slowburner Moderator
#32


What to do?

slowburner Moderator
#33

Another half dozen here
He's been a busy little bee.

#34

slowburner said:
Another half dozen here
He's been a busy little bee.


Does anyone know what they are ?

slowburner Moderator
#35

No info as yet.
Should be interesting though, if they're genuine.
It is hard to make out anything definite, but I would make a stab at the emperors Florianus (276 AD), Septimus (193 AD) and Claudius (54 AD).

A fairly wide ranging group of Roman coins to find on the banks of the Slaney.

1 person has thanked this post
#36

slowburner said:
No info as yet.
Should be interesting though, if they're genuine.
It is hard to make out anything definite, but I would make a stab at the emperors Florianus (276 AD), Septimus (193 AD) and Claudius (54 AD).

A fairly wide ranging group of Roman coins to find on the banks of the Slaney.


I think if they are genuine the National Museum would be interested in hearing about them. For legal reasons.

1 person has thanked this post
#37

slowburner said:
No info as yet.
Should be interesting though, if they're genuine.
It is hard to make out anything definite, but I would make a stab at the emperors Florianus (276 AD), Septimus (193 AD) and Claudius (54 AD).

A fairly wide ranging group of Roman coins to find on the banks of the Slaney.



What would they normally be worth ?

MarchDub said:
I think if they are genuine the National Museum would be interested


Were there many hoards found in Ireland and what is the law.

Also, are there forgeries out there ?

I didn't think roman coins were that rare ?

slowburner Moderator
#38

MarchDub said:
I think if they are genuine the National Museum would be interested in hearing about them. For legal reasons.

Contacted them yesterday morning.
They were most grateful - resources are not exactly overflowing at the National Museum in the present climate.
They simply do not have the staff to monitor all the possible exits for Irish artefacts, so extra eyes and ears would be welcome.
Big thanks to JD for spotting it and posting up.

If anyone else is aware of 'things' lined up to leave the country like this, they can give the museum a call at 01 6777444.

1 person has thanked this post
#39

slowburner said:
Contacted them yesterday morning.
They were most grateful - resources are not exactly overflowing at the National Museum in the present climate.
They simply do not have the staff to monitor all the possible exits for Irish artefacts, so extra eyes and ears would be welcome.
Big thanks to JD for spotting it and posting up.

If anyone else is aware of 'things' lined up to leave the country like this, they can give the museum a call at 01 6777444.


Do you mean me?
Good on you Slowburner. Great follow-up. Yes, Irish Law is quite specific on both the export and even the random 'finding' of ancient artifacts.

1 person has thanked this post
#40

MarchDub said:
Do you mean me?


Declares MarchDub a National Treasure


* bows head reverently*

2 people have thanked this post
#41

CDfm said:

Declares MarchDub a National Treasure


* bows head reverently*


Shhh...Well OK but please don't reveal which bog they found me in

1 person has thanked this post
slowburner Moderator
#42

MarchDub said:
Do you mean me?
Good on you Slowburner. Great follow-up. Yes, Irish Law is quite specific on both the export and even the random 'finding' of ancient artifacts.

JD = Judgement Day
He spotted them.

1 person has thanked this post
slowburner Moderator
#44

Fair play to you JD. Appreciate it.
One thing about this seller is worrying, how does a metal detector pick up flint?
God only knows what damage was done in the process of digging this up.

slowburner Moderator
#45

Just noticed that this particular seller is in Antrim so obviously outside the jurisdiction.
Don't let that stop you from spotting others - no doubt there will be plenty of others within the jurisdiction.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!