GLaDOS Testing
#16

Lucan Bohs said:
After seeing how he's prospered at Sunderland I'm going to treasure the time I saw him play in the flesh before he became well known. Unsurprisingly scored a cracker that day, he calmly slotted the ball under Barry Murphy after excellent build play from the Derry midfield!

Yeah I remmeber that goal, fantastic move... bastard

Rhys Essien Registered User
#17

cson said:
Another who's doing pretty well is Anthony Pilkington for Norwich.

These are the guys we should be getting involved as they're the basis for our future.

Hopefully Enda Stevens can progress at Villa too, we could do with a left back. Speaking of Villa, Ciaran Clark scored yesterday... all is not too bad I guess for the talent coming through


As opposed to the Irish guy Wes Hoolahan who plays alongside him.

Can we at least call up the good IRISH players first.

cson Registered User
#18

Rhys Essien said:
As opposed to the Irish guy Wes Hoolahan who plays alongside him.

Can we at least call up the good IRISH players first.


Pilkington has played for the U-21s.

Thread is about James McClean a promising talent doing well ergo I slipped in Pilklington another promising talent doing well.

Wes has earned a call up but he's in the prime of his career at the moment hence he wasn't included.

Context, context, context.

BOHtox Registered User
#19

There must be some great players in the league from which they got that lad McClean

#20

Mikeyt086 said:


He has to be the most exciting young Irish player I have seen for 10-15 years, maybe ever.:


You could have seen him play (in the very country he has declared for) in the flesh for the price of 3 or 4 pints until last year.

cson Registered User
#21

BOHtox said:
There must be some great players in whatever league they got that lad McClean from


Probably getting more exposure now thanks to the success of Doyle and Long making the jump which is great for the clubs here [from a financial perspective] and the international team.

McLeish seems to have his eye on the League anyway in the last couple of years bringing Fahey and Stevens over.

Rhys Essien Registered User
#22

From Wiki on Pilkington


International career
He received a call-up to the Republic of Ireland under-21 squad in October 2008; not knowing he was eligible to play for Republic of Ireland national sides until a scout enquired of his availability. He qualifies through his paternal grandmother from Dublin but has not yet declared his national side, so may still play for the English national team despite playing for the Republic of Ireland under-21s. He played in the 3–0 away victory over Lithuania, where he impressed and even hit the woodwork.[11] Giovanni Trapattoni and Marco Tardelli were reported to have been keeping an eye on him ahead of Ireland's participation in UEFA Euro 2012.[12].

cson Registered User
#23

Rhys Essien said:
From Wiki on Pilkington

Do we want this sort of player.


A Bilbao basque-esque rhetoric is commendable but its no coincidence that our most successful periods internationally have culminated with the integration of ex-pats into the side - the likes of Houghton, Aldridge and Cascarino.

One of the most committed players ever to wear the green jersey wasn't even born here. And tbqh I'd take 11 players with Kevin Kilbane's mindset over a born and bred 'Irishman' like Stephen Ireland anyday.

5 people have thanked this post
citytillidie Registered User
#24

ScienceNerd said:
Plays great for Derry consistently - Who?

Scores 2 goals for Sunderland - Best player ever!



Dont forget the hype he was getting in the summer cup in the Avaya when he played for the Artricy League

Rhys Essien Registered User
#25

cson said:
A Bilbao basque-esque rhetoric is commendable but its no coincidence that our most successful periods internationally have culminated with the integration of ex-pats into the side - the likes of Houghton, Aldridge and Cascarino.

One of the most committed players ever to wear the green jersey wasn't even born here. And tbqh I'd take 11 players with Kevin Kilbane's mindset over a born and bred 'Irishman' like Stephen Ireland anyday.


Agreed.Point I am making is that Pilkington is 23,he wasnt aware that he was eligable to play for Ireland and is now effectively holding out for England which is fine because he is English.Same as Jamie O Hara.

Mars Bar I belong here. As do you.
#26

cson said:
Another who's doing pretty well is Anthony Pilkington for Norwich.

These are the guys we should be getting involved as they're the basis for our future.

Hopefully Enda Stevens can progress at Villa too, we could do with a left back. Speaking of Villa, Ciaran Clark scored yesterday... all is not too bad I guess for the talent coming through


Between Clark, Stevens and Craig Cunningham, we're not gonna be short of a few left backs in time.

GLaDOS Testing
#27

Ward is only 26 as well

cson Registered User
#28

Mars Bar said:
Between Clark, Stevens and Craig Cunningham, we're not gonna be short of a few left backs in time.


*Greg Cunningham

@ScienceNerd; Ward is the best we have at the moment but I don't think he's international quality. Scored a good goal though over Xmas.

1 person has thanked this post
Rhys Essien Registered User
#29

Mars Bar said:
Between Clark, Stevens and Craig Cunningham, we're not gonna be short of a few left backs in time.


Shur have'nt we Marc Wilson who plays regularly in the premiership who can play right back/left back/central midfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Wilson_(Irish_footballer)

1 person has thanked this post
GLaDOS Testing
#30

He's been a poor enough in some of his his competitive outings for Ireland so far admittedly, I still think he can come good though. Bit harsh rule him out after a few games.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!