Jellybaby1 Registered User

'Fraid I need more help please. I have 25 pages typed in MS Word (2002/dinosaur version) and want to number the pages from 1-22 but when I insert page numbers they all get numbered. I tried deleting the last few but then they all disappeared. Any slick and easy way to do this please?

Jellybaby1 said:
'Fraid I need more help please. I have 25 pages typed in MS Word (2002/dinosaur version) and want to number the pages from 1-22 but when I insert page numbers they all get numbered. I tried deleting the last few but then they all disappeared. Any slick and easy way to do this please?

You could change the font, the font size and play around with the page margins (you should get away with 5mm margin left and right. Go no less 10mm top and botton then print off one page and see if any of the text is missing.

Thanks Galen, I understand what you say. I had to have this finished a couple of days ago so I just took the unnumbered pages off and saved them as a separate file and then numbered all the others. A long and winding road but it does the job. Ta very much.

looksee Moderator

I hate Word! Its a ridiculously opinionated program Trying to get a bit of text and a couple of photographs onto a page is like rocket science.

OldGoat Registered User

I miss WordPetfect.

Ramette Registered User

What about Word Assistant? I used to give training courses in that, it was simple and uncomplicated *reminises*

I haven't heard of either Word Perfect or Word Assistant and I've always used Word. Are they not around any more?

OldGoat Registered User

Word perfect is undergoing a rebirth. Corel bought it over so I expect to see Adore Word Perfect making inroads into Microsoft near monopoly on wordprocessors.

1 person has thanked this post
yoyo Moderator

Jellybaby1 said:

Word will automatically number pages sequentially so if you remove a page Word will adjust to this. What you need to look at it Section Breaks

Nick

yoyo said:
Word will automatically number pages sequentially so if you remove a page Word will adjust to this. What you need to look at it Section Breaks

Nick

Try Libreoffice suite - it's free but a big download at 200mb, it will take 15 minutes on a 2.5meg connection to download http://www.libreoffice.org/download/?type=win-x86&lang=en-GB&version=3.5.2

I have another computer problem. Remember, I don't know all the jargon and I don't know what goes on inside the mah-cheen either so words of one syllable would be helpful! When I press the button on the computer tower to start it up, the button flashes on and off and the computer won't come on. At this stage I can only switch it off by holding the button in for about 4 seconds. It takes several tries to get the computer started. When it is on, it sounds like a Massey Ferguson starting up. The computer is in a spare bedroom. We can hear it's 'engine' when we are downstairs in the living room. Is it about to die on me?

If you're forced to do a hard shutdown (4 seconds) then technical help, it sounds like your hard drive is dying at the very least - get help NOW.

Rubecula Moderator

Ditto what Galen said, get it looked at now before it does go 'poof' on you. I didn't and I lost a lot of stuff that i can't replace.

Is it a Dell?

Their systems/hardrives do that real loud knocking when they start to fail. I've never heard it on any other machine like that.

Theirs a really simple test to confirm its the harddrive, on my phone now so will put it up later....if yoyo doesnt beat me to it.:-)

I've 3 words for everyone - backup backup backup. Quite simply get yourselves a nice big external hard drive (Argos 1TB for 128 Euro) for all your documents, music, pictures and videos. It's well worth the money in the long run because hard drives are built like a record player - they die hard and fast.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!