rodrob111 Registered User

Just got stopped by the guards and figured out I have an Expired drivers licence by 2 and half months. Guard told me not to drive on it. Lucky I was right beside my gaf. Do I need to redo my driving test for a renewed license?

Compton Registered User

no you dont need to re-do it

rodrob111 said:
Just got stopped by the guards and figured out I have an Expired drivers licence by 2 and half months. Guard told me not to drive on it. Lucky I was right beside my gaf. Do I need to redo my driving test for a renewed license?
Nope no need for a re-test, is the Guard bringing you to court?

Del2005 Registered User

rodrob111 said:

Is it an expired full licence or learners permit?

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. I know several people who where stopped with expired licences and allowed to continue, so not letting you drive on must be new.

cloneslad Registered User

Del2005 said:

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. I know several people who where stopped with expired licences and allowed to continue, so not letting you drive on must be new.

Isn't it a certain number of years to replace an expired licence, rather than you can drive on it for a certain number of years.

When it expires, renew it...or preferably a short time before it will expire.

1 person has thanked this post
Cuddlesworth Registered User

Del2005 said:

I would have said that it was a Gardai's use of discretion that allowed them to drive away rather then the law.

Del2005 said:
I............

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. ............

An expired licence = no licence

It is illegal to drive without a licence. You are NOT fine to drive on an expired licence, not even for 10 seconds, let alone 10 years. The Garda discretion is a different matter.

cloneslad said:
Isn't it a certain number of years to replace an expired licence, rather than you can drive on it for a certain number of years.

When it expires, renew it...or preferably a short time before it will expire.

Not been smart here, but once it's expired your without a licence. I say it varys from Garda to Garda, although you could be done for driving without a valid licence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0038.html#sec38

38.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place unless he holds a driving licence for the time being having effect and licensing him to drive the vehicle.

CiniO Registered User

msg11 said:
Not been smart here, but once it's expired your without a licence. I say it varys from Garda to Garda, although you could be done for driving without a valid licence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0038.html#sec38

And the most ridiculous thing is that you have only 3 months to renew it (from 3 months before expiry date to that date).

If you can't do it in that period, you will end up without valid licence.

F.E if you are gone for longer holidays, or maybe abroad for few months or a year.

rodrob111 Registered User

Guard was sound although he did say if I wasnt 100m from my gaf he couldn't let me drive off. Got my license renewed today in the tax office, 2 and a half months out of date. Forgot to ask how long I had to renew it. Really lucky bein stopped to be honest as wouldnt have realised the license was out of date otherwise.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!