Galvasean Registered User

This is pretty cool.

ocean currents boosting the amount of krill around the Antarctica are likely to be responsible for this growth.

Co-author zoologist Dr Erich Fitzgerald of Museum Victoria says whales in general have continued to get larger and could theoretically continue to grow assuming they could get the food they require.

http://news.discovery.com/animals/blue-whale-larger-than-ever-120131.html

3 people have thanked this post
Mickeroo Category Moderator

Interesting, I wonder will this improve their chances of survival or just make it harder!
Here's a photo that gives a bit of perspective on the size of these guys, although I think it might be a humpback in this so the blue would be even bigger!!

4 people have thanked this post
Birdnuts Registered User

Thats interesting - many species like Polar Bears, Elephants, Tigers etc. are shrinking due to human induced factors leading to lack of food, illegal poaching that singles out the bigger specimens etc.

Think that picture is a humpback. The blue whale is less 'fat' looking and longer (in fact it is twice the size of a humpback).

Galvasean said:
Think that picture is a humpback. The blue whale is less 'fat' looking and longer (in fact it is twice the size of a humpback).

Yea it looks like there's barnacles around its snout too which I would associate with humpbacks. Pretty staggering how large the Blues are when you think about it.

recedite Registered User

Galvasean said:
This is pretty cool.

Meh.. I've been getting bigger for ages; its easy.

paddy1977 Registered User

Hook head in Wexford, thats where to go for the humpbacks

paddy1977 said:
Hook head in Wexford, thats where to go for the humpbacks

There was one spotted off Achill Island last week too: http://www.iwdg.ie/article.asp?id=2527

Ya i seen that on the web site, very cool,you a member of the IWDG, i am myself, just bought a new scope last week!

Mickeroo said:
Pretty staggering how large the Blues are when you think about it.

I hear ya

1 person has thanked this post

paddy1977 said:
Ya i seen that on the web site, very cool,you a member of the IWDG, i am myself, just bought a new scope last week!

No actually, but i think i might join. Wouldn't mind doing one of their whale spotting courses.

Im going on the 1 in september on Cape, can't wait, have it booked already, the hostel is only 22euro a nite, can't go wrong for a great weekend, hopefully some whales around

Galvasean said:
I hear ya

Hopefully ill get to see 1 in my life time

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!