Insect Overlord Moderator

One more stand-in reporting for duty!

I've been using this recipe for about three and a half years now and I've never had a bad one yet. I actually made it for dinner yesterday with my girlfriend, but we'd eaten it before I found out we'd need pictures!

Chicken Tequila Fettucini

Ingredients
3 large chicken breasts
Tagliatelle (easier to find than fettuccini! )
1 red pepper
1/2 green pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
1 red onion
4-6 medium mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic
2 mild chilli peppers
Fresh coriander
1 lime
soy sauce
1/2 chicken stock cube
100 ml cream
60 ml tequila
Butter or olive oil

Optional: cashew nuts; grated parmesan or cheddar cheese; vegetable stock

Serves 6

Preparation:

Step 1: Marinate
Take the juice of one half of the lime. Add a generous splash of soy sauce and half the tequila. Cut the chicken into small strips and stir in the marinate. Leave to soak in for as long as you like.

Step 2: Seasoning
Crush 2 cloves of garlic. Remove the seeds from the 2 chillies and cut into tiny pieces. Shred a handful of fresh coriander leaves.* These can be mixed together an kept in a small bowl to have them ready.

(* it may be cheaper and more practical to use tubes of garlic, chilli and coriander pastes, which can be bought in Dunnes, Tesco, etc. One teaspoon of each is a good amount for this recipe)

Step 3: Vegetables
Chop the peppers into thin strips, slice the mushrooms and cut the onion into small pieces.

Step 4: Stock
Add 150 mls of boiling water to half a cube of chicken stock. Stir in the rest of the tequila, the second half of the lemon juice and another splash of soy sauce.

Cooking:

• Heat some butter in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the seasoning and stir-fry until the garlic starts to brown, careful not to let it burn.
  • Add the chicken and the marinate to the pan and cook until the chicken shows no signs of pink
  • Add a kettle of boiled water to 8 parcels of tagliatelle. Sprinkle with salt and bring to the boil. Simmer until the pasta reaches its desired texture.
  • While the pasta softens, add the peppers, mushrooms and red onion to the pan. Pour in the stock/tequila/lime/soy mix and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.
  • Reduce the heat and add the 100 ml of fresh cream. Stir until the sauce is consistent throughout.
  • Strain the water off the pasta. Stir the contents of the pan into the pasta and toss until the chicken, etc are spread through evenly.

Serving:

Serve on a warm plate with the grated cheese and garnish with a few leaves of coriander.

For a vegetarian option, use cashew nuts and vegetable stock instead of chicken breast and chicken stock.
It also works quite nicely without the tequila.

9 people have thanked this post
Faith Mary Berry is my idol

Oh YUM! Cannot WAIT to try this

1 person has thanked this post
Aoibheann Moderator

I can confirm that this is actually amazing. You'll get addicted to it so easily, it's incredibly tasty.

Mellor Registered User

Is there much flavour left from the Tequila or is it more of a gimmick?
i've no problem with doing shots of tequila, but its not the sort of flavour i'd consider tasty (compared to other drinks)

Mellor said:
Is there much flavour left from the Tequila or is it more of a gimmick?
i've no problem with doing shots of tequila, but its not the sort of flavour i'd consider tasty (compared to other drinks)

There should be a hint of the flavour from the tequila, but the coriander, lime and chilli would be far more noticeable. Adding cream also helps to take the edge off it.

BaZmO* Registered User

Insect Overlord said:
There should be a hint of the flavour from the tequila, but the coriander, lime and chilli would be far more noticeable. Adding cream also helps to take the edge off it.

What about using Vodka instead of Tequila? I'm gonna make this tonight but I don't fancy buying a bottle of Tequila for dinner.......I might end up forgetting to make dinner!

2 people have thanked this post

BaZmO* said:
What about using Vodka instead of Tequila? I'm gonna make this tonight but I don't fancy buying a bottle of Tequila for dinner.......I might end up forgetting to make dinner!

It works perfectly without any alcohol at all.

I've never tried cooking with vodka so I'd prefer not to advise either way.

BaZmO* Registered User

Insect Overlord said:
It works perfectly without any alcohol at all.

I've never tried cooking with vodka so I'd prefer not to advise either way.

Ok, bottle of whiskey it is so!

BaZmO* said:
Ok, bottle of whiskey it is so!

Actually, where are you located? I think there are a few offies around Dublin that sell 100 ml bottles of tequila. I know there's a place in Dundrum that do them anyway. Much easier on the wallet than getting a full-sized bottle.

BaZmO* Registered User

Absolutely beautiful recipe. Had it last night and it was delish. Didn't use any booze though. Couldn't bring myself to put parmesan on it as my spidey senses were telling me that cheese and soya sauce just won't go!

Had enough ingredients to make 2 batches so I'm gonna have it again tonight.

Thanks OP. Great recipe.

7 people have thanked this post

That looks perfect! Fair play for the picture. Apologies again for not having photos up myself.

How would this work without the pepper and without (or a smaller amount) of the chilli peppers?

I am allergic to peppers and can only have a small amount of chilli powder, can't have actual chillies.

triseke Registered User

Im going to make this tomorrow night after work, looks great!

Purple_Bobbin said:
How would this work without the pepper and without (or a smaller amount) of the chilli peppers?

I am allergic to peppers and can only have a small amount of chilli powder, can't have actual chillies.

I've never tried it without the peppers, but I'm sure it would still be nice enough. The biggest loss would be on the visual side. The red, green and yellow makes the dish look lovely and colourful before you even begin eating.

Are there other vegetables you'd usually eat instead? I'd be interested in trying this with something different, if you could recommend anything.

Faith Mary Berry is my idol

BaZmO, did you think anything was missing by leaving out the alcohol? I'm having trouble sourcing anything other than 70cl bottles of Tequila. Although I could just pop to the local pub and get them to sell me a shot of it!

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!