cambridge Banned
#16

why hasn't the current psu president got around to it? is she another slacker? i quite liked her.

Mossin Registered User
#17

Best of luck to all the candidates running.
This election tends to get overlooked in UL, but considering how much postgrads have to pay to study there, it's a very important position.

For those criticising Thomas Ryan on his 'mistake' about the name need to give him some credit for actually investigating the name change, and actively promoting the new name in his campaign. Kudos!

cambridge Banned
#18

he's also a very nice chap seemed very decent when talking to him

Popoutman Registered User
#19

To the OP - I do apologise, I wasn't aware of the name change and the current duplicity of naming conventions.

Good luck with the campaign.

1 person has thanked this post
CianSpillane Registered User
#20

Hi all,
My name is Cian Spillane and I am running for PSU President. The elections are next tuesday and I would appreciate any support. This is a link to my facebook page where you can find my manifesto http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Cian-Spillane-for-PSU-President/253831971361698 . My email address is 11101288@studentmail.ul.ie. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.
Regards
Cian Spillane

Bored Accountant Registered User
#21

Chimaera said:
There seems to be precious little in that manifesto for research postgrads who are a substantial group within the postgrad cohort. Does Thomas Ryan plan to only represent taught postgrads?


First off, at a recent researchers focus group that was arranged by the current PSU President, only 6 research post grads turned up.
For students problems to be solved, they must first ask for help.

From discussion with research post grads prior to compiling the manifesto many of the problems experienced by them are departmental problems or problems that the PSU President would be unable to fix.

Thomas will do everything that he can to help all postgrads and not just taught post grads. Obviously the job will entail solving problems as they occur and not just trying to implement policies that are on the manifesto.

Do not be afraid to approach Thomas while he is out around campus and express your concerns and problems.

Presidential Hustings will be taking place this Monday at 3pm in the PSA Common Room! So come along and have your voice heard and meet the candidates.

Bored Accountant Registered User
#22

ninty9er said:
It's since last semester, but I think a new website is in the pipeline.


A vote was taken at the PSU AGM to change the name last semester. Sarah-Jane has been trying to get a new website developed but this hasn't happened as of yet.

Thomas who is currently studying computers for his post grad plans to develop a new website himself and to keep this well updated so that there is a place where Post Grad Students can refer to and find the information their looking for easily.

Chimaera Registered User
#23

Bored Accountant said:
First off, at a recent researchers focus group that was arranged by the current PSU President, only 6 research post grads turned up.
For students problems to be solved, they must first ask for help.

From discussion with research post grads prior to compiling the manifesto many of the problems experienced by them are departmental problems or problems that the PSU President would be unable to fix.

Thomas will do everything that he can to help all postgrads and not just taught post grads. Obviously the job will entail solving problems as they occur and not just trying to implement policies that are on the manifesto.


That may be the case, but to exclude them from his manifesto is going to alienate a lot of researchers before they ever even meet/hear him. TBH, my first impression of him was that manifesto and based on that I had written him off because it looked like he was only interested in taught postgrads. He's got work to do now

Bored Accountant Registered User
#24

Chimaera said:
That may be the case, but to exclude them from his manifesto is going to alienate a lot of researchers before they ever even meet/hear him. TBH, my first impression of him was that manifesto and based on that I had written him off because it looked like he was only interested in taught postgrads. He's got work to do now


There are a number of policies within his manifesto which relate to both research and taught post grads.

Trying to increase the bursaries and financial aid to be able to aid even more students in difficulty. This can help all post grads who need it.

Creating an induction period. Although this will not relate to current postgrads, it will help future postgrads who come to UL to make more friends. Taught post grads can have no problem making new friends as there in classes and a structured environment, however it is much more difficult for research postgrads, as they are usually working in a one on one environment with their supervisor.

Actively Oppose Increased Fees: This has an impact on all Postgrads. especially research postgrads who may have part funding for 3 years, but then must pay continuation fees to complete their study. It is important that these do not increase as it will hinder the completion of studies, which will in return not reflect well on the college that research isn't being completed.

Polar Ice Registered User
#25

While I do apologies for my mistake on the PSA vs. PSU stuff, I am still humoured

Bored Accountant said:
Presidential Hustings will be taking place this Monday at 3pm in the PSA Common Room!


Did they forget to update the name of that too

Bored Accountant said:
A vote was taken at the PSU AGM to change the name last semester. Sarah-Jane has been trying to get a new website developed but this hasn't happened as of yet.


I know Thomas would know this, but maybe Sarah-Jane doesn't: You don't need a whole new website to reflect the change of the name.

Bored Accountant Registered User
#26

Polar Ice said:
While I do apologies for my mistake on the PSA vs. PSU stuff, I am still humoured


Did they forget to update the name of that too


I know Thomas would know this, but maybe Sarah-Jane doesn't: You don't need a whole new website to reflect the change of the name.


My mistake on the Hustings taking place in the "PSA" Commonroom. I just copy & pasted from Sarah-Jane's post on the PSU Facebook page.

And actually looking at the www.ulsu.ie, they never updated name on the link to the PSU page.
So really, the name was changed last semester, but very little was done to implement the name change around the campus, and this needs to be addressed so that Post Grads actually know the name of the Union who is representing them.

A whole new website isn't needed, but the current one needs to be updated and kept up to date. I know Sarah-Jane has had discussions with people to create a new website, but the student she was talking to never got back to her. If you check around the website, I think the only piece that has been updated all year is the President Profile. All other positions are still last years profiles and all news stories are quite old.

With the era were in now, where everyone wants information straight away, the PSA website should be an important tool for the President to be able to communicate with all the Post Grad Students quite easily, and it is Thomas's aim to do this.

Bored Accountant Registered User
#27

Just to let everyone know hustings has been changed to 5pm this evening in the PSU Commonroom.
Feel free to come along and grill the candidates to find the best one.
There will also be free tea, coffee & biscuits available.

johnny-fatality Registered User
#28

Bored Accountant said:
Just to let everyone know hustings has been changed to 5pm this evening in the PSU Commonroom.
Feel free to come along and grill the candidates to find the best one.
There will also be free tea, coffee & biscuits available.


Just read the change of time email now, means I can't make it. Pretty annoying to be honest, changing the time on the day of the event.

Bored Accountant Registered User
#29

johnny-fatality said:
Just read the change of time email now, means I can't make it. Pretty annoying to be honest, changing the time on the day of the event.


No idea why it was changed. I only found out and posted here.

If you have any questions for Thomas post them up here I'll get an answer off him as quick as possible. Obviously not the same environment as the hustings. Alternatively PM me and i'll see if he can arrange a different time so you can talk to him, if you haven't already met him.

johnny-fatality Registered User
#30

Bored Accountant said:
Obviously not the same environment as the hustings.



Just annoyed to be honest, don't have any pressing questions for either candidate but was looking forward to a bit of debate. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!