JB81 Registered User

Hi All

Just wondering what people think of the obvious changes that are taking place in the Tyrone set up and how it bodes for the future.
Taking into the account the retirement of double All-Ireland winner Kevin 'Hub' Hughes this week to add to Enda MCGinley, Brian Dooher, Philip Jordan, Ciaran Gourley & Brian McGuigan.

Take these out of the fantastic Triple All-Ireland winning squad and you would be forgiven for thinking its the end of the road. However they have still won and competed well in Minor and U-21 All Ireland in the last few years. so do people think that these youngsters coming in and with the likes of Stephen O'Neill, Owen Mulligan, Sean Kavanagh, Conor Gormley, Ricey McMenamim, McMahon brothers that Tyrone can rise once again?

JB

To Alcohol Registered User

Like Gerry once said "They haven't gone away you know". In fairness they seem to have some very good young players. It'll take time to incorporate them into the team and build them up etc. Promotion from Div 2 and to be playing football into August would be a good result for this year. Anything more than this would be a real bonus.

JB81 Registered User

Yeah, I feel we havent seen the last of them, I think if Mickey Harte didnt think they had anything he may have left at the top. Definitely one to watch out for is a young forward Ronan O'Neill, looks to be a great prospect.

Jayop Registered User

So in answer to the original OP, it seems yes, Tyrone have gone away and they won't be competing for an All Ireland or even realistically winning an Ulster while Donegal are so strong for a long time.

There's no general Tyrone GAA thread on here and this is as good as any to use having looked though the ones with Tyrone in the title over the last few years. Tyrone football has so much potential but something has stopped us moving with the times for a few years. We've stuck with the tactics that won us 3 all Irelands but we don't have the same level of player we had then and the other top counties have evolved to the point where our tactics won't see us beat a top 4 side for a long time unless we change.

Dublin, Mayo, Kerry and Donegal are all so much stronger than us. I'd put us in the next group with maybe Cork and Monaghan but even then I doubt we'd beat either of those in the championship at the moment.

I can see Tyrone having a good run in the qualifiers this summer, but the way the draw if set up, if we progress though the rounds we'll have to play the loser from Ulster or Connacht (probably Sligo or Monaghan) and even is we win that we'll have to face Donegal or Mayo. There's no chance really that we'll get to a semi final this year in that case.

This is how I see our side of the qualifiers going.

1B

Armagh v Wicklow
Wexford v Down
Louth v Leitrim
Tyrone v Limerick

You'd fancy the 3 Ulster teams to go though from that with the Louth Leitrim game being a toss up.

I'm trying to figure out who will be the next 4 teams to come into this pot.

The losers of;
Donegal/Derry
Meath/Westmeath

And the 2 already beaten semifinalists;
Tipp
Galway

So by my estimation the draw for the round 2b will be;
Armagh
Down
Louth/Leitrim
Tyrone

Vs

Derry
Westmeath
Tipp
Galway

The teams then play against each other to get down to two teams in 3b

Being added to this side of the draw once it's down to 2 teams for round 4 are;
Loser Connacht (likely Sligo)
Loser Ulster (Likely Monaghan)

Then for the (B) quarter finals the two winners from Ulster and Connacht are added so likely Mayo and Donegal.

1 person has thanked this post

Good idea to have a Tyrone thread and had changed the thread title to reflect this.

Tyrone at the minute remind me of Meath towards the end of the Sean Boylan years. Don't seem to be producing the underage success as much anymore and I think Mickey Harte has stayed on a wee bit too long and things have gone a bit stale.

Jayop Registered User

Tom Joad said:
Good idea to have a Tyrone thread and had changed the thread title to reflect this.

Tyrone at the minute remind me of Meath towards the end of the Sean Boylan years. Don't seem to be producing the underage success as much anymore and I think Mickey Harte has stayed on a wee bit too long and things have gone a bit stale.

Your second point about Harte is 100% correct. He's been an absolute legend for Tyrone and brought is success I could only have dreamt about 20 years ago however it seems now that he's more of a hindrance than a help which is harsh but just my view.

As for underage players, we won the U21 this year, we've 2 minors in the last ten years. The talent was there but it wasn't nurtured or brought into the senior panel on time and now a lot of them have gone away from the county set up all together.

We've seen lads retire in droves including the likes of young Kyle Coney who was looking like one of the best players in the country in his underage days.

The whole thing needs a shake up. There's been the same management team there now for 12 years and that's not fair on all the other talented managers in the country. It needs to be freshened up and I think if that happens it could reflect better on general public perception of Tyrone which is at an all time low.

If and when Mickey Harte moves on, would the next manager come from one of Harte's ex-players such as Canavan (which could be a bad move) or is there anyone from outside that group that would get a crack at it?

Jayop Registered User

Tom Joad said:
If and when Mickey Harte moves on, would the next manager come from one of Harte's ex-players such as Canavan (which could be a bad move) or is there anyone from outside that group that would get a crack at it?

I'll be honest, I'm living in Sligo now for 15 years so I'm totally out of touch with the club scene and who's doing a good job there.

