sibergoth Registered User
#1

hi,

eircom installed DSL in my exchange last August... after about 8 years of me asking !!

they could only offer me 2.55Mb/s
so they would only give me 30GB per month!

so i moved to Vodafone who let me choose how much data i want.. much better

so - a while ago eircom called me to see if i wanted to go back to them !! i said give me NGB and we'll talk.. they checked and said that my exchange was planned for November 2011...

i am HIGHLY skeptical of that !!! and i don't see any mention of it on the eircom web site map..


i wonder if anyone has any data on NGB plans that aren't advertised??

i'm actually just about ok on the speed i have currently, but its one of those 'would be nice' things .... 8Mb would be better !

#2

sibergoth said:
hi,

eircom installed DSL in my exchange last August... after about 8 years of me asking !!

they could only offer me 2.55Mb/s
so they would only give me 30GB per month!

so i moved to Vodafone who let me choose how much data i want.. much better

so - a while ago eircom called me to see if i wanted to go back to them !! i said give me NGB and we'll talk.. they checked and said that my exchange was planned for November 2011...

i am HIGHLY skeptical of that !!! and i don't see any mention of it on the eircom web site map..


i wonder if anyone has any data on NGB plans that aren't advertised??

i'm actually just about ok on the speed i have currently, but its one of those 'would be nice' things .... 8Mb would be better !



Hi sibergoth,

Can you PM me with your full address and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark

#3

sibergoth said:
hi,

eircom installed DSL in my exchange last August... after about 8 years of me asking !!

they could only offer me 2.55Mb/s
so they would only give me 30GB per month!

so i moved to Vodafone who let me choose how much data i want.. much better

so - a while ago eircom called me to see if i wanted to go back to them !! i said give me NGB and we'll talk.. they checked and said that my exchange was planned for November 2011...

i am HIGHLY skeptical of that !!! and i don't see any mention of it on the eircom web site map..


i wonder if anyone has any data on NGB plans that aren't advertised??

i'm actually just about ok on the speed i have currently, but its one of those 'would be nice' things .... 8Mb would be better !



Hi sibergoth,

Thanks for sending on your details, I checked with our NGB rollout team and there is no indication date as yet for the Kilmihil exchange in Clare to be enabled.

I apologise for the misinformation given by the agent.

However if you have any queries in the futuere feel free to contact us directly.

Thanks, Mark

ads20101 Registered User
#4

eircom: Mark said:
Hi sibergoth,

Can you PM me with your full address and I can look into that for you.

Thanks, Mark



I know this is an old thread, but I was going to ask the same question about the kilmihil exchange. I just wanted to re-emphasise to the eircom chap that there is most definitely a market here and a date for upgrade - even if it's a year away would be helpful.

sibergoth Registered User
#5

eircom rang me a couple of days ago begging that i come back to them.. they do this every three months or so... i said the same old story, Vodafone do a better deal for me.. you can't offer me unlimited data on the package i can get..

she said - oh, we can do that on NGB... i said, I CAN'T GET NGB HERE!!!!

I was told that eircom plan to upgrade EVERY exchange in Ireland by the end of next year... I guess this means that by 2013 Kilmihil might get NGB...

*sigh*

anyway, didn't know anyone else in Kilmihil knew what a computer was
how's it going??

Sponge Bob Banned
#6

sibergoth said:

I was told that eircom plan to upgrade EVERY exchange in Ireland by the end of next year... I guess this means that by 2013 Kilmihil might get NGB...

You were told this by a salesperson.

Eircom has 1200 exchanges or so. They plan to NG(some new tech) around 250 of the 1200. It has taken them 2 years to get to 200...do you reckon they can get 1000 done in a year ???

The last large program was when they said they would put basic DSL in 330 exchanges in April 2007. They still haven't finished that program and won't say when or why almost 5 years later.

sibergoth Registered User
#7

yeah, i guess the sarcasm didn't come across

I already have faster access via my iPhone here as this is a NBS area.. 6Mb down and up to 4Mb up sometimes on three.ie

still, I would say that if there was any justice in the world (!) then the rural areas would go NGB first, since towns and cities already have many other fast net options.....

ads20101 Registered User
#8

sibergoth said:
yeah, i guess the sarcasm didn't come across

I already have faster access via my iPhone here as this is a NBS area.. 6Mb down and up to 4Mb up sometimes on three.ie

still, I would say that if there was any justice in the world (!) then the rural areas would go NGB first, since towns and cities already have many other fast net options.....


