Marlay Registered User

Hi, from reading other posts it seems that automatic filling valves are a bad idea on central heating. Just wondering how big a job it is to have one removed and replaced with a manual filling loop? No-one has mentioned the valve as a potential problem when servicing the boiler, but is it recommended to get rid of it? Its gas central heating with a Vokera boiler.

Thanks.

heinbloed Registered User

Vokera boilers usually come with a manual filling valve connected temporarily to a loop.
Why do you think there is an automatic filling device installed?

Marlay Registered User

heinbloed said:
Vokera boilers usually come with a manual filling valve connected temporarily to a loop.
Why do you think there is an automatic filling device installed?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been told by previous plumbers that its topped up from the main water tank in the attic. Where would the manual filling valve be if there is one?

At the bottom of the boiler where the pipes enter and leave. It says "Vokera" on it.

JohnnieK Registered User

From installing 100s of Vokera's there is no filling loop with the boiler. Your system is semi sealed and a filling loop would find it hard to fill your system, they need a bit of pressure behind them (mains water) to open the built in non-return valve. You could try putting in a manual lever valve above the auto fill valve so you can isolate.

A word of caution! I have never seen auto fill valves fitted to a semi sealed system. Are you sure it is fed from the tank? What pressure is on the Gauge?

gdavis Registered User

jeez vokera must be leaving me short that filler loop with their name on it on all those boilers i installed!!! Heinbloed,where do u get this info from?

Gdavis asks:

jeez vokera must be leaving me short that filler loop with their name on it on all those boilers i installed!!! Heinbloed,where do u get this info from?

I get this information from reading the installer manual and controlling the content of the delivered box.

The part code for the
"Filling loop flexible pipe" -in case you have order it - is 10023570
For the manual "Filling cock" it is 10023568

Outkast_IRE Registered User

I do remember the Combi boiler vokeras had a fill loop on the pipes to the boiler it was like a 3 way valve to provide mains water to either instanteous hot water/ off / heating fill .

I am 100% about these coming with the combi a few years ago , dont remember them ever coming with standard boilers

gary71 "A Gasman"

Outkast_IRE said:

I am 100% about these coming with the combi a few years ago , dont remember them ever coming with standard boilers

depends on the manufacturer.

Outkast_IRE Registered User

gary71 said:
depends on the manufacturer.

i said vokera

gary71 "A Gasman"

Outkast_IRE said:
i said vokera

my bad

JohnnieK Registered User

Marlay said:
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have been told by previous plumbers that its topped up from the main water tank in the attic. Where would the manual filling valve be if there is one?

In your hotpress more than likely.

JohnnieK Registered User

Outkast_IRE said:
I do remember the Combi boiler vokeras had a fill loop on the pipes to the boiler it was like a 3 way valve to provide mains water to either instanteous hot water/ off / heating fill .

They come with the combi's al right, not with the standard boiler which is probably what the OP has.

Marlay Registered User

JohnnieK said:
From installing 100s of Vokera's there is no filling loop with the boiler. Your system is semi sealed and a filling loop would find it hard to fill your system, they need a bit of pressure behind them (mains water) to open the built in non-return valve. You could try putting in a manual lever valve above the auto fill valve so you can isolate.

A word of caution! I have never seen auto fill valves fitted to a semi sealed system. Are you sure it is fed from the tank? What pressure is on the Gauge?

Pretty sure. Auto fill is probably the wrong term. In the hotpress the pipe for cold water into the cylinder has another pipe from it, just before where it enters the cylinder. This pipe has a valve with a red wheel and just below that what I'm assuming is a non-return valve.

The pressure is just under 1 bar when on, and around half that when off.

The pressure is just under 1 bar when on, and around half that when off.

This sounds ok. The pressure can increase in closed systems when the water gets hot and can't expand freely.

The " pipe for cold water into the cylinder " - is this the pipe for fresh water to be warmed up?

Is the " red wheel " kept closed?

Is there a expansion barrel installed? Maybe as part of the boiler, a red voluminous object?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!