magneticimpulse Registered User

Finglas East is grand. The house's are older and built of solid material, not like the paper thin shoe boxes which went up around the Docklands/newer developments. The gardens are huge as well. Perfect for summer BBQ's and a sip of Pimm's. Not sure if I would recommend buying there, but it is a fine place to rent. Ballygall Road East to West is fine. However it could be good to buy as if you decided to leave the area....you could easily rent out to students who attend DCU which is just down the road and you will always have a market for students if you ever decide to rent out the house. Its really handy getting in and out of town. Less then 10 minutes. Taxi is cheap on a night out getting home. Airport is close, Phoenix park etc. I often cycle to the Phoenix Park on a summers evening, or go for a jog there. People are actually sound...nobody is up themselves or stuck up. You get some Genuine people living there. People which never got caught up in the Celtic Tiger. Ive been to the Finglas Gym/Swimming pool a few times and you actually dont meet Irish people there.

Most likely its other nationalities, so an opportunity to expand knowledge of other European cultures etc. They move there because they dont know the reputation Finglas has and they are attracted to the cheaper rent. My mam works with a playschool and none of the mothers are Irish, they are American, Indian, Russian, Danish, Eastern European. They all married Irish men and moved to Finglas, not complaining because to them its Dublin, Ireland and they have no idea what Irish people think of Finglas. She loves it, as every week she meets a new mother from outside of Ireland and there is always lots to talk about. They are all really friendly and open because they are in a new country.

Thou in saying that, I have heard the standard in the local schools has decreased, because the non English speaking students are bringing down the English speaking ones. Again another reason why I would not like to buy there, because you really want your children to be successful in education right? I think it was ok for my generation to get by. But we struggled in school when we all had English as a 1st language with the level of teaching. I would worry about the schools, should you ever decide to have children. The schools have never been updated since my Grandfathers time. There was alot of bullying in my generation and I figure it is most likely worse now with foreign kids/different race etc. It is the type of area, where if you are not a kid equipped to deal with bullys, you will have it bad. I know that could be said about any place, but Finglas bully's are prob more scary then other bullys in other schools around Dublin. In saying that, as a good it builds a good character to overcome people like that. Its just do you take that risk with children and hope for the best?

Nearby hospital is also not great. Should you ever need to go to the Matter A&E, its really poorly serviced. I have to agree hospitals and schools are better on the Southside of Dublin. Also it is not disability friendly, the village itself...for instance going to the library is not suitable for elderly or children due to all the steps.

Sure the area has been neglected far too long in terms of the village and is really ugly, especially if you have visitors from other countries coming and they imagine Ireland as a green beautiful country. Its quite an eye sore. It was overlooked because of Charlestown, and IKEA nearby. Other then that its fine. Its also been neglected because its so close to the city centre and has had poor representation by politicians.

As for drugs, crime etc, never had any of experience there. Family live and come from there, lived there all my life. Never been robbed etc. All my friends from school went on to do Masters/PhD's in University (Harvard and Cambridge...even Tallaght friends did same) and have high flying jobs in Dublin 4, Diplomats, Lawyers, Doctors, NASA etc. My Finglas friends are really driven of all the people I ever met in life. They make the most of life and have been really successful. Still get people asking us where we are from...we say Finglas. They reply: but you dont have a Finglas accent. You dont look like your from Finglas, you look respectable!!! Really is that so? I pretty much dont get on with other Dublin people, because they reply with such snobby remarks, despite the fact ive lived in California, Cornwall, Cambridge and Bordeaux the past 10 years making a successful career.

People would actually want to "know" what they are talking about. Majority of people here just quote what they have heard on the News. They have not actually lived in the area.

Sure theres many area's which would be better to live in Dublin, or which have a nicer reputation. However the people could be rude, you could just as easily be mugged. What about the likes of Lesson st...or these "wealthy" people taking cocaine? (of course anybody can take cocaine). You could just as easily live in "upper" Dublin and know more drug users taking Cocaine (whatever drug)...as oppose to people in Finglas who want to make the most of life. So talking about drugs being confined to Finglas is rubbish. You are just as likely to find drug use all over Dublin.

I mean if you were going to mug someone, would you do it in a wealthy or poor area? Surely there is more robbings in wealthy area's? You would be a very stupid robber if you stole from an average person/house in Finglas? It would make more sense to rip off a wealthy house in D4. If you were going to be doing business in drug dealing etc, im sure your going to have a head on your shoulders and be fairly wealthy person as a result, making alot of money, living in a swanky house which is in "upper class" Dublin. Oh the irony.

Bhoywunder said:
Thanks for the feedback.

Pretty much the response that i get from others when I mentioned Finglas, some saying its terrible and others saying it's grand!

The "finglas is terrible" brigade generally dont live or are even capable of pointing Finglas out on a map of Dublin.

People who have actually been to Finglas or who live here will give you a more balanced viewpoint. Finglas is one of the best placed areas in Dublin, close to town, m50, phoneix park etc. well serviced by buses / taxis. It has a number of gyms, supermarkets, sports clubs and basically all that you would find in any area, although I find Finglas even more convenient than most.

Just use your head, the main problem in Finglas is contained to inside a few housing estates. You wouldn't even pass them unless you specifically went in to visit someone there. After you've looked at a few places feel free to send a pm to me, or to one of the other finglas posters if they're ok with that and we can advise you of the pro's and con's of each particular estate / area.

