jonsnow Registered User
#31

As my name might indicate I,m a GOT fan and have been since 99.Simply the greatest fantasy novels ever written and amongst the greatest fiction ever written.I despair of it ever been completed however although i understand that George r martin is not my witch.

I,d watched the 14 minute preview twice already and enjoyed them.For a fanatic like me it is clear that the series will be quite different from the books.Already characters, events and the script has been changed but I like that because I will have two different experiences of the story.

The first episode is solid with some gorgeous visuals and great acting.Most of the actors nail their characters.I had a few minor gripes.The feast scene at the wedding looked kinda crappy like their was only 30 extras.It looked like a xena episode not a raucous gathering of 40000 warriors.Why did the other leave the black bother live.Winterfell did not look as impressive as I would have imagined it could.But I,m nit picking.It was still very enjoyable especially as I was watching it with my brother who was completely shocked at the ending.Roll on next week.

#32

jonsnow said:
As my name might indicate I,m a GOT fan and have been since 99.Simply the greatest fantasy novels ever written and amongst the greatest fiction ever written.I despair of it ever been completed however although i understand that George r martin is not my witch.

I,d watched the 14 minute preview twice already and enjoyed them.For a fanatic like me it is clear that the series will be quite different from the books.Already characters, events and the script has been changed but I like that because I will have two different experiences of the story.

The first episode is solid with some gorgeous visuals and great acting.Most of the actors nail their characters.I had a few minor gripes.The feast scene at the wedding looked kinda crappy like their was only 30 extras.It looked like a xena episode not a raucous gathering of 40000 warriors.Why did the other leave the black bother live.Winterfell did not look as impressive as I would have imagined it could.But I,m nit picking.It was still very enjoyable especially as I was watching it with my brother who was completely shocked at the ending.Roll on next week.


The books have been on my to do list for a while, are they as "adult" as the show , I don't mean the sex etc but over all ?

From the start of the show I was constantly reminded of the elder scrolls

p1000 Registered User
#33

Enjoyed it. Lookin forward to more.

Orizio Registered User
#34

expectationlost said:
premise: the borgais and game of thrones are telling the same story

the second faster and more explicit then the first



I haven't see The Borgias but this is quite a perceptive post - the world of the Borgias seems like a very big inspiration Martin's books, far more so then LOTR.

1 person has thanked this post
Orizio Registered User
#35

calex71 said:
The books have been on my to do list for a while, are they as "adult" as the show , I don't mean the sex etc but over all ?

From the start of the show I was constantly reminded of the elder scrolls


Yes, probably more so.

1 person has thanked this post
merlie Registered User
#36

I watched the first episode of GOT and although there were some good scenes, overall I generally thought it was ok. I was a bit disappointed by it there were not many actions scenes. The opening was great and then it seemed to dissipate some. I will continue to follow the series and see if it gets any better or slips into a darkened mire!

I have watched The Tudors, The Borgias and The Pillars of the Earth. I wasn't interested in Spartacus as Gladiators and that time line don't really interest me. But having said that, I will say that the best series I have watched so far is The Tudors. IMO.

JohnK Subscriber
#37

merlie said:
I watched the first episode of GOT and although there were some good scenes, overall I generally thought it was ok.


I have to say that was my overall impression too, that it was only ok but nothing special. Being perfectly honest there was nothing I saw in the first episode that has me looking forward to the next one.

1 person has thanked this post
pixelburp Moderator
#38

I have to say, having just finished Season 1 of Rome, if people are deeply troubled by the nudity of GoT, they'd be in for a shock at the brazen amount of nudity in HBO's previous epic. I haven't seen that many wangs since ... uhhh, never mind.

In any case, I think people are too precious about these things. It's just breasts.

1 person has thanked this post
rocky Registered User
#39

Not too sure about the first episode.

It looks like it has a big budget, but the acting lets it down IMO. I expected more... enthusiasm, more intensity. It felt like they were reading lines in a script.

Also... Why is Arya called Aia? Or did I not hear properly?

Looking forward to next week's installment anyway

Skerries Registered User
#40

did Sky cut any of it like they did with Spartacus and Deadwood?

Jelle1880 Registered User
#41

rocky said:
Not too sure about the first episode.

It looks like it has a big budget, but the acting lets it down IMO. I expected more... enthusiasm, more intensity. It felt like they were reading lines in a script.

Also... Why is Arya called Aia? Or did I not hear properly?

Looking forward to next week's installment anyway


Pronounciation I think, she's still called Arya.

I thought the acting was spot on.

#42

Lirange said:
I wasn't that impressed with the first episode. The best bits were the opening credits and any scene involving Tyrion the Dwarf. I did like the House of Stark and how the characters of the family were cast. However the same can't be said for the inbreeding Lannisters. Lots of T&A but bordering on gratuitous in a few places.

Bran and Arya are great. Although apart from just being a dim little plank Sansa was annoying. Sean Bean was solid as Eddard as was the actor that plays Snow. Joffrey and Sansa, a decidedly hive inducing pairing for many reasons. Joffrey is inbred what's her excuse? Headey is a listless monotone actress. She was always the primary weak point of TSCC where she was even out acted by Shirley Manson playing a robot.

Meanwhile over at Penthouse er Pentos we have scenes that were totally at odds in terms of feel and film making from the rest apart from the obligatory T&A. The scenes with Viserys, Daenerys, and Drogo seemed like they were from a cheap Vaudeville set. Drogo was like a wannabe Genghis Khan early Hollywood exploitation character. I thought these scenes were ridiculous. Although admittedly "there is no word in Dothraki for thank you" was good for a laugh. The giant colourful avocados were supposed to be petrified Dragon Eggs? There was a bizarre shift in tonality back in Winterfell like the show was trying to be semi serious again. I know this is a fantasy tale but they really could've done better here. But admittedly Viserys as the brother pimp was glorious in his pantomime villainry. Like a more effete version of Julian Sands only more annoying. It's good to have the bad people be annoying as well as evil that way we don't feel conflicted.

The absolute moral of the story is that people with bad overbleached dye jobs are evil. I think it's racist against blonde people! Wait blonde people aren't a race. Nevermind. But notice they hate blondes so much they won't even pay real ones to play them.


Best review out of everyones...well done Lirange!

#43

I liked it a lot. Lena Headey did fine as Cersei, she's not much of an actress but she can do that cold emotionless thing fairly well, like Arnie is best when he's playing a robot

The opening credits are fantastic imo, gorgeous music and the clockwork/board theme works really well.

irish_stevo815 Registered User
#44

Finally I have something worth watching on telly other than Fringe, which is coming ot the Season finale pretty soon.

I really enjoyed the first episode and it felt like i was watching a movie rather than a TV show. It really seemed to set up the different aspects of the story. I havent read the books so I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
I LMFAO'd at the "imp" getting blown by the escort. Quiet a bit of sex/nude scenes in it, but they don't just seem to be thrown in for the sake of a bit of boob, it all ties in with the story telling. On a side note, that Lena Heady one certainly can take it

Lookin forward to next week!

2 people have thanked this post
#45

My main problem with it was that I think it should have aired as a double episode to start off with. Would have allowed them to establish far more.

2 people have thanked this post

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!