napapa Registered User

Hi,
Considering buying opel astra 07 sxi 1.4, they are chain driven but when should they be replaced/tightened? I hear lots of threads saying when ever they rattle or lose tension but need some more concrete answers.
Cheers

Vicxas Registered User

Afaik timing chains only need replacing when they're causing trouble.

1 person has thanked this post
grudgebringer Registered User

My knowledge of this is that generally a timing chain will be pretty good for up to about 200,000 miles, after that it should be inspected by a mechanic to verify it's tension and check for signs of excessive wear. Best to just check with your mechanic though, they'll give you the correct intervals for your particular car.

rob180 Registered User

Sorry for hi jacking ur post op, i've an 08 Astra OPC and it's done 86k, does it too uses a timing chain? Thanks

napapa said:
Hi,
Considering buying opel astra 07 sxi 1.4, they are chain driven but when should they be replaced/tightened? I hear lots of threads saying when ever they rattle or lose tension but need some more concrete answers.
Cheers

Chain tensioners operate on oil pressure. There is no periodic check/adjustment required. Issues can arise with tensioners if the wrong oil is used or the car has very high mileage but unless the chain is excessivly noisy then it doesn't need attention.

@rob180. The OPC astra uses a belt and its due @120,000kms or 8 years.

2 people have thanked this post

sorry for stirring up the thread again, but would anyone know what is the best oil to use in a 1.4 06 astra? and how often to change it?

pateen said:
sorry for stirring up the thread again, but would anyone know what is the best oil to use in a 1.4 06 astra? and how often to change it?

A fully synthetic 5w30 is best in those and the oil should be changed every 15,000kms at most.

Lucifer Moderator

The correct service interval is 30,000km or 1 year.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!