alxmorgan Registered User

Hey guys,

Played today and irons were all over the gaff.
Played with two lads who took lovely big divots on all iron shots and I noticed I don't do the same. I am scorching the top of the grass at most and I feel I'm not making great contact

any drills on how to take divots ?

thanks

Iceboy Registered User

Free lesson for ya

1 person has thanked this post
Killed Registered User

Have you tried moving your ball position back slightly ?

Spudmonkey Registered User

alxmorgan said:
Hey guys,

Played today and irons were all over the gaff.
Played with two lads who took lovely big divots on all iron shots and I noticed I don't do the same. I am scorching the top of the grass at most and I feel I'm not making great contact

any drills on how to take divots ?

thanks

Taking big divots is not necessarily a good thing. You should take virtually none with the long irons and a shallow enough divots with the short irons. Taking big divots might give the impression that someone is making good contact with the ball but that may not be the case.

Osgoodisgood Registered User

Iceboy said:
Free lesson for ya

Good god. That is probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

goodgolfer64 Registered User

ball first then divot...a good shot doesnt have to have a divot...depends how steep your attack into the balls is really....dont wanna be thinking bout divots when your first task is striking the white ball...

fullstop Registered User

Do the greenkeepers a favour and keep doing what you're doing.

stockdam Registered User

goodgolfer64 said:
ball first then divot...a good shot doesnt have to have a divot...depends how steep your attack into the balls is really....dont wanna be thinking bout divots when your first task is striking the white ball...

Taking a huge divot doesn't mean that it occurs after the ball is hit. Hit the golf ball before hitting the ground and you should be ok (as above).

alxmorgan Registered User

thanks for the replies guys

I found this video

http://www.youtube.com/user/4golfonline#p/u/1/bw4jUAVr5eo

which talks about straightening the right knee too much
This is definitely something I do (was flagged to me in my only lesson so far a while back) and perhaps is more what I need to focus on than divots

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!