Since I cant see there being much graw for an outside manager I'd say the management team that delivered the U21 All Ireland would be in the driving seat. That formula of bringing a successful underage manager straight into the senior panel worked well in the past with Mickey so it could work.

Fergal Logan with Canavan, Dooher and McMenamin involved would be odds on to be the next lads at the helm.

2 people have thanked this post
frostyjacks Banned

Apart from Donegal, who seem to have the Indian sign over us, I'd fancy our chances against any of the other sides out there. The qualifiers look a bit if a minefield again this year, and I have a feeling we'll get drawn against Armagh again. I'd back us to beat them but at the same time I'd rather avoid them. I drew a lot of confidence from the Donegal game, build in that and we could go a long way.

For the coaching ticket, any of Logan/Canavan/Dooher/McMenamin would be welcome. They all bring something different to the table. I'm sure folk up and down the country would love to see McMenamin prowling the sidelines.

Regarding the Meath comparison, I think the big difference is that we've laid down foundations on the back of our success, whereas Meath thought it would last forever and didn't really invest in the future.

Jayop Registered User

frostyjacks said:
Apart from Donegal, who seem to have the Indian sign over us, I'd fancy our chances against any of the other sides out there. The qualifiers look a bit if a minefield again this year, and I have a feeling we'll get drawn against Armagh again. I'd back us to beat them but at the same time I'd rather avoid them. I drew a lot of confidence from the Donegal game, build in that and we could go a long way.

For the coaching ticket, any of Logan/Canavan/Dooher/McMenamin would be welcome. They all bring something different to the table. I'm sure folk up and down the country would love to see McMenamin prowling the sidelines.

Regarding the Meath comparison, I think the big difference is that we've laid down foundations on the back of our success, whereas Meath thought it would last forever and didn't really invest in the future.

At least there one more Tyrone head here!

I reckon we'd beat Armagh handy enough tbh. The only counties I'd be worried about are Dublin, Mayo, Donegal, cork, Kerry and probably Monaghan. Not saying we'd beat everyone else, but we normally to out when we meet one of those sides.

Do you think mickey and co should go?

frostyjacks Banned

Jayop said:
At least there one more Tyrone head here!

I reckon we'd beat Armagh handy enough tbh. The only counties I'd be worried about are Dublin, Mayo, Donegal, cork, Kerry and probably Monaghan. Not saying we'd beat everyone else, but we normally to out when we meet one of those sides.

Do you think mickey and co should go?

I think he's earned the right to go at a time of his own choosing. We were 70 mins away from an All Ireland final the year before last with a lot of the same players as now, they should have that bit more experience under their belt since then.

Public perception of us is low, yes, but we were never flavour of the month like other counties. Even after Mickey goes we'll still be getting tarred with the same brush. Doesn't bother me though, it's better than having a reputation as a soft touch.

Jayop Registered User

frostyjacks said:
I think he's earned the right to go at a time of his own choosing. We were 70 mins away from an All Ireland final the year before last with a lot of the same players as now, they should have that bit more experience under their belt since then.

Public perception of us is low, yes, but we were never flavour of the month like other counties. Even after Mickey goes we'll still be getting tarred with the same brush. Doesn't bother me though, it's better than having a reputation as a soft touch.

Aye I don't think he'll be pushed out anyway!

Re the reputation, I think it's gone so low that it's now counter productive. Certain refs just seem to nail us game after game especially southern refs if we're playing teams from outside the 6 counties. It's never the big decisions, but rather death by a thousand 50/50's.

If we're going to have a reputation for being the dirtiest most physical team in the country then be that and not what we currently are. Plenty of talk but still get bullied by the bigger teams.

frostyjacks Banned

Jayop said:
Aye I don't think he'll be pushed out anyway!

Re the reputation, I think it's gone so low that it's now counter productive. Certain refs just seem to nail us game after game especially southern refs if we're playing teams from outside the 6 counties. It's never the big decisions, but rather death by a thousand 50/50's.

If we're going to have a reputation for being the dirtiest most physical team in the country then be that and not what we currently are. Plenty of talk but still get bullied by the bigger teams.

Yeah, with Hughes and Gormley retiring we lack that enforcer-type player that would break up the opposition's momentum anytime they got a run at us.

Tomas O'Se had a good anecdote in his article last summer about Hughes from the 08 final, how he laid down a marker after we got the goal.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/tomas-o-se-we-never-beat-tyrone-when-it-really-mattered-30278802.html

We need a bit of that attitude back in squad.

Jayop Registered User

frostyjacks said:
Yeah, with Hughes and Gormley retiring we lack that enforcer-type player that would break up the opposition's momentum anytime they got a run at us.

Tomas O'Se had a good anecdote in his article last summer about Hughes from the 08 final, how he laid down a marker after we got the goal.

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/tomas-o-se-we-never-beat-tyrone-when-it-really-mattered-30278802.html

We need a bit of that attitude back in squad.

I love reading O'Se's writing! Probably the best articles in the business from a former player. Manages to tell a wee story about how good they were every time without coming across like a cock ever.

Redsoxfan Registered User

What's the story with Coney? Mickey really doesn't have the scoring forwards to let him go.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!