JuliusCaesar Moderator

According to Padraig O Morain in todays' Irish Times:

The proportion of men who never marry is higher in towns and cities than in the countryside, according to the 2011 census.

In all, 25 per cent of men and 23 per cent of women aged 40-49 in urban areas are single. For rural areas the figures were 21 per cent and 13 per cent respectively

Linky

JuliusCaesar said:
According to Padraig O Morain in todays' Irish Times:

Linky

I find that so sad but I don't think it tells us how many co-habiting but I do know of at least three women in their sixties that are now alone and the case of all three it was because they had to look of a parent or prevented marrying by a parent.

2 people have thanked this post
JuliusCaesar Moderator

Galen said:
I find that so sad but I don't think it tells us how many co-habiting but I do know of at least three women in their sixties that are now alone and the case of all three it was because they had to look of a parent or prevented marrying by a parent.

That's very sad.

One is now the Irish version of the cat-lady out of 'The Simpsons' :-)

Probably Registered User

Southern Hero said:
Any women in their 40s into dating guys in their 20s or is that a myth?

Not a myth. I'm almost 40, but most people my age are a bore. Or shockingly stubborn and crotchety like. I'd ttly date a guy in his 20's - given he was bright and employed. I'm not sure I'd go looking for him online though.

I don't think I'd like to be in a relationship with a woman that was 30 years older than me

JuliusCaesar Moderator

I don't think I'd like to be in a relationship with a man that was 20 years older than me!

Probably said:
Not a myth. I'm almost 40, but most people my age are a bore. Or shockingly stubborn and crotchety like. I'd ttly date a guy in his 20's - given he was bright and employed. I'm not sure I'd go looking for him online though.

I remember reading in one of the Sunday papers a few months ago of a married couple who are 24yrs apart - he's 50 she's 74 - they met when he was 18 and he did all the chasing - they're still happily married. So there's hope for us all lol

JuliusCaesar Moderator

Here's a really interesting article both about the internet dating business, and about people's attitudes on ID sites.

unscrupulous site operators sometimes stuff their databases with fake profiles maintained either by their own staff or by people they have paid. These “ghosts”, in the industry’s jargon, are used to draw in new punters and to help keep existing ones hooked.

the sites treat human beings as if they are goods that can be fully defined according to a set of standard attributes, in much the same way that, say, a digital camera can be described by the number of megapixels that it has and other characteristics. But this cold, drearily functional approach to assessing compatibility fails to capture the indefinable spark that triggers romance.

Memo to self

JuliusCaesar said:
Here's a really interesting article both about the internet dating business, and about people's attitudes on ID sites.

Memo to self

1: stick to new members, because it's true about these ghost accounts.
2: most of us should be used to being treated as goods with Facebook and Google lol

JuliusCaesar Moderator

I've been busy researching! This is alas true.

1 person has thanked this post
Jellybaby1 Registered User

JuliusCaesar said:
I've been busy researching! This is alas true.

Ick!

Smashhits Registered User

Probably said:

I've recently gone online dating and I'm 39, all I seem to get are guys in their 20's. I just can't seem to bring myself to actually meet them....my son is nearly that age. It's the ewww factor!

Italia Registered User

Hi,

MOD EDIT: Snipped dating info.

I've been out of the dating game for so long (over 28yrs) that I have no idea of even how to start. I've looked at dating sites, but TBH, they frighten the crap out of me.
Any suggestions?

OldGoat Registered User

Folk, please remember that we are here to discuss dating sites not to provide a dating service.

3 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!