Dr Bob Moderator

This might die a horrible death , but a thread geared towards retro reviews?
Either ones we've knocked up , or funny/good found ones

I've been faffing about sampling the best and worst of the home conversions of Outrun.(excluding the PCE/MS/Dos versions), here they (are ..roughly in order of recording so they get slightly better as I go..not much though)

C64

Spectrum

Amstrad

Atari St

SMS and GG

And lastly..
Amiga and Megadrive

12 people have thanked this post
Sparks43 Registered User

Excellent
I was thinking about setting up something like this

But i would like to see a Text based review as well as vid

We could also compare the scores from Mag reviews of the time to how the game has aged as well

E.g Boulder Dash scores 92% in 1984

In 2011 it scores 108%

2 people have thanked this post
Retr0gamer Category Moderator

Halo:

Gaylo

Rating: 2%

Goldeneye:

Pinkeye

Rating: 2.5%

1 person has thanked this post
Sparks43 Registered User

Guys there is a civil war going on in Libiya at the mo

Lets not start one here

But i agree Halo is ****

2 people have thanked this post

Boulderdash:

Shitsandwich

Sorry couldn't help it

3 people have thanked this post
James Howlett Registered User

luas_dublin said:
This might die a horrible death , but a thread geared towards retro reviews?
Either ones we've knocked up , or funny/good found ones

This could make for interesting reading, good idea man.

johnny_ultimate Production Model EVA-02

Retr0gamer said:
Boulderdash:

Shitsandwich

Sorry couldn't help it

While I always appreciate Spinal Tap references, Boulderdash puns are a dime a dozen.

Bouldergash, Boulderrash, Bouldershat...

And of course the simplest and most effective: Balderdash! The latter is most effective when your monocle falls off.

LoGiE Moderator

Lou lally lou lets play! I'll be giving out special prizes for anyone going on about Halo or Goldeneye for at least another ohhh six months or so.

I have to say I enjoyed your reviews. Outrun is an arcade game I'd played a lot back in the day along with Power Drift in Dublin Airport. I'd forgotten how useless some of the conversions from U.S Gold had been and hadn't even seen the Amstrad version. Why not do an arcade version review just to complete the set?

Dr Bob Moderator

LoGiE said:
Lou lally lou lets play! I'll be giving out special prizes for anyone going on about Halo or Goldeneye for at least another ohhh six months or so.

I have to say I enjoyed your reviews. Outrun is an arcade game I'd played a lot back in the day along with Power Drift in Dublin Airport. I'd forgotten how useless some of the conversions from U.S Gold had been and hadn't even seen the Amstrad version. Why not do an arcade version review just to complete the set?

LoGiE said:

Cheers! As for the Arcade version ..I actually am doing it in a little while!
I've a PS2 wheel hooked up to a laptop (with TV) running MAME , which short of building a cockpit and getting my missus and daughter to move it when I steer is as close as I can get to the real thing!.
I want to do one or two smaller reviews , then put the arcade review up.
I'm looking at the conversions of Gauntlet next which means getting it for
Atari 8 bit/c64/spectrum/NES/Amstrad/Atari st/SMS/Meg
(I've about half them so far..)

You're being really thorough with reviewing every version of the game. Have you thought about writing them up for HG101? I'm sure they'd love a submission like that and they usually require you to be thorough with the playing and reviewing all the ports which you seem to have been.

Sparks43 Registered User

Game:Cavern Fighter
Format:Zx Spectrum
Released:1983 By Bug Byte Software

Price: £5.95 on release (Can be found now on Ebay for around the same)

One of the early shmups and one of the first games i owned for the speccy.Conversion of the Arcade game Scramble which was a classic game.

Simple game blast the crap out of anything that moves and pick up fuel by shooting the fuel pods and make sure you dont smash into the walls

Its quite a tricky little game that as you will see in the vid i need a bit more practice on.I found myself playing this through 3 cups of coffee so it still has a bit to offer in competition with todays Shmups e.g Chou Aniki R Type Etc

Well worth a play and id suggest finding it on an emulator

Crash Score 1983: 92%

Score 2011: 78%

3 people have thanked this post
CiDeRmAn Category Moderator

Retr0 can do a review of the various versions of Cho Aniki and what he likes to wear when playing.....

5 people have thanked this post
Atavan-Halen <b>He Touched My Breast!!</b>

I'd like to start doing reviews and things, maybe I'll do a review of something...

Definitely going to do some reviews too. Soon as I can figure out how to get a good recording of the PSP I'll do Darius Burst (once it's arrived).

Pimping my crappy blog but put up my thoughts on Dragon Quest 1. Currently doing one on goldeneye to be controversial

http://lifein16bit.blogspot.com/2011/08/dragon-quest.html

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!