I was with nbs on three for a while and although the speeds were good at times, it was just too unpredictable. Moved over to Vodafone landline broadband and getting a (very) consistant 2.55 with a low ping. As for my iPhone I sometimes get 3 and a bit but never as much as 4 down, never mind up. I use that data for Internet radio especially when I'm getting close to my 40gb limit on Vodafone. I'd never survive on eircom caps.

sibergoth Registered User
#9

that is extremely interesting..

i also get a solid 2.55Mbps on Vodafone.. they told me my line can't support more.. even though i am only one mile from the exchange !

i've had the DSL for about 18 months now and it's always 2.55Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up, 24/7

the story was that NGB would give better speeds... i asked - well, if my line can only cope with 2.55Mbps now, how is NGB going to give me higher speed ?? will the copper be upgraded?? They said that NGB will still give higher speeds over the same copper...

I'm skeptical...

anyway, the 40GB limit was a joke for me too, so what i did was add on 30GB chunks for €3.99 each every month.. it was costing me about €20 a month extra every month.. a few weeks ago Vodafone rang me out of the blue and offered me a preferential deal. 300GB allowance for only €4 more than the base package ! so now i pay €49 a month and get 300GB..

happy out. dunno if this will help you?
are you in the village or out in the sticks??


i find it strangely coincidental that we both get exactly 2.55Mbps !!!

sibergoth Registered User
#10

ads20101 Registered User
#11

sibergoth said:
that is extremely interesting..

i also get a solid 2.55Mbps on Vodafone.. they told me my line can't support more.. even though i am only one mile from the exchange !

i've had the DSL for about 18 months now and it's always 2.55Mbps down and 0.3Mbps up, 24/7

the story was that NGB would give better speeds... i asked - well, if my line can only cope with 2.55Mbps now, how is NGB going to give me higher speed ?? will the copper be upgraded?? They said that NGB will still give higher speeds over the same copper...

I'm skeptical...

anyway, the 40GB limit was a joke for me too, so what i did was add on 30GB chunks for €3.99 each every month.. it was costing me about €20 a month extra every month.. a few weeks ago Vodafone rang me out of the blue and offered me a preferential deal. 300GB allowance for only €4 more than the base package ! so now i pay €49 a month and get 300GB..

happy out. dunno if this will help you?
are you in the village or out in the sticks??


i find it strangely coincidental that we both get exactly 2.55Mbps !!!


You know I hate to say this but I reckon they're right. The copper wire that we get coming into our houses should be able to take 8Mbps + if the exchange is upgraded and youre not too far from it. As for me I live within 1/2 mile of the exchange. Just doing the waiting game now.

Sponge Bob Banned
#12

There will be no any generation anything upgrades in Kilmihil!

No fibre , LOOK!

yomamasflavour Registered User
#13

ads20101 said:
You know I hate to say this but I reckon they're right. The copper wire that we get coming into our houses should be able to take 8Mbps + if the exchange is upgraded and youre not too far from it. As for me I live within 1/2 mile of the exchange. Just doing the waiting game now.


Speeds are dependent on line quality, length etc.
NGB 'upgrade' won't (nor could it) make any difference.

Also Eircom don't impose any caps on the standard ADSL.
Vodafone however impose a €1 per GB charge for going over your allowance.

adsl20101 what are your line stats?
How do you know you live within a 1/2 mile?

1 person has thanked this post
ads20101 Registered User
#14

Sponge Bob said:
There will be no any generation anything upgrades in Kilmihil!

No fibre , LOOK!


looks a bit worrying.

ads20101 Registered User
#15

yomamasflavour said:
Speeds are dependent on line quality, length etc.
NGB 'upgrade' won't (nor could it) make any difference.



Granted - I wouldn't despute that, only that I reckon that our connections shouldn't be that bad and an improvement in speed should be poss once the exchange is upgraded.

As for knowing that I am 1/2 mile from the exchange - well, thats simple enough, I know where the exchange is (unless you know something I don't)

As for being charged for going over cap. Are you sure that eircom don't charge? - I thought that was for only certain pakages. As for voda - I can see quite clearly whenI am getting close to the 40gb cap - and they can add 30gb for €4. I'm all for a bit of competition so I'd go back to eircom if they give me a better deal.

I will pop up a speed test later. I am using a fair bit of bandwidth at the mo.

On a +ve note it does appear that there is a bit of interest in the village so we really should keep up the pressure on eircom. It's nice to know I'm not alone.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!