nyarlothothep Registered User
#1

Sometimes there are just moments which are memorable/genius in tv shows, irrespective of the quality of the episode.

For me in TNG: 1. Picard in Measure of a Man when he wins the case at the end, asking rhetorical questions and bringing his argument to a climax. 2. Picard as an old man telling his daughter? about enjoying the present moment in The Inner Light. 3. Picard and Q discussing human destiny at the end of AGT. 4. Picard breaking down in Family. 5. Picard quoting Shakespeare to Luxwana Troi in that godawful cheesy episode with Riker and the Ferengi. 6. Picard being asked "do you know what you're doing" and him saying "no" in Time Squared. 7. Picard saying to Q that he does not want to be a science officer in Tapestry. 8. Picard saying "you will all become one with the borg" in BoBW part 2. 9. Q with his speech about the universe not being for the timid at the end of Q Who. 10. Picard screaming NNNNOOOOOO! in First Contact. 12. Data pwning everyone onboard the Enterprise in the episode where he's re-united with Nonien Singh. 13. Data owning everyone in Redemption. 14. Data's dreams in that episode where he starts dreaming. 15. Picard owning the tar monster in Skin of Evil. 16. Worf killing Duras after he killed Kehylr, excellent shot angle where he wield the bathleth and you know Duras had it coming big time so its kinda go Worf.

3 people have thanked this post
Daith Registered User
#2

7 people have thanked this post
Daith Registered User
#3



1 person has thanked this post
Ellian Registered User
#4

In All Good Things where Picard says to Data "Mr. Data, you're a clever man..." Just a lovely moment...

#5

Data dealing with tasha yars death.i always thought that was very sad and well done.

1 person has thanked this post
JBnaglfar Registered User
#6

He may have been a bit prone to over-acting, but this monologue is one of my favourite trek moments.



And of course:

6 people have thanked this post
#7

JBnaglfar said:
He may have been a bit prone to over-acting


Avery Brooks can't overact...its just that some scenes can't support his brilliance and it looks like he's overacting. His screen presence was seriously powerful

5 people have thanked this post
nyarlothothep Registered User
#8

Ah I don't know this seems like overacting to me



These cases of overacting leave something to be desired


#9

nyarlothothep said:
Ah I don't know this seems like overacting to me



Overacting? Only because it's a Star Trek episode maybe. Maybe its just me but I think he just outshines everyone in these types of scenes & they appear out of context because its a sci-fi show.

These cases of overacting leave something to be desired


As above



I'll give you that one

2 people have thanked this post
nyarlothothep Registered User
#10

EnterNow said:
Overacting? Only because it's a Star Trek episode maybe. Maybe its just me but I think he just outshines everyone in these types of scenes & they appear out of context because its a sci-fi show.


As above


I'll give you that one


Well in the first vid, Avery Brooks just.ar.tic.u.lates.eve.ry.sy.lla.ble.like.it.was.its.own.sen.tence.while.hy.per.vent.a.la.ting.

In the other one Picard barks like a dog while breathing heavily. Even in context, they were overacting.

#11

nyarlothothep said:
Well in the first vid, Avery Brooks just.ar.tic.u.lates.eve.ry.sy.lla.ble.like.it.was.its.own.sen.tence.while.hy.per.vent.a.la.ting.

In the other one Picard barks like a dog while breathing heavily. Even in context, they were overacting.


I see what your saying, & I guess yes in context they are overacting. How do you tell someone to not act as good as you can though? Actors like to shine, Brooks & Stewart shine brighter than Star Trek can really allow them, thats all.

Owen Registered User
#12

+1 on Avery's syllable pronounciation. It's overdone, and very annoying once you pick up on it. Killed DS9 for me. This is my favourite scene - Worf, no sh*t, no messing about, just does his thing and is who he is.

8 people have thanked this post
#13

Getting back on topic, here's some vintage DS9 brilliance



I jest I jest.

I have always liked this scene though



This also, 7:10 onwards



This cracked me up when I first seen it

3 people have thanked this post
nyarlothothep Registered User
#14

EnterNow said:
I see what your saying, & I guess yes in context they are overacting. How do you tell someone to not act as good as you can though? Actors like to shine, Brooks & Stewart shine brighter than Star Trek can really allow them, thats all.


This is true, both actors are heavy weights

This is a case of legendary overacting, hilarious too

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!