doc_17 Registered User
#31

I don't think Rafa would go to Sunderland.

Dont be at yourself Registered User
#32

I'd love to see Rafa get the job. He's massively divisive, but is the kind of manager capable of establishing a team like Sunderland at a higher level.

pavb2 Registered User
#33

I'd go with Hughes over MON been said before MON's financial dealings got out of control at Villa especially wages. MON might be OK with a firm director of football taking responsibility for transfers and wages but would MON stand for this?

With the sad passing of Gary Speed what chance Hughes back to Wales anyway

The best options I think would be Moyes (would need cash to build a team) or Paul lambert I'd take these over Rafa

Bruce should go to Blackburn might not be a bad move for them under present circumstances

Paully D Registered User
#34

Mark Hughes will be interviewed tomorrow.

#35

mike65 said:
If they have any ambition they will get Rafa - Quinn is gallivanting around the world drumming up funds/sponsorship/links, having a La Liga/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/Champions League winning manager would trump SLP/FA Trophy winning manager


Doubt if Rafa would go there tbh.

#36

mike65 said:
If they have any ambition they will get Rafa - Quinn is gallivanting around the world drumming up funds/sponsorship/links, having a La Liga/UEFA Cup/FA Cup/Champions League winning manager would trump SLP/FA Trophy winning manager


Doubt if Rafa would go there tbh.

They're not that far off liverpool stature.

legendary.xix Registered User
#37

I'd prefer O'Neill to Hughes. He turned Villa around and got three 6th places and to Wembley.
I wouldn't discount Rafa, he rushed into the Inter job but having been out for a while I think he'll do well in his next job.
Moyes would be my top choice but would he leave Everton, compensation then would be an issue. I can't see at the moment what else he can do with Everton. If he had the money Bruce has had to spend, he'd do a fantastic job and his team plays good football. Every time Sunderland have played them, Everton have always had that cutting edge, better passing and better all round game.

Liam O Registered User
#38

Hughes is the man I'd say. Bruce made some good signings but similar to AVB at Chelsea it just hasn't clicked. Ultimately a last minute goal consigned him to the sack, if Wigan don't win that game Bruce is still in a job. Shows the fickle nature of football management.

Can I ask all the Sunderland fans on here what their expectations are for Sunderland?

Paully D Registered User
#39

Liam O said:

Can I ask all the Sunderland fans on here what their expectations are for Sunderland?


Top half for me, so 10th.

That said, I do realise it's not always possible with a team like us and we will be up and down so mid-table with no relegation fears all season and no long, win-less run would also be acceptable to me.

I really don't think that's too much to ask.

1 person has thanked this post
Liam O Registered User
#40

Paully D said:
Top half for me, so 10th.

That said, I do realise it's not always possible with a team like us and we will be up and down so mid-table with no relegation fears all season and no long, win-less run would also be acceptable to me.

I really don't think that's too much to ask.

hmm yeah about what I thought, and I think you have the squad to do it and would have eventually clicked. It may come to fruition for the new manager, we'll see. Would you be happy/satisfied with a 15th place finish at this moment in time?

Paully D Registered User
#41

Liam O said:
hmm yeah about what I thought, and I think you have the squad to do it and would have eventually clicked. It may come to fruition for the new manager, we'll see. Would you be happy/satisfied with a 15th place finish at this moment in time?


Considering we're only 5 points off 8th place at the moment with a new manager to come in and have the January transfer window, I can't say I'd be happy with 15th. Our fixtures do get trickier over the next couple of months, but I wouldn't expect Norwich, Swansea and QPR to be where they are come the end of the season and I think we could finish ahead of them at least. You look at Stoke who are struggling in the PL with Europe and will get through the group stages, so I think we can finish ahead of them, and West Brom and Fulham aren't frightening me either.

Remember, we have the best goal difference outside the top 7, I know it's not a great indication of anything, but it shows we have the basis of something solid for the new manager to work with.

Would I be happy with say 12th? Yes, I would. But I think we can certainly finish better than 15th.

A finish of around 12th should be the aim this season for me.

Sir Gallagher Registered User
#42

DOC09UNAM said:
They're not that far off liverpool stature.


7 people have thanked this post
legendary.xix Registered User
#43

I'd expect top half. I know there isn't a whole lot between a certain number of clubs. I think it was a tall order though without a decent striker up front. It's important to score goals and take chances in the Premier League. With Bent and Gyan having left, no able replacements have come in. Questions have to be asked why Bent and Gyan wanted to leave as well?

markesmith Registered User
#44

Don't think Moyes would go for you either, I reckon he's holding out for something bigger than Everton.

Sunderland have a good squad, the right manager could do wonders. Holloway maybe? Big Sam?

Paully D Registered User
#45

The likes of Rafa and Moyes are unrealistic, I agree.

It's basically a straight shoot-out between Hughes and O'Neill now. Hughes is being interviewed tomorrow. Hopefully it all goes well and he's appointed quickly.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!