datura Registered User
#1

Just in case anybody interested hadn't seen this:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/en/star/goToJobDetails.do?id=2335&featuredJob=true

They're looking for people with backgrounds in Human Resources, Law, Accountancy, Economics, Banking and Finance and Tax Policy.

2 people have thanked this post
Slydice Registered User
#2

datura said:
Human Resources, Law, Accountancy, Economics, Banking and Finance and Tax Policy.


might be worth putting that into the title of this thread cos ya pretty much need a degree in one of em

Nolanger Banned
#3

Apparently only 3,200 applied. We're in recession and new graduates have no interest in these pensionable jobs? Then they cry at the airports to mammy before heading off to Australia/Canada?

3 people have thanked this post
josephotoole91 Registered User
#4

A lot of the positions required masters degrees which probably cut down on the potential recruitment pool.

1 person has thanked this post
#5

Nolanger said:
Apparently only 3,200 applied.


How many jobs are there available?

I'm assuming they are all Dublin-based - will they have preference for people in the Dublin region (similar to the summer vacancies?).

#6

Any graduate could not apply for these positions. The job specs for these positions I read on public jobs were very targeted. Usually AO competitions are open to anyone with a degree but the Public Appointments Service were clearly looking for specific graduates in this case. For example, with the HR related jobs they wanted people with CIPD qualifications, other jobs required you to be a qualified solicitor, others you needed a masters in economics. Only a small number of our total graduates would meet the minimum standards for eligibility.

#7

Toasterspark said:
How many jobs are there available?

I'm assuming they are all Dublin-based - will they have preference for people in the Dublin region (similar to the summer vacancies?).


Probably not a whole lot of jobs available. They won't care where you're from or based.

InReality Registered User
#8

pity I missed this.
were there any jobs that just needed a degree ?

flowers11 Registered User
#9

Nolanger said:
Apparently only 3,200 applied. We're in recession and new graduates have no interest in these pensionable jobs? Then they cry at the airports to mammy before heading off to Australia/Canada?


The jobs available are very specified and most require masters degree and experience, solicitors will be given priority over legal graduates who apply for the legal roles for one example so I really dont think this is a fair comment to make. I'm one of the 3,200 people who DID apply and am not very optimistic of my chances and know that pretty soon I will probably have to wave my parents off tearfully at an airport.

2 people have thanked this post
#10

InReality said:
pity I missed this.
were there any jobs that just needed a degree ?


No, none.

johnny-fatality Registered User
#11

sickened I didn't hear about this in time.

Nolanger Banned
#12

I applied and did some kind of online questionnaire last week. Just because you have a Masters doesn't mean you'll pass their aptitude tests/interviews. The number of people with a 4th level qualification is very low in the Civil Service anyway. A bit late in the day for the Public Sector to be looking economics/finance/accounting graduates. Done ten years ago we might not be in this recession?

flowers11 Registered User
#13

Never said that having a masters entiltled you to a job or meant you'd pass the interview just meant it would give you an advantage if they specified it in the job requirements section of the job description.

#14

Nolanger said:
I applied and did some kind of online questionnaire last week. Just because you have a Masters doesn't mean you'll pass their aptitude tests/interviews. The number of people with a 4th level qualification is very low in the Civil Service anyway. A bit late in the day for the Public Sector to be looking economics/finance/accounting graduates. Done ten years ago we might not be in this recession?


True, it does not but the first round of tests is just to cut a whole bunch of people. Even if you pass it they'll probably cut you because you didn't meet the eligibility requirements to apply in the first place....that is if you don't possess what they're looking for....I don't know, maybe you do. I agree, in the past the public sector were not great at matching jobs with people's skills, backgrounds and strengths but surely it's better late than never.

1 person has thanked this post
#15

Nolanger said:
The number of people with a 4th level qualification is very low in the Civil Service anyway.


Do you know this from personal experience or is it an assumption based on the state of the country? As a recent recruit from a competition which required a level 7 qualification, I can tell you that most of the recruits had a level 9 qualification, and/or a level 10 (about 10 or 11 out of 15 taken on). It is my experience in my department that level 9/10 qualifications are widely held.
Based on our own competition, they will be looking for value for money from candidates. Best of luck with your applications.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!