siblers Registered User
#316

AntiRip said:
Just wondering, for the people that failed the CAs overall do they have to repeat the year again as you can't repeat CAs?

I got 79% but I have no idea how, was expecting to get somewhere between 50 and 60.

JFlah Registered User
#317

Opinicus said:
Project submitted. For better or worse. I don't know, it went majorly arseways on me. If I scrape a pass for it I'll be happy.

I,m sure it's much better than you think yourself very best of luck with it.

JFlah Registered User
#318

Sintel said:
That is how it works I believe, I remember last year for Digital Imaging we were told that if you had to repeat that it was one day exam. Your given a brief something on the day and you had to come up with something. Don't think I would enjoy that too much.
I think with most subjects that dont have a FE, that you have a chance to repeat it during the summer, tbh I think that is something you would want to avoid at all costs as you wont have the same level of support from the lecturers as you would during the term.


Yeah ,having a poor level of support would be terrible in some cases!!!

1 person has thanked this post
JFlah Registered User
#319

siblers said:
I got 79% but I have no idea how, was expecting to get somewhere between 50 and 60.


Well done , in ok shape overall so ?

siblers Registered User
#320

JFlah said:
Well done , in ok shape overall so ?


Sound!38.5% out of 50 going into the final exam, surprised by Java this semester, figured it was gonna be the one i'd struggle with most but its been grand overall.

There isn't much excuse really to be failing the likes of Digital Imaging or Vis Comm, even if you aren't good with photoshop etc, there were loads and loads of marks to be picked up from research books alone, people struggling with java etc I can empathise with them alright.

JFlah Registered User
#321

siblers said:
Sound!38.5% out of 50 going into the final exam, surprised by Java this semester, figured it was gonna be the one i'd struggle with most but its been grand overall.

There isn't much excuse really to be failing the likes of Digital Imaging or Vis Comm, even if you aren't good with photoshop etc, there were loads and loads of marks to be picked up from research books alone, people struggling with java etc I can empathise with them alright.

Agree 100% with you... have 47.25% for Java happy days Web Design proving so frustrating that I,m not achieving much despite loads of time spent on it!

siblers Registered User
#322

JFlah said:
Agree 100% with you... have 47.25% for Java happy days Web Design proving so frustrating that I,m not achieving much despite loads of time spent on it!


Web Design is awfully slow alright, although I've more or less done the products page which was a right pain but at least i've all my divs etc done which makes the other pages a bit easier.

Have you used any stock photo websites to get images? There was one great site I had used but Im just after realising that the t&c when you download an image off there state you have to reference the website. Tryin to find a different site now but most of them are pretty awful.

JFlah Registered User
#323

siblers said:
Web Design is awfully slow alright, although I've more or less done the products page which was a right pain but at least i've all my divs etc done which makes the other pages a bit easier.

Have you used any stock photo websites to get images? There was one great site I had used but Im just after realising that the t&c when you download an image off there state you have to reference the website. Tryin to find a different site now but most of them are pretty awful.


No I tried to stick with images we were given and 2 more images from the exisiting site simply to avoid the referencing and copyright issues but it looks fairly ****E tbh!! still am only aiming for an ok mark really.
Once you have the divs etc sorted I think most of the hard work is done.... I hope anyway!!!
One thing about it is I definitely understand aspects of designing a site much more clearly now, if only i was good enough to make it pay )

#324

JFlah said:

One thing about it is I definitely understand aspects of designing a site much more clearly now, if only i was good enough to make it pay )


I'm not so sure. I saw a site that was made for a cousin of mine by a professional crowd and I was shocked. It was all done on WordPress which is simple to do and he was charged e800 for the privilege. I was asked to go into WordPress to change a few things for him. I would have definitely done it for half the price! Although if you had to do it from scratch, all in code you would definitely earn your money. Don't think it would pay actually judging from the amount of time it's taking me to do four pages

siblers Registered User
#325

AntiRip said:
I'm not so sure. I saw a site that was made for a cousin of mine by a professional crowd and I was shocked. It was all done on WordPress which is simple to do and he was charged e800 for the privilege. I was asked to go into WordPress to change a few things for him. I would have definitely done it for half the price! Although if you had to do it from scratch, all in code you would definitely earn your money. Don't think it would pay actually judging from the amount of time it's taking me to do four pages


Yeah, when looking around online to get some ideas, the quality of design has been pretty poor. I've learn an awful lot about CSS doing this site and had we been allowed build our own site, I'd have probably come up with something a bit more creative. This project is awfully uninspiring.

JFlah Registered User
#326

siblers said:
Yeah, when looking around online to get some ideas, the quality of design has been pretty poor. I've learn an awful lot about CSS doing this site and had we been allowed build our own site, I'd have probably come up with something a bit more creative. This project is awfully uninspiring.

Yeah definitely the subject matter is not helping the cause YAWN.... on a more serious note is Web Design realistically not doomed when tools like WordPress are becoming more and more commonplace and are so easy to use, surely except for large organisations companies etc will construct their own web presence on WordPress?

siblers Registered User
#327

JFlah said:
Yeah definitely the subject matter is not helping the cause YAWN.... on a more serious note is Web Design realistically not doomed when tools like WordPress are becoming more and more commonplace and are so easy to use, surely except for large organisations companies etc will construct their own web presence on WordPress?

Yeah, hard to imagine there being much demand for someone who is only proficient in CSS, Javascripting and Flash are probably the 2 most in demand and I imagine a lot harder than CSS.

JFlah Registered User
#328

siblers said:
Yeah, hard to imagine there being much demand for someone who is only proficient in CSS, Javascripting and Flash are probably the 2 most in demand and I imagine a lot harder than CSS.

Apparently Javascript is 'OK' I,m thinking of trying to learn PHP over the summer , can,t hurt I'm thinking!

Encrypted Pigeon Registered User
#329

If you get a chance, look at SQL as well, trust me, you will be doing yourself a favour.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

JFlah Registered User
#330

If you get a chance, look at SQL as well, trust me, you will be doing yourself a favour.

http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice I,ll try and give it a bit of time over the hols

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!