jack presley Moderator

So what was it like yesterday then? I was off so didn't have to go through but will be heading home that way later. How bad were the delays?

Heroditas Registered User

jack presley said:
So what was it like yesterday then? I was off so didn't have to go through but will be heading home that way later. How bad were the delays?

I go home via the Ashtown and Knockmaroon entrances. A slight delay in turning right at the Ashtown entrance because of all the traffic coming through the park from the Cabra gate direction but, to be honest, it was grand.

This morning I entered the park through the Chapelizod gate and it was a mess. All the traffic going through the park was refusing to allow people onto the "roundabout" so there was a big long queue of cars trying to actually get in through the Chapelizod gate.

I had intended going out through the Cabra gate and went up by the Papal Cross and across Chesterfield Avenue. I had forgotten that you can't then swing a right and sneak out the Cabra gate so instead went around to the Castleknock gate and out through there.

I'd say it added about 5mins to my journey time this morning but that was at 8am. I shudder to think what it will be like later than that, particularly if it's a wet morning.

I think they would have been far better to do Chesterfield Avenue in two sections. It would have minimised the disruption.

bk Moderator

trellheim said:

Then the challenge is to find a method to charge the through driver and not the stop-and-parker. Entry and Exit time-based charging is one method (e.g stay more than 1 hour and it's free ) but I can't think of an easy way of doing it.

Video tolling like the M50?

Enter and leave the park in under an hour and you are tolled, otherwise free.

I was listening to Dublin City 103.2 FM and its sounds IMO, like the bulk of the traffic is avoiding the park which is why the park itself is so quiet. I think people are taking big circular routes to avoid the park, as 103.2 FM were remarking on unusual heavy traffic in other areas. They didn't seem to notice the connection.

I travel usually off peak. For me its been great, but the ramps will take their toll on the car eventually. Usually I avoid them. They are pretty severe near the Zoo. Traffic for me around town has been much heavier then usual but as I get near the Park it melts away. Less cyclists than I expected, but then its been very windy lately.

homerjay2005 Registered User

3 million is a serious amount of euro, how the hell does resurfacing cost that much?

AFAIK it not simply resurfacing. They are going to fix the substructure.

It wasn't built to carry the massive amount of traffic it does.

I reckon it's added on about 12 minutes to the journey time in the morning.
I used to enter the park through the Knockmaroon gate and nip out the Ashtown gate but now I have to drive all the way around the park and exit via the Castleknock gate and double back past the Racecourse apartments.
Very frustrating. I don't know why they didn't let traffic drive from Knockmaroon past the Ordnance Survey buildings and out the Castleknock gate.

In other news, it seems that some people just won't obey traffic signs. I watched a taxi sit and wait by the turn out of the park to the Ashtown gate unti t he way was totally clear and then, completely ignoring the "do not enter" signs, drive out that gate.

Meanwhile there was a long string of cars backed up behind him. Inconsiderate git

I've meet a good few just ignoring the one way aright.

If anything its improved my commuting journey time, as so many are avoiding it. Buy about 10~15 mins. Except on a Saturday, its adds about the same 10~15 minutes on a sat, as I go Knockmaroon and out Cabra gate. The reverse journey isn't effected though.

The traffic was backed up on the Navan Rd, almost to the old cabra (I assume from the N3) on saturday. But I can avoid it using the park.

Man the ramps outside Garda HQ are just gigantic. I'm kinda avoiding that myself as much as I can now.

nells123 Registered User

They've found the remains of an old fort on the main road of the PP. This is going to delay the completion date of the works.

thomasj Registered User

nells123 said:
They've found the remains of an old fort on the main road of the PP. This is going to delay the completion date of the works.

I heard they found bones as well.

Well I say one thing, you won't be bothered by the noise of the works, most mornings I've past it they are working on small section at a time. Say 5% with nothing happening on the rest of it.

nells123 said:

This would explain why the work hasn't been completed yet.
I was hoping they would have finished the second stretch by now and reopened the whole of Chesterfield Avenue by the beginning of January.
Hopefully it'll get re-opened soon enough.

Very interesting to hear about the fort/bones.
Any idea from what period in history?

nells123 Registered User

No idea what period of history they might be from. Passed there this morning and the road is beign prepared for tarmac - I think we are near the end of our hardship.

1 person has thanked this post
dublinman1990 Registered User

Have the old fort and bones being passed on to the OPW?

There's enough old farts in the OPW. Oh wait ... FORTS!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!