73Cat Registered User
#7,486

Luminious said:
Working Stiff Two Years, 262 Bodies, and The Making Of A Medical Examinar by Judy Melinek M.D. And T.J. Mitchell

A fascinating book. If you enjoy that, and you haven't read it already "Smoke gets in Your Eyes" by Caitlin Doughty is a great insight into the world of cremation.

3 people have thanked this post
muppetshow1451 Registered User
#7,487

The strange death of Europe by Douglas Murray,highly recommended.

Luminious Registered User
#7,488

73Cat said:
A fascinating book. If you enjoy that, and you haven't read it already "Smoke gets in Your Eyes" by Caitlin Doughty is a great insight into the world of cremation.

Agreed thank you for the recommendation I have read that one - it was very good too One for you along these lines if you haven't read it is Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

1 person has thanked this post
Autosport Registered User
#7,489

Gallery of the dead by Chris Carter. Love this mans mind

Ipso Registered User
#7,490

Ravenspur: Rise of the Tudors by Con Iggulden. The fourth and last of his War of the Roses series, fascinating period of history and a family tree that is like a pretzel.
He's not as good a writer as Bernard Cornwell (who I'd like to see tackle the story).
Has anyone a recommendation for a good book on the topic?

eviltwin Registered User
#7,491

Luminious said:
Agreed thank you for the recommendation I have read that one - it was very good too One for you along these lines if you haven't read it is Stiff The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach

There's a good one written by a medical examiner. Morgue by Vincent Dimaio

2 people have thanked this post
eisenberg1 Registered User
#7,492

Luminious said:

Is that her real surname?😊

griffin100 Registered User
#7,493

About 20 years after I first read it I'm rereading Strumpet City. It's a fantastic book. I won't say it mimics current society, but there are some similarities, which considering the plot is set a century ago suggests nothing much changes in this country.

mariaalice Registered User
#7,494

griffin100 said:
About 20 years after I first read it I'm rereading Strumpet City. It's a fantastic book. I won't say it mimics current society, but there are some similarities, which considering the plot is set a century ago suggests nothing much changes in this country.

Have you read The Circus Animals by the same writer my husband really rates it but I can't get into it, I have made a couple of attempts to read it.

kimokanto Registered User
#7,495

The Old man & the sea. Hemingway. Not my first or last time to read this. So good.

Ipso Registered User
#7,496

kimokanto said:
The Old man & the sea. Hemingway. Not my first or last time to read this. So good.

I'm hitting a birthday milestone soon, I may re-read it. Then I'll go to sleep and dream about the lions.

bluewolf Category Moderator
#7,497

seveneves by neal stephenson.
i think he's great in general but it's slower going than i'm used to.
great book so far though
just finished the bear and the nightingale which was great, i'm gonna get the next one

Srameen Registered User
#7,498

Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick.
The story of the pilgrim fathers. Nicely written and very informative on an aspect of history I only had a passing knowledge of.

mikhail Registered User
#7,499

bluewolf said:
seveneves by neal stephenson.
i think he's great in general but it's slower going than i'm used to.
great book so far though

While it was generally well received, a lot of people really hate the gear change in the last third of it. I enjoyed it though.

Malari Registered User
#7,500

I've started Stoner by John Williams, as I'd never heard of it before, but it seemed to be recommended by quite a few people. So far so dull really. I'm about a third of the way through and it's not appealing to me at all.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!