Wex1977 Registered User

I have read some very mixed reviews on these jeeps and am looking for honest opinions from anyone who has driven/ owned one. At the moment I drive a commercial Nissan x trail. I am happy with it but hate the look of it. Due to the imminent arrival of baby soon I need to get a passenger jeep. I like the look of the ssangyong kyron and I especially like the price !!! My budget will not allow me to buy much so I either buy another Nissan x trail or something like the ssangyong. I am looking at 2007/2008 models 4x4 passenger. I am not overly worried about resale value which I know is crap as I will have it a few yrs. So anyone got an honest opinion. How for example would it compare to Nissan x trail, KIA sportage, Hyundai Tucson which are in the same price range. Thanks in advance :-)

mickdw Registered User

Ive heard of a few serious enough engine issues with them. They are reported to have mercedes engine but it seems the engines are some form of copy built completely independant of mercedes and nowhere near mercedes quality

colm_mcm Registered User

Isn't it a 2.0 diesel?

Thought the 2.7 /2.9 engines were Mercedes copies alright.

There is a reason they only sold here for a few years, ssangyong were one of the worse made brands to go on sale in recent history.

2 people have thanked this post

So you hate the look of the X-Trail, but like the look of the Ssangyong Kyron, you really should visit your GP because that's not normal behavior.

I'd certainly consider a Sportage/ Tucson (same car) over one. I'd also consider most every other option, i'd place the Kyron somewhere between having to walk to work, and having to walk to work carrying the people I used to carpool with on my back.

Sorry OP, rant over

2 people have thanked this post
Ardennes1944 Registered User

my boss has one, he seems to love it, says "its a lovely aul bus" but i drove it one day and by god its horrible. he also doesnt have much luck with it regarding reliablity. avoid like the plague....IMO

Limerick man Registered User

If the Rexton is anything to go by I'd run a mile.

There's a reason why they're cheaper than their counter parts

dan hibiki Registered User

engine is not mercedes. awful ride quality, ****e brakes, problems with electrics and not light on diesel. go for the kia, imho.

Daegerty Banned

A boring ould hape

Koreans don't know how to make cars. They know how to make a lot of things, just cars aren't on that list.

1 person has thanked this post
jimmycrackcorm Registered User

Daegerty said:
A boring ould hape

Koreans don't know how to make cars. They know how to make a lot of things, just cars aren't on that list.

If every other manufacturer knew how to make cars then they'd be offering 7 year warranties. I suspect you've never driven a Kia...

Ardennes1944 Registered User

They definitely know how to make cars, just ones you cannot enjoy unless there is something wrong with you

1 person has thanked this post
dan hibiki Registered User

Deutschlandfürimmer7;72282501
They definitely know how to make cars, just ones you cannot enjoy unless there is something wrong with you

had a sorento. fantastic apart from fuel economy.

techie Registered User

I have a Kia Sportage and will be getting another one when this one is to be replaced in a few years time.

Daegerty said:
A boring ould hape

Kia/Hyundai make very decent cars these days and are in a different league to ssangyong.

I would give anything to see the Germans put their money where their mouth is an offer a 5/7 year warranty!

Stevie Dakota Registered User

Got talking to a hapless Kyron owner who bought on a whim and one year later was trying to find a way to get rid of the hopeless thing. Dealer was offering him a third of what he paid...

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!