Glad to see the West African division of War of Independence has been remembered in the name of a new cafe in Thomondgate. Along with the Limerick Soviet, it's a small bit of history that's good to see remembered.

6 people have thanked this post
Kess73 Registered User

Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.

3 people have thanked this post

Kess73 said:
Had never heard of that little piece of Limerick history until now. Thanks for piquing my curiousity enough for me to do a search online about it. Think I may have to delve deeper into Limerick's history during the War of Independence as a result.

The O'Ruairc (?) book is a great little read.

1 person has thanked this post
Itsdacraic Registered User

Kess73 said:

Limericks Fighting Story is a brilliant book detailing the various incidents around Limerick at the time

phill106 Registered User
phog Registered User

Amazotheamazing said:
The O'Ruairc (?) book is a great little read.

More info here on this post on the Limerick Library Thread.

superheroger Registered User

what a brilliant story. well done to the new cafe in thomondgate for commemorating such a brave man, we needed all the help we could get in those years. I will definately have a coffee in his honour at Jack Mondays very soon.

Raiser Registered User

superheroger said:
what a brilliant story. well done to the new cafe in thomondgate for commemorating such a brave man, we needed all the help we could get in those years. I will definately have a coffee in his honour at Jack Mondays very soon.

I will now too aim to spend money in your Cafe Timmy Tuesday

zulutango Registered User

I live very nearby and have already been there a few times.

It's a lovely little spot, with good food that isn't expensive. It's been tastefully decorated inside, and there's a nice deck onto the river which will be a cool place to hang out in summer time.

He should consider opening in the evenings because the footfall on Clancy Strand is quite high at these times, compared to during the day time, and he could get a lot of business from this passing trade.

superheroger Registered User

Also I might add its a great show of courage to open a business in Ireland in these challenging times. The location required a nice cafe for local residents, pass /walking trade and our tourists. well done Mr. Jack Monday and may you do exceedingly well.

I can't wait to spend all my money in there now that I've read this on teh internets.

Raiser Registered User

superheroger said:
Also I might add its a great show of courage to open a business in Ireland in these challenging times. The location required a nice cafe for local residents, pass /walking trade and our tourists. well done Mr. Jack Monday and may you do exceedingly well.

Please stop insulting our intellilgunces, it hurts.....

martyc5674 Registered User

zulutango said:
I live very nearby and have already been there a few times.

It's a lovely little spot, with good food that isn't expensive. It's been tastefully decorated inside, and there's a nice deck onto the river which will be a cool place to hang out in summer time.

He should consider opening in the evenings because the footfall on Clancy Strand is quite high at these times, compared to during the day time, and he could get a lot of business from this passing trade.

Agree with all the above. Well kitted out
Was in there and and I believe they will have a wine licence and later opening soon

Louche Lad Registered User

Finally got myself to Jack Monday's. Excellent place, can't really fault it (only oddity is having to pick a teabag out of a box). Very clean, polite staff, good quality cakes, great view of the river (will be fantastic in summer). Especially pleased there's no intrusive piped music.

gaf1983 Registered User

Does anybody know what the opening hours are?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!