vectra Registered User

i_am_job said:
WHAT TYPE OF CAR IS THAT??

Pic is under my username

mathepac Banned

i_am_job said:
WHAT TYPE OF CAR IS THAT??
Please, this thread is a big enough pain in the face already without you shouting in the middle of it.

The OP made no sense and the thread hasn't really improved since. It seems to one of a plague of nonsense threads started in motors recently.

mathepac said:
Please, this thread is a big enough pain in the face already without you shouting in the middle of it.

The OP made no sense and the thread hasn't really improved since. It seems to one of a plague of nonsense threads started in motors recently.

I find the plague of pointless posts instead of reports much more annoying tbh. If there's an issue, report it. Its much more beneficial to the forum than moaning about it.

5 people have thanked this post
dr.fuzzenstein Registered User

MCMLXXV said:
Was this before or after the war?

Hey, I'm not that old!

2 people have thanked this post

Boring yokes. I'd much rather drive a car with a small petrol engine. Like that Fiat 500 with a 2cyl engine or similar efficient petrol engine, actually the MPI isn't bad but newer petrol engines are more efficient again.

Miniscule torque band, all the extra ****e they added to diesel engines over the years that makes them more troublesome than petrol engines

Electric cars would be nice but the simple fact is that the batteries that are actually available to buy right now just don't last long enough and cost too much. Even if they fixed that I'd want a nice petrol sports car with manual box to go for a taer in now and again

Tea 1000 Registered User

vectra said:
Not entirely so.

Operating temp in my car is 90 deg. to which it is advised to keep it under 2.5k rpm

@ 2.5k rpm I am doing over the motorway speed limit so no problem here.

As for turbo spooling up?? Not a problem there..Spools up just fine.. and can rev out to 5k..at which my car would be doing over 150mph..
Not bad for a duzel

The operating temp is the same, but diesels do take longer to get there. And they're like a cranky toddler when cold, noisy and reluctant!
And 1800rpm to just under 5k rpm isn't exactly a fantastic rev-range!! Off-boost they are pathetic too. All diesels should be auto.

Tea 1000 said:
All diesels should be auto.

]

They shouldn't exist at all. Damn thing constantly changing gear. I know someone with a ML270 CDI. Biggest heap of sh*t ever

CiniO Registered User

So far 11 years of owning a car, and I never chanced it with a diesel.
Petrol (or few times LPG) was always a way for me.

SeanW Registered User

i_am_job said:
what do y'all think of e cars?
E cars are a joke, battery technology is pathetic and the battery replaces a cheap fuel tank with an expensive battery. Bye bye to motoring for anyone who is not wealthy or middle class (no more being able to get pre-owned cars for €1000-€2000), and bye bye to any kind of long distance car travel because the batteries are sh**e.

They will only ever be a distant 2nd best option when/if liquid/chemical fuels cease to be viable.

what do y'all think of diesel cars?
Love them. My ride is a 99 Avensis, diesel, an absolute joy to drive. Cost me just over a grand, sips fuel, cruises nicely on long drives, carries a ton of stuff, never broke down etc.

Modern diesels however have much more hifalutan pollution control systems, e.g. Diesel Particulate Filters, these are somewhat unstable and can cost big €€€s to fix.

Kevin Irving said:
I guess you haven't heard of Tesla Motors.
Ah yes, because everyone has €100,000 to spare ...

1 person has thanked this post

SeanW said:

Ah yes, because everyone has €100,000 to spare ...

and another 20k for a new battery in 5-6 years when the thing falls below acceptable range. thats even if you don't use it much

1 person has thanked this post
Dartz Registered User

eth0 said:
and another 20k for a new battery in 5-6 years when the thing falls below acceptable range. thats even if you don't use it much

Liquid battery.

Solves everything. Recharged by draining the old electrolyte, and filling it with fresh. Old electrolyte can be purified and recharged.

Kevin Irving said:
I guess you haven't heard of Tesla Motors.

be lucky to have a car like that mainstream by 2022 to the general public, so for the moment e cars for me are a no no.

Tea 1000 said:
The operating temp is the same, but diesels do take longer to get there. And they're like a cranky toddler when cold, noisy and reluctant!
And 1800rpm to just under 5k rpm isn't exactly a fantastic rev-range!! Off-boost they are pathetic too. All diesels should be auto.

Mine seems to pull just fine from just under 1k revs, where most petrols don't exactly do well.
So 1k to 5k revs, that'll do me!
You can drive it just on torque, from 1k revs to 2k revs through town.
A lot of smaller petrols need their nuts revved off to get anything out of them.

4 people have thanked this post

dr.fuzzenstein said:
Mine seems to pull just fine from just under 1k revs, where most petrols don't exactly do well.
So 1k to 5k revs, that'll do me!
You can drive it just on torque, from 1k revs to 2k revs through town.
A lot of smaller petrols need their nuts revved off to get anything out of them.

I'd say mine starts from 1200-1300 rpm or so. Then the awesomeness () of the TDI kicks in at about 1500 and the planet rotates the other way.

I was always an anti-diesel chap until I test drove a few a year or so. Diesels really have come on in the past few years, and have come a long long way since the n/a (and some early turbo) "tractors" of the 90's imo.

5 people have thanked this post

Max Power1 said:
I'd say mine starts from 1200-1300 rpm or so. Then the awesomeness () of the TDI kicks in at about 1500 and the planet rotates the other way.

I was always an anti-diesel chap until I test drove a few a year or so. Diesels really have come on in the past few years, and have come a long long way since the n/a (and some early turbo) "tractors" of the 90's imo.

Had an '04 Focus TDDI van once, zero power from idle to 2k revs, went nuts from 2k to 4k revs and ran out of puff again above that.
So, 2k to 4k rpm of usable power, needed to be stirred a lot. The 1.8 TDCI is a lot more well spread.
Don't think an autobox would be an improvement, since they almost always disagree with what I think the car should do.
Friend once had a MKII Gold TDI in the 80's, seemed to be an ok thing to drive for the time.
Most people had a 1.6 diesel non turbo back then, it was a revelation.

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!