couerdelion Registered User

yes, they're really good value at that price.

pc11 Registered User

You can do 50m in 40-50 seconds and you're having trouble doing 750m? Something is not right there!

Unregistered. Registered User

pc11 said:
You can do 50m in 40-50 seconds and you're having trouble doing 750m? Something is not right there!

Closer to 50. And I'm boloxed after it.

L'Enfer du Nord Registered User

Unregistered. said:
Closer to 50. And I'm boloxed after it.

<note>I was last out of the water in my wave in the 1 and only Olympic Tri I've done</note>

I don't think the speed you can do a single 50m is much of a guide, I've never done an all-out fifty, I've sprinted 25m the odd time but don't usually time them. Can do one in c. 20 sec I think.

Its fairly irrelevant, I've never done 750 in the pool in under 16 mins.

Look at it this way someone who's fairly fit from running, or soccer could probably do a lap of a velodrome on a bike fairly fast, however if they've no cycling experience they could struggle to complete 40 km, certainly they'd suffer afterward.

I don't think you should worry too much about time.

Can you do 400m without a break in the pool?

Can you do 750m without a break?

Don't just swim long distances with out a break either, but knowing you can do 750 would be good psychologically.

Its all about technique.(I need to improve mine!)

Some useful ideas in this tread:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056529153

1 person has thanked this post
Domer Registered User

I assume your tri in July is going to be in a lake or the sea... if thats the case you will find it easier in the lake once you can overcome any fear that you have of the open water.

I find that when I am in the pool, I find it hard to get into a rhythm, whereas in the lake, you can easily do this, and just flow. If I go to the pool on my own I get bored after about 40 lenghts, and hit the hot tub... I just cant seem to do any more on my own, yet we do a swim session in my club every monday, and we cover about 2.2 k with out any bother.

I did my first sprint tri 3 years ago on 1 weeks swimming, and as I couldn't really swim, I did the 750 either breast or back strokes, and finished in 27 minutes. last year, I did the same swim in 13 minutes, and even managed an olympic last summer. Based on what you have said, you can swim! and once you get into the lake, and a good rhythm, you'll be fine. Try a few OW swims first though as the shock can be a problem on race day. July is a long time away yet!!!

Good Luck,
Domer

tunney Registered User

pc11 said:

50m sprint can be hold your breath and bash out the length.

won't work so well for 750m

Unregistered. Registered User

Are there any triathlon clubs in south Dublin it classes for beginners that anyone can recommend?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!