Look at what Finglas has to offer, look at the community and the people who live here, then look at the price of houses here compared to more "desirable" parts of the city, then sit back smile and be thankful for snobbery making living in Finglas so affordable.

1 person has thanked this post
Falconhoof Banned

clown bag said:

Look at what Finglas has to offer, look at the community and the people who live here, then look at the price of houses here compared to more "desirable" parts of the city, then sit back smile and be thankful for snobbery making living in Finglas so affordable.

Cheap fuel at the tesco there as well if you can live with the double murders.

Falconhoof said:
Cheap fuel at the tesco there as well if you can live with the double murders.

Well if statistics are to go by, then thats the murders for this year allocated to Finglas...and statistically you chances of being murder elsewhere in Dublin are just as high. Bit like winning the lotto. Thou I think you would have more chances winning the lotto then being murdered in Finglas.

Falconhoof Banned

magneticimpulse said:
Well if statistics are to go by, then thats the murders for this year allocated to Finglas...and statistically you chances of being murder elsewhere in Dublin are just as high. Bit like winning the lotto. Thou I think you would have more chances winning the lotto then being murdered in Finglas.

Actually no, Finglas is right up there as far as murders go. Trust me on this one.

Who wants to be neighbours with a serial killing hitman. Well that is if he was alive.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/daniel-gaynor-life-and-death-of-a-gun-for-hire-2301599.html

Falconhoof said:
Actually no, Finglas is right up there as far as murders go. Trust me on this one.

Still more chances of winning the lotto. Ive not been murdered in Finglas and i spent alot of time there...you saying im going to be murdered? Something I dont know about?

Falconhoof Banned

magneticimpulse said:
Still more chances of winning the lotto. Ive not been murdered in Finglas and i spent alot of time there...you saying im going to be murdered? Something I dont know about?

3 murders in the past 12 months out of a population of a populatoin of 32,000. So that is a 1/10000 chance of being murdered last year. Great odds.

Hannibal Registered User

Finglas is alright its a nice settled area.. areas to avoid are Berryfield, Cloonlara, Kippure, Deanstown/Cappagh Rd and Barry area but its a very small minority in these areas less than 1%.
The people who have been murdered were linked to the drugs trade so if you're not in this business you've nothing to worry about. The east is a nice area with big semi detached houses up around Cedarwood, Glasnevin Ave, Pinewood etc..

Hannibal Registered User

Falconhoof said:
3 murders in the past 12 months out of a population of a populatoin of 32,000. So that is a 1/10000 chance of being murdered last year. Great odds.

Two of them people murdered weren't from Finglas so can't be included in the population, and the car involved was spotted up in Warrenpoint so its highly unlikely that the assassins were from Finglas.

Falconhoof Banned

Dotsey said:
Finglas is alright its a nice settled area.. areas to avoid are Berryfield, Cloonlara, Kippure, Deanstown/Cappagh Rd and Barry area but its a very small minority in these areas less than 1%.
The people who have been murdered were linked to the drugs trade so if you're not in this business you've nothing to worry about. The east is a nice area with big semi detached houses up around Cedarwood, Glasnevin Ave, Pinewood etc..

I've been hearing this for decades at this stage. "a few bad eggs" etc. Lets just call a spade a spade. Its a deprived area full of crime and poverty.

Falconhoof said:
I've been hearing this for decades at this stage. "a few bad eggs" etc. Lets just call a spade a spade. Its a deprived area full of crime and poverty.

Sure and Im one of them, who just happens to live at a Chateau and Vineyard...I certainly didnt make my millions in crime and Im certainly not deprived.

What about you? What wonderful area do you live in? Are you sipping on a glass of Pessac-Leognan as we speak as well?

Hannibal Registered User

Falconhoof said:

Its not full of crime and poverty, yes parts of south Finglas are deprived but its by no means full of it.
What part of Dublin are you in?

Zamboni Registered User

Falconhoof said:

You clearly haven't a clue about the area.
Serious crime, shootings etc occurs (for the most part) in Finglas South, West and Dunsink/back roads to Blanchardstown.
A shooting anywhere east of Finglas Village would be an extremely rare occurance.

It would be like saying Dublin is a kip because lots of shootings happen in Tallaght.

Hannibal Registered User

Zamboni said:
You clearly haven't a clue about the area.
Serious crime, shootings etc occurs (for the most part) in Finglas South, West and Dunsink/back roads to Blanchardstown.
A shooting anywhere east of Finglas Village would be an extremely rare occurance.

It would be like saying Dublin is a kip because lots of shootings happen in Tallaght.

I remember once visiting the Fingal House pub in Finglas East/Glasnevin Avenue about 2 years ago and without exaggerating 90% of the pub were on drugs. Went the toilet and one of the doormen was coming out of a cubicle with one of the guys that was hopping around with his top off.
The Finglas West area isn't as bad or anywhere near Finglas South and Finglas East is no different.

I could also say that Blanchardstown, Ballymun, Coolock, Crumlin, Drimnagh, Ballyfermot, Clondalkin, Tallaght are as bad if not worse than Finglas but it's nearly all of Dublin then that has the problem. If you're not from an area you look at it on your high horse and say I wouldn't want to live there but it's not a problem with Finglas in relation to isolated incidents, it's a general Dublin wide problem and a social inbalance.

chicken fingers Registered User

magneticimpulse said:
All my friends from school went on to do Masters/PhD's in University (Harvard and Cambridge...even Tallaght friends did same) and have high flying jobs in Dublin 4, Diplomats, Lawyers, Doctors, NASA etc.

And how about you?

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!