I_ENJOY_BATHS Registered User

I was always taught BOMDAS, however I've just been told that the order actually has division first...

Any help on this is appreciated.

Chemistry Ftw Registered User

I_ENJOY_BATHS said:
I was always taught BOMDAS, however I've just been told that the order actually has division first...

I've always been told that its BOMDAS, so multiply before division.

Captain Chaos Registered User

In primary and secondary school we were taught BOMDAS but when I went to college the lecturers said BODMAS was the only way and asked us where we got the BOMDAS system from.

A good friend of mine told me she's always been taught BODMAS, and if you google bomdas it automatically corrects it to bodmas.

Although other people are saying it doesn't make a difference, but that's hardly true, is it?

Thanks for the reply.

RHRN Registered User

Multiplication and division have equal precedence, do them in the order from left to right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

AlmightyCushion Moderator

We were always told BOMDAS but that multiplication and division were considered equal and were done left to right. Same with addition and subtraction.

sugarman Registered User

Captain Chaos said:
In primary and secondary school we were taught BOMDAS but when I went to college the lecturers said BODMAS was the only way and asked us where we got the BOMDAS system from.

Same!

angie16ab Registered User

BOMDAS

Ahhh okay so I think I remember now about doing the equation left to right on multiplication-division and addition-subtraction.

Thanks for the feedback.

MathsManiac Moderator

If you scroll down to the heading "mnemonics" in the link RHRN gave, you'll see that it doesn't matter whether you say BOMDAS or BODMAS, because, either way, it is crucial to understand that multiplication and division have equal precedence, just as addition and subtraction have equal precedence.

2 people have thanked this post
wnolan1992 Moderator

BOMDAS 4 Life.

Taught that in Primary and secondary. In college though we were told that just to do multiplication and division from left to right, so either BOMDAS or BODMAS are right imo.

sponsoredwalk Registered User

Could anybody give a better example than 6÷2(1+2)=?, a serious one,
that will convince me to even use my brain to decipher what each of
those capital letters stands for (I know b is Brackets & I don't want to
know the rest unless there's a good example why I should).

nothing Registered User

I was taught it as BOMDAS, although it can also be BODMAS, BIMDAS, BIDMAS, PEMDAS, PEDMAS and so on.

Brackets (or Parentheses), Of (or Indices or Exponents), Division and Multiplication (equal precedence, work from left to right), Addition and Subtraction (equal precedence, work from left to right)

But I think BoPOoIoEDaMepwfltrAaSepwltr is a bit of a mouthful...

1 person has thanked this post

If this descends into rubbish like the other thread it'll be locked.

Fremen Registered User

I_ENJOY_BATHS said:

It doesn't matter. If there's ever any ambiguity (as in the threat that must not be named), then whoever wrote down the expression screwed up.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!