instead of usesing the huge long lane to the right that goes all the way to the next junction when they can take their time to merge.


I'm fully aware of lining yourself up, but even still with cars merging in ahead of you causing cars to slow down this can be hard to get 100% right, this is why I feel its a bit of a short merge on lane.

And in the junction I'm talking about, the direction I come from only allows you to merge on at this lane, not the other to the left.

keithclancy Registered User
#55



If you move back a bit you'll see that you have a good 200 meters to slow down before the exit:

Link

If your taking the exit its a given that you slow down to 50km/h.

In my experience its the people that tailgate the people joining the motorway at 80km/h. If they are driving slowly down the slip road i'll slow down to give myself a good 150 meter Gap, then I have plenty of space to pick up speed and join at the pace of traffic.

IMO Belgium is the worst, they have some crazy parts where you can turn around on the Dual Carriage way and pull in from Overtaking lane and join on the overtaking lane, Poland is the same I believe.

Germany is ok, if someone is flaking down the right hand lane then they should pull out to leave you join the Motorway. The exits within exits are more confusing, especially when using a sat nav.

Irelands grand, driving when I'm back I haven't experienced any bad slip roads, if you can't see the road ahead slow to 50km/h.

Same rule as over here really, take your time, leave enough space between you and the car in front.

johnam Registered User
#56

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=52.858161,-8.937179&spn=0.001772,0.005284&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.857911,-8.937154&panoid=mbq5zOzyqPh2EW3ESfQ7UQ&cbp=12,327.23,,0,24.4&z=18


There is not big slowing down lane here, 30 meters or so.... this is junction 13, junction 14 has already been pictured in this thread....planners should be shot. as I said earlier, the lane for joining the motorway is short too, leaving no chance to have gotten up to proper speeds before pulling onto the motorway

johnam Registered User
#57

This is junction 13 in the opposite direction....again, I dont understand why 1) they made it such a tight turn off when they have so much land left to the side, which could have been used to create a easier turn, meaning you don't have to slow on the motorway. and 2) if they wanted to make the turn that tight, who didn't they use a bit more than 30 odd meters for a slowing (exit) lane....

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=52.861004,-8.937413&spn=0.000886,0.002642&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.861136,-8.937452&panoid=6oiK8vINiDEpJLxbcXHVdw&cbp=12,4.85,,0,-2.47&z=19

johnam Registered User
#58

keithclancy said:

IMO Belgium is the worst, they have some crazy parts where you can turn around on the Dual Carriage way and pull in from Overtaking lane and join on the overtaking lane, Poland is the same I believe.



You don't have to go to Poland or Belguim to find that....there used to be two or three of those junctions along the dual carriage way from Limerick to Ennis, most are gone now I think, but for example....http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&ll=52.678503,-8.692353&spn=0.003558,0.010568&t=m&layer=c&cbll=52.678586,-8.692969&panoid=4Wj4JCE1fVitGtP0M1ZHgw&cbp=12,334.21,,0,11.71&z=17

#59

Guy:Incognito said:
Was the truck that tipped over doing more than the (iirc) 30km limit posted on those bends?


Your not meant to fly up to that bit then look to your right and hope for a gap. When your merging you have all the space before that part to line yourself up in a gap.

It never ceaeses to amaze me how 90% of the cars fight their way in to the right slip lane on all the M50 ramps then try merge in the few meteres as a big block instead of usesing the huge long lane to the right that goes all the way to the next junction when they can take their time to merge.


I am sure it wasn't 30kmh at the time and was changed due to the multiple pile-ups

#60

mcwhirter said:
I am sure it wasn't 30kmh at the time and was changed due to the multiple pile-ups



The horizontal radii used in this type of junction design is for a 30km/h design speed.

I'd be more than suprised if the posted speed limit ever exceed this.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!