monkey9 Registered User

Soups123 said:
He's played a few weeks in Prem under oNeill, no where near deserving of a place in Euro squad

He's already done more than i've ever seen McGeady do!

7 people have thanked this post
dubmick Registered User

He should be given a chance in the friendlies, I've been impressed with his strength and direct approach. He is very raw though but that can be worked on.

applehunter Registered User

dubmick said:
He is very raw though but that can be worked on.

Can you explain this to me.

In what way is he very raw?

Coillte_Bhoy Registered User

monkey9 said:

And you watch a lot of russian football do you and were a regular follower of the spl?

5 people have thanked this post
Soups123 Registered User

Soups123 said:
He's played a few weeks in Prem under oNeill, no where near deserving of a place in Euro squad

No chance, seriously dont understand how someone with a knowledge of football can come to this conclusion. The lads had a good few weeks

1 person has thanked this post
Vokes Registered User

I don't think McClean will make Trap's Euro squad unfortunately.

If we assume the makeup is 7 defenders, 8 midfielders and 5 forwards - and no injuries, then that 8th midfielder spot will be taken by either Fahey or Coleman for their versatility I reckon.

Whelan, Andrews, McCarthy, Gibson, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey/Coleman.

Vokes said:
I don't think McClean will make Trap's Euro squad unfortunately.

If we assume the makeup is 7 defenders, 8 midfielders and 5 forwards - and no injuries, then that 8th midfielder spot will be taken by either Fahey or Coleman for their versatility I reckon.

Whelan, Andrews, McCarthy, Gibson, Duff, McGeady, Hunt, Fahey/Coleman.

I wouldn't have Gibson or McCarthy as sure things yet. Just as McClean has to prove himself for a bit longer so has Gibson. The very low transfer fee he commanded in a very high price market says something. McCarthy is not developing as well as people hoped either. My guess is that Fahey is already on the plane.

As for McClean he needs to keep it going for a few more months but I think he will and could be worth a punt for Polkraine.

Vokes Registered User

See I think that Trap considers Gibson and McCarthy as his backup CMs for Andrews and Whelan - I could well be wrong with this. Trap seems to select Gibson regardless of club playing time or form. And McCarthy has been progressing very well with Wigan these past few months. I really don't think McClean has a chance at all with one or both of Fahey / Coleman in his way, unless either suffer a serious injury.

tinofapples Registered User

Raskolnikov said:
Keogh probably won't make the squad, as we're almost certainly only going to take 4 wingers (Duff, McGeady, Hunt and Coleman). McClean is going to have to displace one of those guys if he's to make it to Poland.

No Pilkington ?

One for the future no doubt. Seems like a tidy little player

monkey9 Registered User

Coillte_Bhoy said:
And you watch a lot of russian football do you and were a regular follower of the spl?

As much and probably more than the Trap does. I've seen plenty of McClean in the LOI which is of a similar standard to the SPL, bar the top two!

3 people have thanked this post
applehunter Registered User

Soups123 said:
No chance, seriously dont understand how someone with a knowledge of football can come to this conclusion. The lads had a good few weeks

He's been playing senior football a couple of years now not just in the last few weeks.

Or does LOI not count.

Liam O Registered User

Does he pronounce his name as McClane or is that something the English have made up? They were calling him it on Premier Soccer Saturday last night anyway...

applehunter said:
He's been playing senior football a couple of years now not just in the last few weeks.

Or does LOI not count.

Why even bother at this stage?

Weirdly enough it appears to be one or two of the worst anti-LOI tits that are now singing the praises of a player that was playing here only 6 months ago.

BOHtox Registered User

Liam O said:
Does he pronounce his name as McClane or is that something the English have made up? They were calling him it on Premier Soccer Saturday last night anyway...

It's pronounced 'McLeen'. TBH, I wouldn't watch PSS if Paris Hilton and Rihanna were scissoring each other on it!

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!