stylie Registered User

Best advice I can give a complete beginner in fly fishing, join here
http://www.flyforums.co.uk/index.php
there are a few posters here over there and you will get great advice and deals. Lots of reels and line half price or better

Thanks for all the replies! I stocked up on pike and coarse gear last year so i dont have too much to get there, also mainly feathers for sea fishing so most of my budget will be on the fly gear. Thanks again

aidanf Registered User

frankcarty said:
Thanks for all the replies! I stocked up on pike and coarse gear last year so i dont have too much to get there, also mainly feathers for sea fishing so most of my budget will be on the fly gear. Thanks again

Wychwood truefly is a very good fly rod for the price. I've the 9'6" 6/7 and it's a good all-round rod, very easy to cast. Cost me about €80 online. To look at it and use it you would think it cost a good bit more.

For the reel I have the Snowbee XSD. Can be got online with a couple of spare spools for around €60. It's a good reel for the price and it's easy to pop spools in and out. You'll want at least a couple of spools with floating and intermediate line on them.

If you're wondering about where to spend your budget I'd say spend it on the lines. If you get a good value rod and reel like the ones listed above and have a bit left in your budget I'd say spend in on a couple of good lines rather than going for a really cheap line. I'd recommend Cortland 444.

Mr.Woodcock Registered User

would highly reccomend looking at something like 9'6'' 6# rod, its ideal for starting fly fishing its not to long for a trip to the local river neither is it too short for a trip stockie lakes, its best of both worlds , but if its just river trout 9' 4-5# is perfect and if its the lakes 10' 7# is ideal, see if you can pick up the old greys mk2 rod, are a serious piece of kit, but no longer made, you might just pick one up for around 75-125 quid , for a rod that originally sold for 235e! any thing by greys, airflo, daiwa, scierra, vision, all reasonably priced and good qyaliity! same go's for the reels and line! but would recommend a weight forward line!

aidanf said:
I'd recommend Cortland 444.

+1 on the 444

stylie Registered User

For a beginner I would join the forum in my other post and buy line from the PitsfordPirate. For under 20e delivered with loops, his line will not be beaten and perform every bit aswell as 30-40e line. I have cortlands, rio gold and even tried sharkskin but I have the Pirates line on a couple of reels and don't need to change it. Now the 444 is probably the most successful floater of all time but I don't think a beginner would get any benefit from it over the Pirates cheaper lines. So use that forum and save all yourselves a bit of money

anthonyos Registered User

got a bruce and walker 8ft #5 secondhand from southside angling last week paid 100 perfect cond and i relly like it just wondering are they good rods and was it a good price...was going to get a greys 9ft for 150 but i think i got better deal second hand option..

ironbluedun Registered User

anthonyos said:
got a bruce and walker 8ft #5 secondhand from southside angling last week paid 100 perfect cond and i relly like it just wondering are they good rods and was it a good price...was going to get a greys 9ft for 150 but i think i got better deal second hand option..

yes BW trout rods are good.

experimenter Registered User

8ft, you are really kind of limiting yourself..

it will do for time being and the fella in the shop said i can trade in again foe a second hand sage when i want

experimenter Registered User

Fair enough but I'm kind of surprised at the guy in the shop selling you a 8ft rod, what kind of fishing did he expect you were doing, small streams!!

Considering of all of the advice mentioned here, not one person suggested an 8ft rod...and a 5WT at that, sure what will you do when there a small bit of a breeze, really disappointed and surprised by that guy in that shop, he should have known better..

For stockie bashing, either a 9ft 6-7 or a 10ft 6-7, you are covered for most if not all situations, even if you are doing a little boat fishing. I can't see you using a sinking line on a 8ft 5wt..

Personally I'd be heading back with it.. but only my opinion, I know I might sound a little harsh but that shop guy needs to wise up.

1 person has thanked this post

ye mainly small rivers and from what iv heard 8ft 5# is well suited to my needs...if need another rod for lakes and largers rivers il get one

invicta Registered User

Good luck with your purchase and I wish you tight lines.All you need now is loads of practice. Welcome to fly-fishing!!!!

TimMac Registered User

have a look at the shakespeare oddessey fly rods cheap as chips on ebay & they are a nice starter rod

tonymontana82 Registered User

guys whats yer opinions on those airflo fly kits out there, im new to fly fishing myself & purchased 1 at xmas, mainly for small rivers, i checked out internet reviews on them & they seemed quite good, i paid only 85 for the full set.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!