Geansai Rua Registered User
#1

Hi,
Looking to get some beginner lessons in Westport or close to it. Total beginner, but have a feeling I'll love it, so considering a couple of days package kinda thing..

Googled it but only found two places, there must be more. Any recommendations?

tedshredsonfire Registered User
#2

my two cents is go to achill and http://www.blackfield.com has a lovely little coffe shop in there as well.

1 person has thanked this post
susu09 Registered User
#3

West Coast Adventures and Surf School surf at Cross near Louisbugh, which is about the closest surfing beach to Westport(about 30 mins). They will collect you and drop you back to Westport too.

1 person has thanked this post
Emelio Banned
#4

why not go to portugal and do beginner course.
it very cheap, almost free.
get ryanair flight to faro or lisbon, then train to surf school.
lots of surf chicks around too, unlike mayo where it is likely you meet whale of woman!
beginner to expert course available
i will search for link and post to you

lofto Registered User
#5

http://www.surfmayo.com/

keep the business local!!!

keryl Registered User
#6

Emelio said:
why not go to portugal and do beginner course.
it very cheap, almost free.
get ryanair flight to faro or lisbon, then train to surf school.
lots of surf chicks around too, unlike mayo where it is likely you meet whale of woman!
beginner to expert course available
i will search for link and post to you



Idiot.

Yeah go to Surf Mayo if your around the Westport area. No need to go to Portugal.

The gang in Achill are your Achill options. Ger Byrne 7th Wave in Enniscrone is excellent too.

cornbb Registered User
#7

keryl said:
Idiot.


Don't post here again if you can't be civil.

Irishmarinelife Registered User
#8

Surf Mayo at Carrowniskey are the longest running surf school in Mayo, and Elvis their surf coach, is possibly the most stylish surfer and the nicest guy you will ever meet! Anyone who knows him will vouch for this!

Geansai Rua Registered User
#9

Cool thanks guys... I can't wait to give it a go!

Mickeroo Category Moderator
#10

Irishmarinelife said:
Surf Mayo at Carrowniskey are the longest running surf school in Mayo, and Elvis their surf coach, is possibly the most stylish surfer and the nicest guy you will ever meet! Anyone who knows him will vouch for this!


It's true! Don't know him personally but a friendlier guy in the surf you are unlikely to meet!

keryl Registered User
#11

cornbb said:
Don't post here again if you can't be civil.


Sorry but his reply was completely pointless and offensive.

cornbb Registered User
#12

keryl said:
Sorry but his reply was completely pointless and offensive.


In that case hit the report post button and let the moderator deal with it instead of being offensive in return.

famoussheamus Registered User
#13

I would go with what the above posters have said, surf local with people who understand the waves here. Portugal has a minefiled of surf schools which sometimes do not actually teach you to surf. Get to carrowniskey/cross its your closest consistant surf with a lifeguard.

InkDispatch Registered User
#14

does anyone know where would be the nearest beach to castlebar where you could get surf lessons?

Mickeroo Category Moderator
#15

InkDispatch said:
does anyone know where would be the nearest beach to castlebar where you could get surf lessons?


Carrownisky is the nearest, about 40 minutes drive or so. then you have keel and enniscrone which are about an hour away. Not sure any of the surf schools will be open yet.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!