mcmurphy995 Registered User

Hello folks heading to barcelona in a few weeks and driving around northern spain , so need to hire a car for the driving bit but dont have a credit card .
Anybody have any experience or advise on this situation ???

biko Arbiter

Galway -> Travel Motors

You won't be able to.

Still the wrong forum. Should be in travel.

dr.fuzzenstein Registered User

Sometimes you are able to rent with a Visa Debit, which functions like a Laser, but unlike a Laser is actually useful abroad and online.
But they will block a deposit, so half your account could be frozen.
I do keep a credit card just for car rental abroad, but got such a lousy limit, there's not enough available to rent one in the first place.

1 person has thanked this post
biko Arbiter

Yeah if you have a card like Visa Debit that should work no bother.
If you can pay up front on-line or similar you can have someone here at home pay for it and you give them cash.
NB the company may take a massive deposit.

Our man in Havana said:
Still the wrong forum. Should be in travel.

Aye, you're right.

CiniO Registered User

I have a Mastercard debit card, and so far had no problems using it for renting cars.

RachaelVO Registered User

mcmurphy995 said:
Hello folks heading to barcelona in a few weeks and driving around northern spain , so need to hire a car for the driving bit but dont have a credit card .
Anybody have any experience or advise on this situation ???

Some places in heavily touristy areas do cash rentals, but mostly they don't. Use your debit card and pay the extra insurance, they shouldn't pre approve any amount then, and it's not that expensive, usually about 5e a day, as opposed to Ireland which is about 17e a day!

mcmurphy995 Registered User

Thanks for all the advise , but i was told that we dont do debit cards in Ireland and that our laser cards are only good here and for ATM withdrawls in other countries but no good for actual purchases !!

where do i get a card from ???

OSI Moderator

mcmurphy995 said:
Thanks for all the advise , but i was told that we dont do debit cards in Ireland and that our laser cards are only good here and for ATM withdrawls in other countries but no good for actual purchases !!

where do i get a card from ???

Any bank that's not Bank of Ireland.

biko Arbiter

PTSB went from Laser debit cards to Visa debit cards, that way you can use the debit card worldwide because it's a Visa.

ostrich Registered User

OSI said:
Any bank that's not Bank of Ireland.

dr.fuzzenstein Registered User

Ulster Bank

2 people have thanked this post
jcon1913 Registered User

dr.fuzzenstein said:
Sometimes you are able to rent with a Visa Debit, which functions like a Laser, but unlike a Laser is actually useful abroad and online.
But they will block a deposit, so half your account could be frozen.
I do keep a credit card just for car rental abroad, but got such a lousy limit, there's not enough available to rent one in the first place.

Sorry to revive this old thread but I am due to hire a car in Girona airport and like other posters here I only have an AIB Visa Debit Card - it this okay for car hire as long as I have the funds to pay for the car hire?

Sully Moderator

jcon1913 said:
Sorry to revive this old thread but I am due to hire a car in Girona airport and like other posters here I only have an AIB Visa Debit Card - it this okay for car hire as long as I have the funds to pay for the car hire?

You need to check with the rental company. Not all take Debit cards.

1 person has thanked this post
jcon1913 Registered User

Sully said:
You need to check with the rental company. Not all take Debit cards.

Thanks Sully

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!