Floppybits Registered User

I am really beginning to believe that only morons are working in councils and government in this country. Anyways the story here is that the council plan to build an 8 foot mound of muck all along the clontarf promenade. This will mean that the views from there will now be blocked of by the mound. I mean what sort of idiot thinks of this along one of the most used parts of the city. Its nuts.

clontarf residents object to insane flood defence plans

There have been four major floods in recent years in the area and some insurance companies have threatened to withdraw flood cover for about 3,000 homes and businesses if permanent defence plans are not put in place.

I agree it's unsightly

But something has to be done, what other ways can be done to stop flooding?
Genuinely asking, I don't know about flood defenses

Huge capacity drainage along the promenade maybe?

Possibly the council are going for the easiest and cheapest option

I'm still waiting for the Sutton to Sandymount cycle lane they've been talking about for over five years now

1 person has thanked this post
sdanseo Registered User

Add two feet to the existing sea wall (it's very low, full of holes and designed with railings integrated...not ideal for keeping the water out, really ), or rebuild and strengthen it to that height if needs be. If that's then too high above the promenade, use earthworks to raise the level of the promenade a little.

bamboozle Registered User

mikemac said:
I agree it's unsightly

But something has to be done, what other ways can be done to stop flooding?
Genuinely asking, I don't know about flood defenses

Huge capacity drainage along the promenade maybe?

Possibly the council are going for the easiest and cheapest option

I'm still waiting for the Sutton to Sandymount cycle lane they've been talking about for over five years now

i'm a resident along this stretch and agree something has to be done but to construct 9 foot high walls permantly blocking the sea view for a 3km stretch is not the answer,
Clontarf's seafront is a local amenity used every days by walkers, joggers, cyclists etc and it cannot be treated like this and just blocked from view forever.

it really has to be the most idiotic plan i've ever heard and just smacks of narrow minded, short sighted & idiotic planning.

Flooding is a threat all over the world, i'm sure the answer elsewhere is not to build 9 foot walls.

Degsy Banned

The powers that be are quite happy to let the lagoon on the dollymount side silt up completley because they never thought to allow the sea to flow under the causeway.

Since i was a kid i'd estimate Bull Island has grown by over 200 metres while the water gets shallower year on year.

Bambi Registered User

"We'll lose our lovely view" is a pretty flimsy objection tbh

6 people have thanked this post
dusty207 Registered User

Mebbe if they build 9 foot high glass walls

2 people have thanked this post
bamboozle Registered User

Bambi said:

why?

would you rather live across the road from the sea with views over dublin bay or across the road from a 9 foot wall when there have to be other options considered as are done in other areas throughout the world.

Bambi Registered User

I'd rather not have a lovely view of the sea while sitting in the living room

7 people have thanked this post
delta_bravo Registered User

bamboozle said:
why?

would you rather live across the road from the sea with views over dublin bay or across the road from a 9 foot wall when there have to be other options considered as are done in other areas throughout the world.

Well this place is only about 2 metres above sea level. It floods regularly. If the people refuse this wall will they refuse aid from the council when it floods again?

15 people have thanked this post
Hermy Registered User

This wall or mound or whatever is going to be eight foot high.
Can anyone tell me what the top of the mound will be eight feet above?
Will it be the footpath on the promenade or high tide or something else?

RMD Registered User

Bambi said:

That view also equals a decent chunk of a house price. Many people will buy a house along Clontarf road because they'll have a view over the bay. Taking into account there's 300 hundred houses along the road, it adds up to a couple of million in falling prices. Not to mention as said it's a popular amenity used by cyclists, walkers, sports teams / athletic clubs etc. Stick a 9 foot mound in the middle of it and it ruins it for a lot of people.

In the 10+ years I've been living in Clontarf I've only seen 2 bad spots of flooding both well controlled by sand bags. I've never seen flooding conditions that would require a 9 foot wall.

Bambi Registered User

oh I'm sure property values are the real issue here but there'll be a lot of coyness from the good people of clontarf on that front, joe dufy won't mention it either I bet

RMD Registered User

Bambi said:
oh I'm sure property values are the real issue here but there'll be a lot of coyness from the good people of clontarf on that front, joe dufy won't mention it either I bet

If you don't live there why does it bother you? It's not the real issue but it's one issue, would you be happy if I told you an unnecessary project that would knock 20-30k off the price of your house was going to happen would you be happy? No you clearly wouldn't. Or perhaps a nice view across from your house that also happens to be a useful amenity to many people daily will be ruined, would you be happy? No you wouldn't.

What are the great benefits of this project since you seem entirely against the opponents of it?

There was plenty of plugging going on with Joe Duffy

Hi Joe, I run x business, I'm a concerned resident, did I mention I run x business

Sly. But Joe Duffy seems to have a thing with Clontarf, dedicating whole shows when there was an issue with a headshop in Clontarf. Does he live there?

Joe Duffy has forgotten he works for RTÉ national radio, seems to think he works for Dublin local radio

Anyway, we'll see how this goes

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!