Arcus Arrow Registered User

Another little bit of hypocrisy from the folks organising the "World" Atheist Convention.
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=192538870782352&sfrm

As soon as a post popped up questioning how it was organised they deleted it. This is from the same crowd who claimed to be against the blasphemy law on the basis of freedom of speech.

See Comment

Whoops!

This content is currently unavailable

Mena Registered User

I'm struggling to find my care face... A comment was deleted from some FB page? Who cares?

Or is there some back story I am missing?

1 person has thanked this post
Dades Would you like to know more?

Arcus Arrow, your complaint, without details or context is pointless.

Unless there's more information provided or something else useful I'd be inclined to close this thread.
There it is.

Mena said:
I'm struggling to find my care face... A comment was deleted from some FB page? Who cares?

Or is there some back story I am missing?

Well it's of some interest though hardly world shattering. It does have implications. You have an organisation supposedly campaigning for an "ethical" society engaging in the same type of censorship they claimed to be against. For people thinking of spending €100 for a ticket plus expenses it means being prevented from hearing any opinion or criticism they might want to consider. It's also indicative of how atheists, when organised, can take on all the affectations of organised religion (or at least in Ireland in this case).

Dades said:

Unless there's more information provided or something else useful I'd be inclined to close this thread.
There it is.

The comment deleted asked whether attending would lead to anyone hearing anything new that they couldn't get on YouTube for free. It also asked how many tickets have been sold. Naturally since they censored the comment it's hardly possible to provide a link to it. That's how censorship works.

Zillah Registered User

Censorship is when a government uses its power to restrict freedom of speech. A private organisation has no obligation to publish opinions on a page advertising their event.

Zillah said:
Censorship is when a government uses its power to restrict freedom of speech. A private organisation has no obligation to publish opinions on a page advertising their event.

So is an organisation claiming to be campaigning for freedom of speech and a more ethical society being hypocritical when it engages in censorship itself?

5uspect Moderator

If the mods, praise be upon them, locked or sent this thread to the recycle bin would that be censorship?

Tomk1 Registered User

Yes there is a backstory going way way way way way wayyyy back to the formation of the group, for some unknown reason and nearly 3 years he continues to carry his own personal vendetta. Pity.

robindch Moderator

5uspect said:
If the mods, praise be upon them, locked or sent this thread to the recycle bin would that be censorship?
More a mercy...

2 people have thanked this post
Pushtrak Registered User

Dades said:

There it is.

Sh! You'll have to delete the thread. The Conspiracy demands it!

Dades Would you like to know more?

Arcus Arrow said:
The comment deleted asked whether attending would lead to anyone hearing anything new that they couldn't get on YouTube for free...
They deleted your snarky comment and you cry censorship?

Facebook is not a discussion forum - why would they leave it there?

MagicMarker Banned

Arcus Arrow said:
The comment deleted asked whether attending would lead to anyone hearing anything new that they couldn't get on YouTube for free. It also asked how many tickets have been sold. Naturally since they censored the comment it's hardly possible to provide a link to it. That's how censorship works.

So basically some gobshíte was trolling their facebook page and had a comment deleted.

What makes you think we give a shít?

2 people have thanked this post

Arcus Arrow said:

As soon as a post popped up questioning how it was organised they deleted it.

Define "questioning how it was organised"

Do you mean something like this

Hey, great conference, I was wondering if you could give me the email for the organizer as I have a question about the time and venue

or do you mean something like this

This is a terrible conference, I mean O’Callaghan Alexander Hotel, that is a ****ing stupid place to have this conference, I live in Cork as do all my friends and typical stupid Atheist Ireland have to have it in Dublin, what a shower of bastards

There seems to be plenty of people asking questions about the event, such as asking how the ticket system works, and what day each speaker is present, so I'm guessing the "questions" you are referring to were more the second variety than the first variety....

Zillah Registered User

Arcus Arrow said:
So is an organisation claiming to be campaigning for freedom of speech and a more ethical society being hypocritical when it engages in censorship itself?

As I've already said, they have no obligation to publish everything that you feel like saying on their conference advertisement. It is not censorship to delete a post on boards, tell someone to shut up about secularism as a funeral, or to pick and choose articles for one's magazine.

You can say what you like, they don't have to publish it for you.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!