sparkman Registered User
#1

I was lucky enough to have my name drawn for an allotment near thomond park. Only 35 available. I think about 160 people (maybe more) applied. Problem is, Limerick city coucil are charging 200 euro per year for it and it's only 7m x 1.5m.
I'm pretty sure my brother in law gets his one in London for about 20 quid a year and it's nearly half an acre.
Reckon I'd have to grow a lot of exotic veg to get my money's worth...
I'm inclined to tell them I'm not interested so that someone else who's willing to pay that kind of extortion can have my plot & have a chance to grow a few spuds.
Thoughts anyone?

TestTransmission Registered User
#2

sparkman said:
I was lucky enough to have my name drawn for an allotment near thomond park. Only 35 available. I think about 160 people (maybe more) applied. Problem is, Limerick city coucil are charging 200 euro per year for it and it's only 7m x 1.5m.
I'm pretty sure my brother in law gets his one in London for about 20 quid a year and it's nearly half an acre.
Reckon I'd have to grow a lot of exotic veg to get my money's worth...
I'm inclined to tell them I'm not interested so that someone else who's willing to pay that kind of extortion can have my plot & have a chance to grow a few spuds.
Thoughts anyone?


I'd spend the 200,is there an option to negotiate?I think it'd be a great way to spend some evenings and weekends.

My dad is pretty much self sufficient in that he grows all his own veg,can't beat the freshness.

phog Registered User
#3

I think the allotment idea is a great one, the space is probably bigger than the area that I have at home.

I usually set about 20 spuds, have about 20 strawberry plants, grow lettuce and onions. I have have two rhurbarb stools. I cant grow brassicas or swedes as I have a boron deficiency and the carrot fly has detroyed my carrots so I've given them a rest for a few years.

The concerns I'd have for the size of the area you are being offered is crop rotation, disease/pest/weed control because of close proximity to other allotments. What about security, is water available and do you have a storage space for tools, chemicals and fertilisers. My view is that I think €200 is a bit steep for the size of the plot that you have.

You will probably never save the €200 in veg alone but it certainly an enjoyable pastime and you can have fresh veg when you want it you need to factor that into your decision.

sparkman Registered User
#4

My dilemma is that I actually have a small garden (10 x 10m) out the back. If I really wanted veg I could grow them there but I also have 4 dogs so I need to keep free space for them.
If the allotment was only a few quid a year I'd go for it but since it's 200 and since I'm not completely stuck for garden space, it might be fairer if I let it go so someone else can have a chance.

sparkman Registered User
#5

sorry - to answer your other question - yes there is mains water available, it;s a raised bed filled with soil and it;s under lock and key. No pets allowed and I dunno if there's a place to store tools - doubt it.

theparish Registered User
#6

200 euro,crazy money.You would be better off investing in a few grow containers and even one or 2 small raised beds at home.That area is certainly not big enough for crop rotation and spuds alone would take up most of it.

Itsdacraic Registered User
#7

phog said:
I think the allotment idea is a great one, the space is probably bigger than the area that I have at home.

I usually set about 20 spuds, have about 20 strawberry plants, grow lettuce and onions. I have have two rhurbarb stools. I cant grow brassicas or swedes as I have a boron deficiency and the carrot fly has detroyed my carrots so I've given them a rest for a few years.

The concerns I'd have for the size of the area you are being offered is crop rotation, disease/pest/weed control because of close proximity to other allotments. What about security, is water available and do you have a storage space for tools, chemicals and fertilisers. My view is that I think €200 is a bit steep for the size of the plot that you have.

You will probably never save the €200 in veg alone but it certainly an enjoyable pastime and you can have fresh veg when you want it you need to factor that into your decision.


If you do want to grow carrots I would suggest just getting a deep container (old plastic bath or something), anything with sides over 15" high, as the carrot is actually pretty crap at flying and can't fly more than a few inches off the ground. So if you plant your carrots up a bit higher then they should be safe. Or you could try planting a row of garlic with the carrots as the fly also finds the smell from the garlic a deterrent.

phog Registered User
#8

Itsdacraic said:
If you do want to grow carrots I would suggest just getting a deep container (old plastic bath or something), anything with sides over 15" high, as the carrot is actually pretty crap at flying and can't fly more than a few inches off the ground. So if you plant your carrots up a bit higher then they should be safe. Or you could try planting a row of garlic with the carrots as the fly also finds the smell from the garlic a deterrent.


Thanks for that, I've tried a plastic barrier about 2' high around a carrot bed, the onions and garlic, fly resistant all to no avail, I stopped growing them a few years back, might try them again next year.

fisherp Registered User
#9

I too have been offered an allotment in Limerick city - it works out at about 20 Euros per square metre per year (E200, 7m x 1.5m). A commercial venture in Cappamore is about 3 Euros per square metre per year (8m x 10m E250). An allotment I have been offered in another town works out at about 2 Euro per square metre per year (E40, 8ft x 3ft). A commercial venture in Clare also works out at about 1.50 Euro per metre squared per year (E200, 60ft x 20ft)
The size of the Limerick allotments is too small and the price way too high and I am writing to Limerick City Council, the Mayor (whose pet project this is), the local press (Leader, Post) and anyone else I can think of to let them know - if others do likewise the City Council might rethink their prices.
The relevant people to contact are Mayor Maria Byrne, Sinead McDonnell, Catherine Curley & Paul Foley all at Limerick City Council (smcdonnell@limerickcity.ie, pfoley@limerickcity.ie, mayor@limerickcity.ie, ccurley@limerickcity.ie), letters@limerickleader.ie, letters@limerickpost.ie

3 people have thanked this post
phog Registered User
#10

fisherp said:
I too have been offered an allotment in Limerick city - it works out at about 20 Euros per square metre per year (E200, 7m x 1.5m). A commercial venture in Cappamore is about 3 Euros per square metre per year (8m x 10m E250). An allotment I have been offered in another town works out at about 2 Euro per square metre per year (E40, 8ft x 3ft). A commercial venture in Clare also works out at about 1.50 Euro per metre squared per year (E200, 60ft x 20ft)
The size of the Limerick allotments is too small and the price way too high and I am writing to Limerick City Council, the Mayor (whose pet project this is), the local press (Leader, Post) and anyone else I can think of to let them know - if others do likewise the City Council might rethink their prices.
The relevant people to contact are Mayor Maria Byrne, Sinead McDonnell, Catherine Curley & Paul Foley all at Limerick City Council (smcdonnell@limerickcity.ie, pfoley@limerickcity.ie, mayor@limerickcity.ie, ccurley@limerickcity.ie), letters@limerickleader.ie, letters@limerickpost.ie


I wish you well but I fear you're wasting your time writing to any of the elected members of the local authority.

teddyhead Registered User
#11

Im in the same boat Sparkman .I was lucky enough to be picked . Alas it will cost me more than I can afford as I am on the dole . I believe there is some flexibility but not much . People were only given one weeks notice .
200 squids is a lot of money for most people on the dole .
An installment plan would make sense but there dosent seem to be one .
Also I was hoping for something on the southside but no site was made available . .
At least I am lucky to have a little scrap of garden to tip away on .

#12

Where will the allotments be located?

ABEasy Registered User
#13

I have seen a poster for allotments in ballyneety, sorry can't remember size, think it's the same place as the airsoft place. Price was €200 aswell.

fisherp Registered User
#14

The reply I got from LImerick city council was that they have no plans to change the price of the allotments.

theparish Registered User
#15

There is an article in todays Limerick Post about the allotments.

Want to share your thoughts?

Login here to discuss!