unfit2006 Registered User
#16

PaddyP,

thanks for that. How do you think that would go with a conversion on a Caravelle or something similar where the original vrt would have been paid at the private car rate ? Another example would be a small minibus maybe.

Lets say that revenue calculated that as a converted camper it was now liable for €1,000 vrt based on it's OMSP, would they then offset the vrt that was paid on the vehicle originally ?

Buford T Justice Registered User
#17

unfit2006 said:
PaddyP,

thanks for that. How do you think that would go with a conversion on a Caravelle or something similar where the original vrt would have been paid at the private car rate ? Another example would be a small minibus maybe.

Lets say that revenue calculated that as a converted camper it was now liable for €1,000 vrt based on it's OMSP, would they then offset the vrt that was paid on the vehicle originally ?



If you have imported a vehicle, paid commercial or private VRT and re-classified it, then what you have already paid will be offset. EG, my VRT was €660, but I only paid €610 as I had already paid the €50. Not sure what the story with a vehicle that was first regged in Ireland though

cian1500ww said:
Is it possible to get a large vehicle ie. a truck reclassified as a camper?? We're thinking of converting one but it's gross weight is over 6 ton.


Re-classifying it should be ok, but read the form I have linked to about re-classifying, its in there. If its a HGV you are re-classifying you may have issues with insurance though, so you might want to check that out first.

1 person has thanked this post
unfit2006 Registered User
#18

Fingers McGee said:
If you have imported a vehicle, paid commercial or private VRT and re-classified it, then what you have already paid will be offset. EG, my VRT was €660, but I only paid €610 as I had already paid the €50. Not sure what the story with a vehicle that was first regged in Ireland though



Any other opinions on this ?

Does it apply only in the case where the van was imported into Ireland as a used vehicle by it's current owner ?

paddymul Registered User
#19

any idea what the situation is with a conversion that is already taxed as a camper for the past 6 years but where there as been no vrt paid.

Buford T Justice Registered User
#20

paddymul said:
any idea what the situation is with a conversion that is already taxed as a camper for the past 6 years but where there as been no vrt paid.


You take you're chances when you go to tax it again then, basically. They can refuse to tax it for you as a motorhome when its listed as a commercial vehicle on the RF101

paddymul Registered User
#21

its down as a motor caravan onthe RF101 sowhere does that leave me I wonder

Buford T Justice Registered User
#22

If its a motorcaravan on the RF101 then it's already been re-classified. no need to worry about VRT.

#23

paddymul said:
its down as a motor caravan onthe RF101 sowhere does that leave me I wonder


If its down as motor caravan I can't see the tax office arguing with taxing it at camper rate, maybe you need to go to another tax office.

sam.b Registered User
#24

Hello, inspired by this this thread (and the removal of the 1.8m rule). I finished my conversion and I headed down to my local NAIS garage with my form in hand completed as per your instructions above.

The SQI there wanted to complete this part of the form too though, so provided another copy which I only signed. His versions states N1 converted to N1 ( not m1)..Does this matter? Is N1 a camper too? He said changing to M1 means I would have to pay or private road tax?


P.s its a VW transporter panel van at the moment, also it cost me 100 yoyo and he laminated both forms after stamping them.

Buford T Justice Registered User
#25

sam.b said:
Hello, inspired by this this thread (and the removal of the 1.8m rule). I finished my conversion and I headed down to my local NAIS garage with my form in hand completed as per your instructions above.

The SQI there wanted to complete this part of the form too though, so provided another copy which I only signed. His versions states N1 converted to N1 ( not m1)..Does this matter? Is N1 a camper too? He said changing to M1 means I would have to pay or private road tax?


P.s its a VW transporter panel van at the moment, also it cost me 100 yoyo and he laminated both forms after stamping them.


Ye it matters. Very much so. He doesn't have a bulls notion as to what he's talking about. N1 to N1 is not a re-classification. They will return the form to you.

Private tax my arse. He's thinking of N1 as a commercial vehicle for tax purposes, but you will not be taxing you're vehicle as privately either, it will be a Motorcaravan, which is different again.

On page 2 of the reclassification form, it states that:
To be deemed a motor caravan for vehicle registration purposes, a vehicle must be an EU Category M1, M2 or M3 vehicle with a bodytype SA


Fill the form out yourself, and only ask him to sign and stamp the form, and a certificate on headed paper. Rosslare will not process the form with a reclassification from N1 to N1

sam.b Registered User
#26

Damn..thought that was dodgy.. What about number of seats, I had from 3 to 5 (as the bed is 2 seats), and belts 3-5 as well

Buford T Justice Registered User
#27

sam.b said:
Damn..thought that was dodgy.. What about number of seats, I had from 3 to 5 (as the bed is 2 seats), and belts 3-5 as well


Just put in what you have done with it. If you've 5 seats and 5 belts, then that's what I'd put in......

Mr Craggy Registered User
#28

Thank you for the most useful info I can now fill the form in and get my van registered as a camper. More help than I got from the "jobs worth" at the Revenue Commission.
Thanks again Mr Craggy:

1 person has thanked this post
Buford T Justice Registered User
#29

If you read this post, its clearly explained. To be re-classified as a campervan, the Original EU bodywork needs to be down as BB, and the new bodywork type needs to be SA. It doesn't matter what SA means, it just needs to be on the form as SA.

driadaifni Registered User
#30

thank You for answer, in registration certificate my chevy stand as MINIBUS, not BB (van Lorry)

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!