Jessiegirl Registered User

I have about 11 mini dv tapes but no camcorder (It was a JVC bought in '02).

What's the best way to convert these to DVD? It will cost me several hundred to get this done professionally, with copies. If I want to do this myself do I need to buy a camcorder that will take these tapes and take if from there? I'd rather pay someone if it's very complicated and I don't want to damage the tapes (one is already). If I could borrow a camcorder that would be ideal, money is very tight. Thanks

bennz Registered User

if you send them to me i will transfer them to dvd for free

quad_red Registered User

Just got crystal media to convert two mini dv tapes. They provided a dvd copy and gave me MPEG and AVI copies on an external hard disk (which I provided obviously).

http://www.crystalmedia.ie/iopen24/

bennz Registered User

Did you not see the word Free in my reply?

quad_red Registered User

bennz said:
Did you not see the word Free in my reply?

Calm.

The only reason I put that in is that if people search boards on this topic they will see this thread.

You may not want to offer (generously) to do this service for every person who may/may not see this thread.

edit: & btw, I've nothing to do with that company. Their drop off was just near to my work making it convenient.

Jessiegirl Registered User

Thank you for both replying as I am considering all options. bennz you are very kind to offer to do this for free but as tapes are mostly of my son when a baby & toddler I would be reluctant to send them to a stranger, I'm sure you can appreciate why. Am considering picking up a second hand camcorder and attempting it myself

SouperComputer Moderator

Jessiegirl said:
Thank you for both replying as I am considering all options. bennz you are very kind to offer to do this for free but as tapes are mostly of my son when a baby & toddler I would be reluctant to send them to a stranger, I'm sure you can appreciate why. Am considering picking up a second hand camcorder and attempting it myself

Yep, grab a used DV cam off adverts and or eBay. You can use free software to capture the video to a HD, extra software would be required to put it on DVD. Personally I would keep a copy of the raw DV files on a HD or other media.

If you want to go really hardcore, you could buy a pro DV deck to make the most of what you have, then sell the deck when you are done.

embraer170 Registered User

How did you do it in the end?
I also have about 10 taps that I would like to save in digital format. I still have the camcorder (old JVC) but the firewire DV output doesn't seem to work.

reggaeman Registered User

Jessiegirl said:
I have about 11 mini dv tapes but no camcorder (It was a JVC bought in '02).

What's the best way to convert these to DVD? It will cost me several hundred to get this done professionally, with copies. If I want to do this myself do I need to buy a camcorder that will take these tapes and take if from there? I'd rather pay someone if it's very complicated and I don't want to damage the tapes (one is already). If I could borrow a camcorder that would be ideal, money is very tight. Thanks

You could also get a vhs adapter (it looks like a vhs tape) you just slot your mini tapes into it and put it in a old vhs player. (i have three old ones' so you should find it easy to pick one up' very cheap' or even borrow one.) then get yourself one of them DVD Makers. ( got mine in Aldi for €25)
How's it done.
With the scart adapter that comes with the DVD Maker you connect that to the VHS recorder and the USB end to your PC. On your PC you will need a program like PowerDirector. (I got mine from The Priate Bay for free)
Using PowerDirector is very easy. When you turn it on just click on the capture button at the top and press play on the VHS player. You should get a picture on the screen. At the bottom just press record' when the tape is finished you get the option to save file. (Or you can before hand choose where you would like it to be saved. This is all very easy' so don't be put off by all this. Have a go and let me know how you get on.

reggaeman Registered User

embraer170 said:
How did you do it in the end?
I also have about 10 taps that I would like to save in digital format. I still have the camcorder (old JVC) but the firewire DV output doesn't seem to work.

See my Quote.

chka Registered User

SouperComputer said:
Yep, grab a used DV cam off adverts and or eBay. You can use free software to capture the video to a HD, extra software would be required to put it on DVD. Personally I would keep a copy of the raw DV files on a HD or other media..

What free software? I also have the same problem. I just discovered that I have a bunch of mini DVs from an old JVC camera and while I have the USB cable, I can't find the software to transfer it to the computer.

reggaeman said:
You could also get a vhs adapter (it looks like a vhs tape) you just slot your mini tapes into it and put it in a old vhs player. (i have three old ones' so you should find it easy to pick one up' very cheap' or even borrow one.) then get yourself one of them DVD Makers. ( got mine in Aldi for €25)
How's it done.
With the scart adapter that comes with the DVD Maker you connect that to the VHS recorder and the USB end to your PC. On your PC you will need a program like PowerDirector. (I got mine from The Priate Bay for free)
Using PowerDirector is very easy. When you turn it on just click on the capture button at the top and press play on the VHS player. You should get a picture on the screen. At the bottom just press record' when the tape is finished you get the option to save file. (Or you can before hand choose where you would like it to be saved. This is all very easy' so don't be put off by all this. Have a go and let me know how you get on.

Its mini dv.

There's no VHS cassette adapter available to put tapes in.

One is digital the other is analogue.

He'll have to use some sort of AD convertor.

embraer170 Registered User

I eventually managed to download my tapes using the JVC camera cable and an old Sony laptop with a Firewire port. The problem is that the quality is real **** and nothing like what I used to get playing straight from the camera to the TV.

There must be some other way to do this.

Scarlet42 Registered User

must be the software settings you are using to import them .. what software are using using ..I'm in the process of doing this as well

Scarlet42 Registered User

or did you get sorted?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!