hamhamwich Registered User
#31

Deano12345 said:
Provided your other components aren't too OTT (I ran my rig with 4890 off a HX450 to give you an idea) , and your 400W is a decent PSU, then you could get away with it. If it doesn't, then a Corsair CX430 or the Super Flower 450W are ideal choices for a 5850 equipped rig


Ok thanks.

I might try my 400W PS but I really don't think it will work.

I if not I might go for this Super Flower 550W since its only €4 more expensive than the 450W.

Does anyone know how much P&P is from that hardwareversand site? I cant seem to find it in English.

Tea_Bag Registered User
#32

hamhamwich said:
Ok thanks.

I might try my 400W PS but I really don't think it will work.

I if not I might go for this Super Flower 550W since its only €4 more expensive than the 450W.

Does anyone know how much P&P is from that hardwareversand site? I cant seem to find it in English.

P&P is a flat rate of €30 no matter how large the order is, so you might have to look elsewhere.

dont get the Corsair CX430W, as i believe its a terrible PSU. - corrected

deconduo Moderator
#33

hamhamwich said:
Ok thanks.

I might try my 400W PS but I really don't think it will work.

I if not I might go for this Super Flower 550W since its only €4 more expensive than the 450W.

Does anyone know how much P&P is from that hardwareversand site? I cant seem to find it in English.


Not all Super Flower models are the same. The one you linked there is a very dodgy PSU. You want to be picking the Super Flower Amazon models:

http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30069&agid=1628
http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=30074&agid=1627

hamhamwich Registered User
#34

Ok thanks for the advice guys. I'm a bit of a noob at this stuff even though I am studying the A+.

€30 P&P is a bit out of my price range anyhow.

There is this 650W PS on pixmania for just €31. Do ye think it would be ok? There must be a reason it is so cheap right?

dkmedia Registered User
#35

hamhamwich said:
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I'm a bit of a noob at this stuff even though I am studying the A+.

€30 P&P is a bit out of my price range anyhow.

There is this 650W PS on pixmania for just €31. Do ye think it would be ok? There must be a reason it is so cheap right?


Dont go near the cheaper psu's

Heres a good one for 59,90euro

Heres a review of it

Deano12345 Registered User
#36

Tea_Bag said:
P&P is a flat rate of €30 no matter how large the order is, so you might have to look elsewhere.

dont get the Corsair CX430W, as i believe its a terrible PSU.


Where'd you see that about the CX430 ? From what I've seen of it in reviews (JG is the one the I remember best) Its a solid little unit

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=214

Tea_Bag Registered User
#37

Deano12345 said:
Where'd you see that about the CX430 ? From what I've seen of it in reviews (JG is the one the I remember best) Its a solid little unit

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=214

i stand corrected. it must be another 430W PSU im thinking of sorry.

dkmedia Registered User
#38

The HD 5850 is now €113.90

Still a bargain though

Moon54 Registered User
#39

dkmedia said:
The HD 5850 is now €113.90

Still a bargain though


Yeah, I just saw a 5850 in PC World, Limerick for €309 !

dkmedia Registered User
#40

The price has again increased, now it costs 119,90 euro, must be selling well then

#41

Got one of these for 113.90 off Pix!

Really smooth gaming at 1920 x 1080. Delighted....great value!

cinnamono Registered User
#42

Cheeky of them. I got mine before this increase. Still waiting on other components though.

Incidentally, I still have this from around 3 years ago, t'was very expensive at the time:

336401 OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS,
600W, 120mm Fan, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin

No power inputs or the like have been added since then have they? This rig is a 5850 and an X4 Phenom. 1 HD, 4 gb RAM...

Just wanted to make sure she's still ok to use?

Previously I had a Socket 775 Core 2 Quad 6600 and a pretty hefty 8800. Top of the line at the time.

I'd rather not buy a new PSU!

EDIT: It also got fantastic reviews back then.

dkmedia Registered User
#43

cinnamono said:
Cheeky of them. I got mine before this increase. Still waiting on other components though.

Incidentally, I still have this from around 3 years ago, t'was very expensive at the time:

336401 OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS,
600W, 120mm Fan, 4/8pin CPU, 20/24pin

No power inputs or the like have been added since then have they? This rig is a 5850 and an X4 Phenom. 1 HD, 4 gb RAM...

Just wanted to make sure she's still ok to use?

Previously I had a Socket 775 Core 2 Quad 6600 and a pretty hefty 8800. Top of the line at the time.

I'd rather not buy a new PSU!

EDIT: It also got fantastic reviews back then.


ahh the good old 8800 , I had an e6600 & 8800gt back then.
That psu will be more than enough, an overclocked i7 with the hd 5850 takes 319 watts in this review.

tosh_2006 Registered User
#44

i have a hd 5850 and i want to crossfire can i use any 5850 to do it

Deano12345 Registered User
#45

tosh_2006 said:
i have a hd 5850 and i want to crossfire can i use any 5850 to do it


Emailed Sapphire about this as a load of people were wondering about it and yes, any 5850 will work with any other 5850

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!