#1

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can suggest some good iPad apps for learning support / resource teaching at primary level?

I'm just after the basics.. Apps the children can use to help with tables, basic maths, phonics, letter formation etc.. the usual useful stuff for the res/ls gang!

Thanks for any tips!

byhookorbycrook Moderator
#2

Why not start with internet sites like sumdog.com, senteacher.com, starfall.com. Hundreds of good sites listed on educationposts.ie

#3

byhookorbycrook said:
Why not start with internet sites like sumdog.com, senteacher.com, starfall.com. Hundreds of good sites listed on educationposts.ie


Yeah Ive tried some of those but the apps are built specifically for the ipad so you get all sorts of cool and useful features in them.

byhookorbycrook Moderator
#4

Do cool features=better learning outsomes?
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0513/1224296826697.html
Ransboro are worth contacting, they are on twitter and v helpful. Do you take part in #edchatie on Monday nights?Lots of good ideas there too.

#5

byhookorbycrook said:
Do cool features=better learning outsomes?
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2011/0513/1224296826697.html
Ransboro are worth contacting, they are on twitter and v helpful. Do you take part in #edchatie on Monday nights?Lots of good ideas there too.


I haven't taken part in anything like that before but I'll check it out.
And rest assured I'm dedicated enough to be looking for school apps on my own iPad for the purpose of better learning outcomes for children who specifically need access to something like this to overcome their individual difficulties. If I was looking for cool for cool sake, I'd be playing angry birds right now.

For example, a child with moderate fine motor skill issues would benefit from using the iPad to trace letters instead of battling to hold a pencil correctly and make the letters.

The suspicion that using advanced IT equipment for children means that learning outcomes drop in priority has always made me curious

byhookorbycrook Moderator
#6

Not suspicious of using advanced IT at all, we have been using opensource software to create 3-d immersive education experiences for the last 2 years, but just because something in done through IT doesn't always make it better.


Has the OT suggested any activities to help the child?
http://www.otplan.com/ has some interesting ideas and sensationalkids.ie do lots of useful materials too.

#7

byhookorbycrook said:
but just because something in done through IT doesn't always make it better.


Why are you assuming I think that way though? As I mentioned, I have many reasons to use the technology to not only maintain the learning outcomes, but to enhance the 'conditions for learning' so to speak. You need not fear that Im using IT for my own personal benefit in this case.

The external professionals in the cases Im thinking of are fully supportive of using assistive technology but are also interested in what I come up with for these specific children.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!