OK, I cant seem to get my head around this..

"If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. Even if the television or other equipment is broken and currently unable to receive a signal, it is regarded as capable of being repaired so it can receive a signal and you must hold a licence for it."

I have a TV in which i do not watch LIVE,, I just use it to play the Xbox.. do not have Sky.. nor RTE TV3.. But yet am i still required to hold a licence ? in the UK, if you have a TV and not Watch Live TV then you are not required to hold one does this rule apply for here aswell ? so if a TV License guy called to my House,

I am not required to leave him in to the house nor give my name, and if asked do i hold a TV License i can just tell him i dont need a tv license, that im not required to give a reason why.. or do i need to buy a TV that can not be Tuned into getting RTE ?

mathepac Banned

Cork24 said:
... "If your household, business or institution possesses a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal, you are required by law to have a television licence. ...
Not again FFS. You have a telly, get a licence, because you need one for the telly, not for the channels you receive or watch or don't receive or don't watch or the use you choose to put your telly to. Simpelz

If you have a dog you need a licence whether it walks, barks or not.

If you prefer UK law, move there

mathepac said:
Not again FFS. You have a telly, get a licence, because you need one for the telly, not for the channels you receive or watch or don't receive or don't watch or the use you choose to put your telly to. Simpelz

If you have a dog you need a licence whether it walks, barks or not.

If you prefer UK law, move there

Dogs are considered property and are required to be registered under a license.

Do you own a Radio and do you have a License for that ?

I would like to knw is if i dont have RTE or no means for getting a Signal on my TV then their is really no need for a TV License which goes to RTE to pay for the likes of Pat Kenny

athtrasna Waaaaaaaaaay across!

Cork24 said:

Do you own a Radio and do you have a License for that ?

I would like to knw is if i dont have RTE or no means for getting a Signal on my TV then their is really no need for a TV License which goes to RTE to pay for the likes of Pat Kenny

The TV licence replaces the radio license which was compulsory for all those with radios in the state..can't remember the dates that it changed, know we were told about it in college.

The licence fee you pay by law if you own a television set does not just pay for RTE TV & radio, it also funds orchestras, choirs and independent broadcasters and producers. It is not an optional fee, it is the law.

mathepac Banned

mathepac said:
Not again FFS. You have a telly, get a licence, because you need one for the telly, not for the channels you receive or watch or don't receive or don't watch or the use you choose to put your telly to. Simpelz ...
The answer was there, can you get your little head around that.

If you'd ever bought a licence you'd know that you pay An Post on behalf of the Minister for Communications or whatever that portfolio is called now.

2 people have thanked this post

my tv can receive a signal but the house i live in does not have a signal to receive as their is no Sky box nor a Cable coming into the house as it was cut years ago.

newbie2 Registered User

you own a TV - you need a license

3 people have thanked this post
Syth Registered User

The law is clear. If you have a TV, you need a TV licence.

The law is clear about what you can and can't say to the TV licence man. You are required to state in writing whether you have or have not a TV. It is an offence to lie on that form. (I can't remember what part of what Act that is from now). You may not say "I don't require one" if you want, but if An Post sends you (via registered post or in person) the form under the act, you can either not send it back (and commit and offence) or must state whether you have or have not a TV, and it's an offence to lie.

If you want to find a way around it, get rid of your TV, get a big monitor, and try to play games on that.

Paulw Moderator

Cork24 said:
my tv can receive a signal

Therefore, you need a license, by law.

Just get one.

Sir Oxman Registered User

newbie2 said:
you own a TV - you need a license

If it doesn't have a tuner though?

Q. Do I require a television Licence even though I am unable to receive RTÉ and other Irish regulated broadcasts?
A. Yes. The position is that once you are in possession of a television set capable of receiving television broadcasts, you are required to have a television licence. Effectively, it is the set that is licensed, not the ability to receive television broadcasts.

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Broadcasting/Frequently+Asked+Questions/Television+Licence+FAQ.htm#6

If you could prove your TV is a monitor you can get away with it.

All you have to do is.

Take down all the aerials and satellites, outside your house, anything that can receive or send a signal.

Hook up your xbox to the monitor, laptop, pc whatever you use for media.

Watch your films, tv shows, etc through xbmc, rte player, bbc player, navi x, icefilms through your pc,xbox etc.

Have a receipt for your tv/monitor saying it's monitor.Very important that part

Tell the tv license man to go **** himself you have a monitor, not a tv.

To beat it, before you let the dog out

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-001-HS

If you pay the license once they will hound you forever.

Get a monitor my friend, like me.

2 people have thanked this post

Here is a 24" inch Philips Full HD monitor.

For 151 euro, 9 euro less than the License.

It has HDMI connection for your xbox, DVI, VGA for your pc, built in speakers.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4591511/art/philips/244e1sb-24-full-hd-tft-sc.html

Sell your TV on adverts for as much as you can and your laughing

Wont cost you a cent.

Paulw Moderator

Squall19 said:
If you could prove your TV is a monitor you can get away with it.

Have a receipt for your tv/monitor saying it's monitor.Very important that part

Tell the tv license man to go **** himself you have a monitor, not a tv.

Incorrect. All false claims. If you have a TV, you have a TV, and you must have a TV license.

Buy a TV license, or end up in court.

Paulw said:

Incorrect. All false claims. If you have a TV, you have a TV, and you must have a TV license.

Buy a TV license, or end up in court.

A monitor is not a TV.

Is a bicycle a motorbike?

Can I hook up a sky box or aerial to this.

No I can't

Not a TV

1 person has thanked this post
Paulw Moderator

Squall19 said:
A monitor is not a TV.

Can I hook up a sky box or aerial to this.

No I can't

Not a TV

Correct, that's not a TV, and doesn't require a TV license.

However, that's not what the OP has. The OP has a TV, that is capable of receiving a TV signal, therefore needs a TV license. Maybe you missed that part.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!