gnilhsa Registered User

Has anyone else heard of the curse put on the mayo players the last time they won the final? I remember hearin' it when i was younger but can't remember how it came about! Has anyone got any ideas?

Spudman_20000 Registered User

I believe it was a curse by a priest that said Mayo wouldn't win another All-Ireland until there were no more surviving members of the last winning team left.

Coillte_Bhoy Registered User

total bull****, none of the 1951 team ever even heard of it when asked

1 person has thanked this post
nuac Moderator

an urban myth.

best of luck to them against Kerry

Spudman_20000 said:
I believe it was a curse by a priest that said Mayo wouldn't win another All-Ireland until there were no more surviving members of the last winning team left.

This is true.

YouTookMyName Registered User

Something got to do with paying no repect to a funeral when they were passing through strokestown on the way home.

alex73 Registered User

YouTookMyName said:
Something got to do with paying no repect to a funeral when they were passing through strokestown on the way home.

Urban myth.. According to player of the last winning team ( who happens to be a priest )

What Mayo needs is faith.... Not myths.

Irishgoatman Registered User

alex73 said:
Urban myth.. According to player of the last winning team ( who happens to be a priest )

What Mayo needs is faith.... Not myths.

Very true. Too many people have a negative attitude. THINK POSITIVE.
Put flags and bunting out, show the lads that we are behind them. Above all don't keep saying "Not in my life time".

Go for fellers, you can do it.

gnilhsa Registered User

Oh well, Maybe next year!

leonidas83 Banned

gnilhsa said:
Oh well, Maybe next year!

Wouldnt bet on it

yop Moderator

leonidas83 said:
Wouldnt bet on it

Behave.

leonidas83 Banned

yop said:
Behave.

Behave yourself

Irishgoatman Registered User

I have to say that I fail to see what the moderator's problem is here?.

Perhaps yop, you could explain a little better.

My comment to leonadas83 is that we have to live in hope (or die in despair).

We may have strayed a little from the myth subject, but that's the way conversations go.

1 person has thanked this post
leonidas83 Banned

I for one am especially interested in seeing if there is any substance to the curse theory as I am sure their are gaa players out there who are superstitious and wonder whether this affects them during matches or not

yop Moderator

leonidas83 said:
I for one am especially interested in seeing if there is any substance to the curse theory as I am sure their are gaa players out there who are superstitious and wonder whether this affects during matches or not

Well lets see if anyone has any sight, its highly unlikely that it does and its a wives tale anyway.

*******removing irrelevant thread posts******

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!