naughtb4 Registered User

ED E said:
No, the phone.

And no, not what I mean. When I said "upgrade" I was referring to an "in place upgrade", where the update changes the system and leaves your apps and data there. In both windows and android this always causes problems or performance issues down the road so its always best to start clean.

What is the best way to "Start Clean" ideally without using Flashtool?

I have backed up using PC Companion, is it possible to factory reset and then restore using this?

Ludo Registered User

Installed SUS (Sony Update Software) rather than PC Companion and update now in progress.....DONE

2 people have thanked this post
be wide of me Registered User

Just updated no problem through Sony Update Centre. No need to factory reset. Impressed with ICS so far Got a white Xperia S on meteor!

Ludo Registered User

be wide of me said:
Just updated no problem through Sony Update Centre. No need to factory reset. Impressed with ICS so far Got a white Xperia S on meteor!

Impressed with what exactly? Only thing I really noticed so far is the font appears different in most apps (plume/dolphin, etc).
No obvious difference really so far....what am I missing?

ED E Registered User

ED E said:
No, the phone.

And no, not what I mean. When I said "upgrade" I was referring to an "in place upgrade", where the update changes the system and leaves your apps and data there. In both windows and android this always causes problems or performance issues down the road so its always best to start clean.

What is the best way to "Start Clean" ideally without using Flashtool?

I have backed up using PC Companion, is it possible to factory reset and then restore using this?

Factory reset does the same thing as flashtool's wipe command, but restoring a seus backup might null the whole process, depending on how in depth it is.

be wide of me Registered User

Ludo said:
Impressed with what exactly? Only thing I really noticed so far is the font appears different in most apps (plume/dolphin, etc).
No obvious difference really so far....what am I missing?

Find the swipe more responsive the phone seems to boot faster, all in all the phone runs better, no doubt improving battery life. I like the new texts and fonts, i think the software feels less outdated.

And get all technical if you want but i'm a smartphone newbie and am glad i upgraded that's just my opinion!!

naughtb4 Registered User

Seems to be some comments on ICS battery drain on XDA

Only thing i have really noticed is the notification bar is ALOT smaller and the music app seems to be interfering with some of the shortcuts buttons i had configured for double twist.

Wish Sony would release a stock music + podcast player

batistuta9 Registered User

ED E said:
Factory reset does the same thing as flashtool's wipe command, but restoring a seus backup might null the whole process, depending on how in depth it is.

so when updating you should backup everything >> factory reset >> then do the update, right?

also is this just for OS versions or firmware updates too

marcbrophy Registered User

I think I'm getting great battery life on ICS compared to GB!

More than 36 hours usage, and still 16% battery

1 person has thanked this post
Ludo Registered User

Is it just me or is the market (play or whatever it is called now) no longer able to update more than one app at a time? I have a fair few to update after moving to ICS and if I kick off more than one at a time, nothing downloads until I cancel them all and start them one at a time.

naughtb4 Registered User

Ludo said:
Is it just me or is the market (play or whatever it is called now) no longer able to update more than one app at a time? I have a fair few to update after moving to ICS and if I kick off more than one at a time, nothing downloads until I cancel them all and start them one at a time.

Must just be you , i updated 40 or so tonight

marcbrophy Registered User

naughtb4 said:
Must just be you , i updated 40 or so tonight

Yeah, I just updated 7 there, all automatic after I pressed the update button

Is it just me though, or do they update 1 at a time now, rather than all at once, like I remember before?

naughtb4 Registered User

Fifa 12 is free on the Play Now Store as an FYI, not sure of the price on market

Wait no only a trial version

marcbrophy said:
Yeah, I just updated 7 there, all automatic after I pressed the update button

Is it just me though, or do they update 1 at a time now, rather than all at once, like I remember before?

Same here, noticed tonight

ED E Registered User

batistuta9 said:
so when updating you should backup everything >> factory reset >> then do the update, right?

also is this just for OS versions or firmware updates too

Yep, backup then wipe and update or backup then update and wipe, either works.

Nah, minor updates dont bother with this, just major revisions

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!