selfbuildache Registered User
#1

Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I did look around.

Just wondering if buying a refill kit would be cheaper than a 'new' cartridge and do people have any recommendations about where to go for either??

I've tried inkjet and inklub for cartridges but they still seem expensive...

yoyo Moderator
#2

selfbuildache said:
Apologies if this is in the wrong place. I did look around.

Just wondering if buying a refill kit would be cheaper than a 'new' cartridge and do people have any recommendations about where to go for either??

I've tried inkjet and inklub for cartridges but they still seem expensive...

What printer? Only newer Brother machines can be refilled for little hasstle afaik. Get a Epson or Canon and get remanufactured cartridges, best option really. Another site to try is www.justmedia.ie, I find them the cheapest, also look at Ebay, although disadvantage here is most sellers are English so long delivery times!

Nick

1 person has thanked this post
selfbuildache Registered User
#3

Thanks. Have a HP. Just a cheap one so I fear I'm paying for it now. I used to have a Dell one though and could get them refilled locally so I'm going to try them if nothing else turn up.
Have tried your website and can't figure out how to find my cartridge number

Cerbera Registered User
#4

I've got a mix of Canon and HP printers and I get the inks / toners refilled off my local Recharge Cartridges place and I have had absolutely no problems with any of them ever.

yoyo Moderator
#5

selfbuildache said:
Thanks. Have a HP. Just a cheap one so I fear I'm paying for it now. I used to have a Dell one though and could get them refilled locally so I'm going to try them if nothing else turn up.
Have tried your website and can't figure out how to find my cartridge number


Just Media changed the site recently and I've found you can't search for cartidge numbers easily any more, best off clicking HP>and looking for your model in the list of items

Nick

allthedoyles Registered User
#6

We used to buy refills for our HP 2550 , but they sometimes leaked .

It does work out cheaper though .

We also used to buy a printer chip like this one below , and it meant that we used to get more value out of a cartridge .
If you have a printer that counts the number of pages you print , it may tell you that the cartridge is empty , when it is not .:

#7

refill kits are for sale in tesco, 25 euro for black and colour, gets 20 fills roughly, fairly easy to do just watch a video on youtube first

yoyo Moderator
#8

craftypaddy said:
refill kits are for sale in tesco, 25 euro for black and colour, gets 20 fills roughly, fairly easy to do just watch a video on youtube first


Many printers use Chips these days which stop you from bieng able to print after the countdown regardless of there being ink or not, without a chip resetter and even with some ink cartidges (Epsons especially) are manufactured in such a way that if refilled they just will not work.

Nick

selfbuildache Registered User
#9

Thanks for the replies! These companies are really devious!
Allthedoyles - where would I get one of these chips and is it the same as the one YoYo is talking about??
CraftyPaddy - it was those refill kits I was talking about buying - you can get them on Ebay for less so if you think they work I might go that route - thanks.
Cheers!

yoyo Moderator
#10

selfbuildache said:
Thanks for the replies! These companies are really devious!
Allthedoyles - where would I get one of these chips and is it the same as the one YoYo is talking about??
CraftyPaddy - it was those refill kits I was talking about buying - you can get them on Ebay for less so if you think they work I might go that route - thanks.
Cheers!


I think he's linked to a chip resetter, could be wrong though! Even if you can reset the chip some inks just will not refill, Canon and Epson especially are notorious for this, Check this out to see how they do it

Nick

Overheal Covfefe Connoisseur
#11

selfbuildache said:
Thanks for the replies! These companies are really devious!

Ultimately they aren't devious but rather protecting their profits and investments. Granted they could provide a better, mainstream refilling method, but at the end of the day it was refillers that encouraged printer companies to start microchipping their cartridges.

selfbuildache Registered User
#12

Overheal said:
Ultimately they aren't devious but rather protecting their profits and investments. Granted they could provide a better, mainstream refilling method, but at the end of the day it was refillers that encouraged printer companies to start microchipping their cartridges.


I understand your point and that they have to make profits but I'm annoyed at not knowing this before I bought this latest printer. I think this printer (HP) is cutting me off at a set amount of pages, whereas my previous printer would go 'til the ink ran out basically. Obviously, if I knew beforehand I'd be looking for a non-chipped (if this is even possible now.) printer

Mattryan13 Registered User
#13

Don't bother, messy and you don't get a full refill. Huntoffice.ie or www.officespot.ie are cheap and fast delivery. I do our office ordering and this has worked out best for us.

hanloj1 Registered User
#14

I used to get mine refilled for hp photosmart c4380. They were costing me 24e to refill xl one. Got two cartridges for 26e including delivery from 7dayshop.com . good times.

1 person has thanked this post
silvine Registered User
#15

Get a laser printer. Works out cheaper in the long run.

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!