Bodhisopha Registered User

Yes.

It was very good, don't get me wrong, but not so good that after 10 or 12 years i should still hear at least one unfunny cúnt a day referencing it

Good old Irish humour, eh.

1 person has thanked this post
psicic Registered User

Not overrated. When it came out, it certainly was one of the best comedies around - however, I do have to say that for me personally, it certainly has lost something over the past decade. That doesn't make it any less of a seminal piece of work.

It produced a lot of memorable one-liners, it was the first of a great batch of 'Irish' British comedies, and it helped the word 'feck' take off in Britain. It used some innovative staples of modern comedies - including meta jokes like 'Father Ben', film take offs like the episode with Father Dougal as a milkman - as well as being able to fall back on both slapstick (e.g. all the preist-on-preist violence from Father Jack) and surrealism (e.g taking in the roads on the island when it rains).

Certainly, I do think it will be looked at with scholarly eyes in years to come.

But, for me, time has dulled it. Part of the joy was not knowing what was coming next. Now, more than decade on, all we have are repeats. Another part of the joy was contemporary issues being raised or even serving as background to the jokes (e.g. the whole Eurovision episode was a lot more relevant and ponted when Ireland was winning the Eurovision every year). And pop-culture references (e.g. the Ballykissangel stuff) are often badly dated.

OKeeffer Registered User

Corkfeen said:
That's just not true. I know plenty of English people that love Father Ted. It also got 11th in Britain's Best Sitcom which would have been voted for by the public. So clearly they do they rank it rather highly.

Horse****.

MsMcr Registered User

OKeeffer said:
They don't.

I live here. A lot of people have barely heard of it.

It's on the same level as Rab C Nesbitt....the "Scottish fella". Father Ted, the "Irish priest".

It is overrated, and you've proved why by thinking everyone, who is not Irish, loves it.

They don't.

I have to disagree with you on this. I'm English and I absolutely love Father Ted. I think being raised a Catholic helps get some of the jokes but the quality of the comedy overall was superb. My family all love it including my staunchly Catholic Grandmother who would chuckle along when it was on.

There are so many classic bits that spring to mind: Father Noel and Riverdance, Pat Mustard (the priests saying mass alongside the milk float!) Bishop Len Brennan, my lovely horse and Fr Dougal's general cluelessness about what the Catholic faith involves.

I've lurked on boards for ages because I like reading an Irish perspective on things but reading this I had to register and share the love for Ted and especially the genius Dermot Morgan (RIP) from the other side of the Irish Sea.

4 people have thanked this post
Sir Oxman Registered User

fryup said:
i thought the last series was a wee bit forced/tired esp that episode with the over 65 football team > was stupid

and its repeated way too often now, nearly know all the lines off by heart

(but it sure beats mass)

"Wait a minute...they're not REAL hands!"

and these can feck off...;-)

applehunter, Bodhisopha, Chad ghostal, Dutchie, exaisle, Fighting Irish, mlumley, OKeeffer, Red Right Hand, Richard Dower, shockwave, Teclo

gambiaman said:
"Wait a minute...they're not REAL hands!"

and these can feck off...;-)

applehunter, Bodhisopha, Chad ghostal, Dutchie, exaisle, Fighting Irish, mlumley, OKeeffer, Red Right Hand, Richard Dower, shockwave, Teclo

Were the names revealed of the No vote?????

Btw...i voted NO just for a laugh, i really do like it.

Tomk1 Registered User

I
Donnn't
Believe
It.

Sir Oxman Registered User

Richard Dower said:
Were the names revealed of the No vote?????

Btw...i voted NO just for a laugh, i really do like it.

Yeah, just click on the amount of votes in the poll and you're there in all your unglory!

gambiaman said:
Yeah, just click on the amount of votes in the poll and you're there in all your unglory!

Just getting the ban hammer ready.

2 people have thanked this post
monkey9 Registered User

Does anyone have the photo of Fr Dick Byrne giving the Ted the middle finger with a smile on his face in the Song For Europe episode. That always cracks me up!!

ProudDUB Registered User

Down with this sort of thing !

While I do think it was brilliant for its time, I can see the pov that it may seem a bit dated now. We have been so battered by years of sex abuse scandals and bishops fathering kids, taking the piss out of the clergy is the norm now, and has been for a long time. But by jazus, when it first came out, it was ground breaking stuff.

Saw the Brendan Grace tribute (yes I know, I have no life) on the Late Late last month. Best thing he ever did was his stint on Fr Ted. Shame it got no mention & all that Bottler shyte did.

MRPRO03 Registered User

monkey9 said:
Does anyone have the photo of Fr Dick Byrne giving the Ted the middle finger with a smile on his face in the Song For Europe episode. That always cracks me up!!

8 people have thanked this post
don ramo Registered User

Richard Dower said:
Listen, i get all the love for it here and i personally think it's great....but, one must at least allow for an opposing view to be aired. So if you're of the persuasion that Fr. Ted is not the bees knees chime in a state your case.

2 people have thanked this post

deccurley said:
Father Ted was years ahead of it's time. RTE sure missed out on that but it goes to show how reluctant they were to support something satirical where the Catholic church was concerned as late as the mid-nineties.

Myth

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!