the watchman Registered User

Hi All,

Can't find any reviews about Tooway kbo satellite broadband.

This one:
http://www.toowaysatellitebroadband.ie/solutions/

I think its fairly new.
Any comments at all would be most welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Plenty of posts in the Midband forum. Thread moved.

bealtine Registered User

the watchman said:
Hi All,

Can't find any reviews about Tooway kbo satellite broadband.

This one:
http://www.toowaysatellitebroadband.ie/solutions/

I think its fairly new.
Any comments at all would be most welcome.

Thanks for reading.

Satellite is not really broadband so don't be fooled by the glossy brochures:

http://irelandoffline.org/2011/09/satellite-is-not-really-broadband/

1 person has thanked this post
Plaxton Registered User

Hi all

I trawled the net before I signed up for KBO tooway, there was no information, so I took a chance, so far I am pleased, so these are my thoughts!

Two months ago I contacted KBO and signed up for the tooway 8 package. everything went perfect, the KBO guys were helpful.

negatives-
IP address - it currenlty recognises the IP address as somewhere in italy, which is annoying and prevents accessing parts of the RTE player. This will be rectified in Janurary I have been assured.

The latency is noticeable, but it is not a problem. The system is still much faster than the less than 1mb that eircom could give me. There is no doubt that a good cable broadband is preferrable, but in rural Ireland, this was my only option.

the upload / download limit has not been a problem so far.

Positives -
I now have much faster broadband, I can watch tv, or youtube videos without constant buffering, uploads and downloads are much faster.

I canceled the phone line. I now have VOIP from blueface and kept my geographic number. Overall the Blueface / Tooway service is cheaper than Eircom with poor broadband and overpriced line rental.

House Alarm - my big concern was the burgler alarm, I was afraid this would not work over VOIP - it works perfect!

I installed a Linksys Pap2 Voip gateway, and connected this to the redundant eircom box, and all the old hardware, works exactly as before.

So if you are struggling with less then 1mb from eircom, then KBO tooway is a viable alternative.

I hope this was helpful.

bealtine Registered User

Plaxton said:

the upload / download limit has not been a problem so far.

Wait until there is a Service Pack for windows or office...then you'll see the limits in action.
(if you use windows obviously)

bealtine said:
Wait until there is a Service Pack for windows or office...then you'll see the limits in action.
(if you use windows obviously)

I doubt he'll have enough bandwitdth left to reply

zg3409 Registered User

Your house alarm will no longer work when the mains fails. Thus if a burgular cuts the power before entering the monitoring company will not be notified.

There are 3G mobile phone alternatives for monitoring an alarm that do not use a phone line and can still work during a power cut.

The main issue with continuing to use the current system is that if you got a house contents insurance reduction for the alarm this may now be invalid, as the alarm no longer meets the minimum spec. so your house insurance may be invalid.

And yes, satellite broadband is very expensive and has lots of catches. Long contract, tiny download limit. If you can get other types of internet they probably will be better value.

kncy Registered User

Hi lads

Im thinking of getting satellite broadband as i can't get internet where i am,all i want it for is browsing and watching a small bit of youtube, I went onto KBO's website and the prices look good for the packages you are getting.

Has anyone being installed by KBO tooway and whats the internet like?

thykingdomcome Registered User

got kbo broadband installed in december, having no trouble so far.
speeds are very good compared with eircom. no more frustration waiting for websites to appear!
install was done in an hour and i was up and running immediately.
i think it probably advisable to go for the 52 euro per month package if you are going to be using you tube for any amount of time, just to be sure you don't go over your alllowance.
all in all, delighted with kbo broadband. i am in a poor area for coverage and it has really improved my online work, i do alot of work online and it has made my life alot easier.

thykingdomcome Registered User

i have it installed for the last couple of months, having no problems, excellent speeds on tooway8 package. found the company very good to deal with.
would recommend.

jay93 Registered User

Whats the speeds like with it?
Did you go over the download limit yet seems like fairly low allowances a month on sattelite!!

kncy Registered User

i got the tooway 8 package before Christmas, im getting 6mbs down and 2 mbps up,i have an allowance of 8 GB, so fair i am very happy with it, im getting excellent speeds and i haven't come close to exceeding my allowance, i use it mainly for browsing the web and watching youtube.

I hope this is helpful!!!

ida21 Registered User

Well I dont know how long you watch you tube in a MONTH but if 8GB is enough about 2 DVDs worth in a MONTH, we'd use that in a weekend or or one day! All for 50 euro pretty expensive for a couple of DVDs worth of you tube viewing! Try it and see.............

kncy Registered User

I don't use the internet alot so thats why i went for the tooway 8 plus we can't get internet where we are so its perfect, but if i was watching alot of dvd's on it i would have gone for a higher package

Thanks for the reply

tonymontana82 Registered User

thykingdomcome said:
i have it installed for the last couple of months, having no problems, excellent speeds on tooway8 package. found the company very good to deal with.
would recommend.

i found the quality of workmanship fairly poor to be honest, left mess after them from drilling & could barely speak basic english to me when i asked questions about the system. two polish guys i think.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!