dozydelilah Registered User

Hi can anyone recommend the best satnav for Ireland? One that will take our Irish addresses ?? I find any of them are grand for town addresses with numbered houses but are not great for rural addresses??

Thanks

mad muffin Registered User

That's the problem with Ireland. No post codes out side of Dublin, many small towns with the same names and a lot of places don't even have house numbers.

Garmin with Loc8Code is great. I'm sure others will run it too.

Loc8Code is generated by the destination by going to the location address via their website and generating a Loc8Code [basically lat/long] and it is then stored as that person's address ~ if the system goes national as a post code this means a person's address is accurate to about the width of a country laneway and even more accurate in cities.

The Sat Navs that I've tried are notorious for not knowing localities in the country ~ yet will display their names as one drives through or arrives at them.

mad muffin Registered User

gbee said:
Garmin with Loc8Code is great. I'm sure others will run it too.

Loc8Code is generated by the destination by going to the location address via their website and generating a Loc8Code [basically lat/long] and it is then stored as that person's address ~ if the system goes national as a post code this means a person's address is accurate to about the width of a country laneway and even more accurate in cities.

The Sat Navs that I've tried are notorious for not knowing localities in the country ~ yet will display their names as one drives through or arrives at them.

Garmin isn't in the app store though.

jdee99 Registered User

Garmin Base Camp is though h__p://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/garmin-basecamp/id411052274?mt=12 use it to route plan on a Mac

Rgds

JD

1 person has thanked this post
biko Arbiter

Navfree is fairly good but not sure how it'll hold up against rural places.
Worth a shot anyway since it's free.

kjl Registered User

I use TomTom W.Europe, never lets me down, has the ability to put in address plus google search.

biko Arbiter

There's another free satnav now - Skobbler.
I just downloaded it today, looks slick but haven't tried it out yet.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!