Chiparus Registered User
#1

Brought the bedside jar of coins to Tesco, where they have a coin machine. It said quite clearly exchange the "full value against tesco shopping" however they took 9% ( 10 euro) and refused to exchange the full value against my shopping bill.

Is there anything I can do?

kippy Registered User
#2

Chiparus said:
Brought the bedside jar of coins to Tesco, where they have a coin machine. It said quite clearly exchange the "full value against tesco shopping" however they took 9% ( 10 euro) and refused to exchange the full value against my shopping bill.

Is there anything I can do?


9.5% is the standard fee I have seen on these machines in other places. (Usually advertised on the machine)
Don't use them, absolute rip off in general.
Theres more efficient ways of cashing in the change.

2 people have thanked this post
Dublin_Gunner Registered User
#3

kippy said:
9.5% is the standard fee I have seen on these machines in other places. (Usually advertised on the machine)
Don't use them, absolute rip off in general.
Theres more efficient ways of cashing in the change.



Like use it in the self service checkout

9 people have thanked this post
Doyler92 Registered User
#4

Dublin_Gunner said:
Like use it in the self service checkout


True or like myself, your local corner shop is usually hapy with change. The only thing is you would have to bag it yourself but still worth the saving of 9%.

2 people have thanked this post
wmpdd3 Registered User
#5

Use the self scans to spend you change, just lob it all in after you've put through your items. It usually gives back €2 coins for anything you've over paid.

#6

Chiparus said:
Brought the bedside jar of coins to Tesco, where they have a coin machine. It said quite clearly exchange the "full value against tesco shopping" however they took 9% ( 10 euro) and refused to exchange the full value against my shopping bill.

Is there anything I can do?


Plenty of areas where tesco try and rip customers off (especially on special offers which don't appear on receipts) but this isn't one of them.

Its very clearly marked on these machines that a commission rate is applied.

Tesco (Centra, Super Valu, Spar, Londis etc etc) rent the space to the operators of the machine and provide the voucher encashment service for which they probably charge a fee. Full value of the voucher is given by Tesco with no further encashment fee.


I agree it is written in a way that some people could think that 100% of the coins value is given, but a second look would tell you otherwise.


In the USA & Canada, the fees are higher - Fee for coin counting when exchanging for cash = 9.8 cents per dollar counted in USA; 11.9 cents per dollar counted in Canada.

And the main company that runs these machines is only worth $1.5bn!!!! and had a net profit last year of $71million. - Ticker = CSTR Cooinstar Inc, if you want to buy shares in it

keithclancy Registered User
#7

Chiparus said:
Brought the bedside jar of coins to Tesco, where they have a coin machine. It said quite clearly exchange the "full value against tesco shopping" however they took 9% ( 10 euro) and refused to exchange the full value against my shopping bill.

Is there anything I can do?


If it states this on the machine then they should honor the agreement, I'd take a picture and sent it to Tesco head office.

If they don't offer this deal then they should not advertise it as you have used the service under the agreement you get the full value against your shopping.

However I would assume you would also have to spend the full value against your shopping otherwise you could just use it, present your receipt and buy a pack of gum to change an unlimited amount of cash.

Techno_Toaster Registered User
#8

In my local Tesco they charge the 9% too but exchange the voucher for cash or off shopping no problem so it must be something to do with your local store. Talk to a manager or email tesco.

#9

You can buy a Euro coin sorter for about €15 quid if you really have piles of change.

Go into any decent bank branch, particularly ones that deal with a lot of commercial cash, and they'll give you bags.

Load bags + bring to branch, they weigh them and will lodge to your account.

Chiparus Registered User
#10

keithclancy said:
If it states this on the machine then they should honor the agreement, I'd take a picture and sent it to Tesco head office.

If they don't offer this deal then they should not advertise it as you have used the service under the agreement you get the full value against your shopping.

However I would assume you would also have to spend the full value against your shopping otherwise you could just use it, present your receipt and buy a pack of gum to change an unlimited amount of cash.


I complained to the manager who said "full value" referred to the full value of the voucher.

wmpdd3 Registered User
#11

Techno_Toaster said:
In my local Tesco they charge the 9% too but exchange the voucher for cash or off shopping no problem so it must be something to do with your local store. Talk to a manager or email tesco.



No its the exact same sign but the OP is not reading it as the full face value of the voucher, but the full value of the coin he/she put in the machine.

1 person has thanked this post
Chiparus Registered User
#12

Yes, the options are posted on the outside of the machine:

"Exchange for cash at the Customer Service Desk"
or
"Redeem the full value against your shopping at any tesco store."

To me it seemed they would charge a commission if you opted for cash but nothing if you opted to use the voucher in Tescos.

I should have just brought the coins (€102 in 20 c,10c etc to the checkout).

the groutch Registered User
#13

Chiparus said:

I should have just brought the coins (€102 in 20 c,10c etc to the checkout).


except they legally only have to take 50 for a transaction (EC 974/98)

1 person has thanked this post
#14

the groutch said:
except they legally only have to take 50 for a transaction (EC 974/98)

I wonder does the self scan checkouts stop taking after 50

#15

Max Power1 said:
I wonder does the self scan checkouts stop taking after 50


It will take whatever you have, assuming your willing to endure the angry eyes of the people in the Q behind you......just do your shopping at 3am and your golden

1 person has thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!