Alanstrainor Moderator
#31



I had considered it, and it would probably be the easiest to insure, but it's just fugly as hell! If the insurance quotes on the FTO and the likes are flat refusals i'll come back to the octy vrs and the likes.
-Corkie- said:
Isnt Draffodx selling his ST. I know it might be out of budget but its very clean


I could push out the budget to a ST, but I just couldn't justify it at the minute. Maybe in a few years!

Cionád Registered User
#32
savagecabbages Registered User
#33

Ha was thinking about starting a thread re: what people think of the Fiat Coupe 20vT. Its def something different, fast as hell (220bhp) and dirt cheap. Then again your going into 1990s second hand Fiat territory with one...
I know nothing about them, but like something a bit different. Or the idea of something a bit different anyway

Or something the same as everyone else but better:
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2165574

Ardennes1944 Registered User
#34

what about? this: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2152526 as an example

giles01 Registered User
#35

What about this? I think it's one of the best looking cars in its class, cracking little engine, good performance, reasonable mpg and it has a few nice gadgets!

Ardennes1944 Registered User
#36

giles01 said:
What about this? I think it's one of the best looking cars in its class, cracking little engine, good performance, reasonable mpg and it has a few nice gadgets!


my next car to be too id say

#37

I know I keep mentioning them, but what about an MX-5 or Fiat Coupe?

Alanstrainor Moderator
#38

Deutschlandfürimmer7;72289930
what about? this: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2152526 as an example


I'll run into trouble with insurance on something like that i'd imagine. And although it's great it's a big car, for someone who doesn't need any space. I'd rather a nimble, not so fast car over something that's nearing barge territory.
savagecabbages said:
Ha was thinking about starting a thread re: what people think of the Fiat Coupe 20vT. Its def something different, fast as hell (220bhp) and dirt cheap. Then again your going into 1990s second hand Fiat territory with one...
I know nothing about them, but like something a bit different. Or the idea of something a bit different anyway

Or something the same as everyone else but better:
http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2165574


The golf GTI is one of those cars that I never understood why people went mad for them. It's not one i'd be mad keen on. Although i've never driven one.


Again, that's getting more into luxobarge territory, good fast cars, no doubt. But it's just not something i'm after.

I've been looking around at FTOs online, and a lot have been skangerised, so it might be difficult to find a good one. And insurance would be a problem. Haven't rung my broker yet, (I'm months away from purchase anyway). But it's probably my favourite so far.


As for MX5, it's always one i'd recommend on any of these threads, purely from reading about them. But unfortunately I just can't insure one at 23, most insurers run a mile from a 1.6 soft top!

Fiat coupe, look great, but what about reliability on them? I've heard they're a disaster. And that's not you're generic fiat pub talk kind of stuff!

savagecabbages Registered User
#39

Alanstrainor said:

The golf GTI is one of those cars that I never understood why people went mad for them. It's not one i'd be mad keen on. Although i've never driven one.


Theres nothing to drive one mad about them really. Its still a Golf, A GTI is just a higher spec faster one with better suspension/brakes. Same as any other hot version of a hatchback...


They are well built, well specced, comfortable etc. The 25th Anniversary one is the only one i'd bother with as its 180bhp, all the others are 150bhp. (i think)

colm_mcm Registered User
#40

Alanstrainor said:


I've been looking around at FTOs online, and a lot have been skangerised, so it might be difficult to find a good one. And insurance would be a problem. Haven't rung my broker yet, (I'm months away from purchase anyway). But it's probably my favourite


Sign up to www.fto-ireland.com
Get a feel for the different modifications available
Most of the ftos on donedeal etc get commented on so it'd save you a bit of legwork. In my opinion the club cars are the best minded and its easy to search owners posts to see any issues the car might have had.

There are a good few badly modified ones out there, the owners are generally not on the site.
You probably know I've had a few of them.

1 person has thanked this post
Alanstrainor Moderator
#41

Have just been looking at online quotes, and ringing around to my broker, and it appears that my assumption of not being able to get insured on an MX5 was wrong! Got quotes of less than 1000 for a 2002 1.6 and a around 1100 for tpft on the 1.8!

It will probably be a few months before I do anything. But tbh, an MX5 seems to be the best option! Fun, decent looking, rwd, reliable, cheap to run/tax/insure. Ticks all the boxes!

1 person has thanked this post
Ardennes1944 Registered User
#42

Alanstrainor said:
Have just been looking at online quotes, and ringing around to my broker, and it appears that my assumption of not being able to get insured on an MX5 was wrong! Got quotes of less than 1000 for a 2002 1.6 and a around 1100 for tpft on the 1.8!

It will probably be a few months before I do anything. But tbh, an MX5 seems to be the best option! Fun, decent looking, rwd, reliable, cheap to run/tax/insure. Ticks all the boxes!


^^^ usually the conclusion these type threads come too

1 person has thanked this post
Alanstrainor Moderator
#43

Deutschlandfürimmer7;72310533
^^^ usually the conclusion these type threads come too


Indeed! But even last year when I was pondering the same question MX5 quotes were impossible.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!